Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Being the impulse shopper I am, I just bought the SiliconDust HDHomeRun, a dual HD OTA/QAM tuner network device.

My plan is to replace my aging TiVo with some sort of DVR device, though I haven't figured out the specifics yet.

Since I don't have an HDTV right now, I suspect that my watching of HD content will be limited to streaming things to my iMac.

I also have an older Hauppage TV tuner car which will allow me to use my cable box via its composite input. Not ideal, but I'm mainly using the cable box for paid content like NHL games.

So my question is thus:

Is MythTV (or any other software, I haven't made any decisions yet) smart enough to know combine all the channels available on all three inputs into one master TV listing, while being smart enough to know that if I want to watch a paid TV source like NHL Centre Ice that it MUST use the Hauppage card to tune that channel?

Ideally the Hauppage card would be set up ONLY to record the paid tiers since I don't want to use that source for something the HD tuners can pick up, and I don't want to get myself into a pickle where I want to record an NHL game and I find that the cable box is recording Mad Money or something that the other tuners could be taking care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm tired of switching my Hauppauge HVR950's coax from antenna to cable all the time. Does anyone know if attaching a splitter in reverse (two inputs, one output) will let me connect both cables to the tuner? Obviously I'd still need to tell the tuner whether it is set up as an ATSC or NTSC tuner, but that is much easier than unscrewing a cable and screwing in another one.

Will the two signals (ota atsc and basic analog cable) interfere with each other? Do splitters even work in "reverse" that way?

I'm jumping on the Mythbuntu train as well. I have this HVR950 that I'll move from my iMac to my HTPC box, a Twinhan FTA DVB-S card, and a few ATI TV wonders I've salvaged. Now if only I hadn't fried my motherboard two days ago. That'll teach me to make sure that there aren't any spare motherboard posts lying under the motherboard after I've assembled it :suicide:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 28, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dfn_doe posted:

That won't work, but there are switch boxes for doing exactly this. I'm curious why you don't just us one of the other tuner cards you have to tune the ntsc cable stuff and keep the 950 dedicated to atsc tuning.

I fried my HTPC motherboard so until I can get it replaced I'm back to using the 950 on my iMac which has no PCI slots, hence no way to use the other tuners :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The last time I checked a year or so ago, the best way to get cable HD into an HTPC was to ask your cableco for a cable box that supported IEEE-1349 output. I forgot the particulars but the FCC mandated something about their availability, but again it was a year or so ago and I could just be mixing my facts.

Basically I think the gist of it was that some TVs supported firewire input so some cable boxes supported firewire. Your computer would be hooked up via the 1394 port and tell the cable box to change channels/etc, and the video signal would be fed back along the firewire cable and decoded by your PC.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 7, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I'm finally going to get around to buying a motherboard and CPU (like, drive out and buy one tonight, I hope) to build my HTPC today.

As far as motherboards go, is there a huge falloff between the large Intel/Asus brand name boards and some of the smaller names like Biostar/ECS/etc?

I'll be getting a warranty with whatever I buy so I should be covered, but is there anything I should desperately hope to stay away from?

Edit: It may be a moot point since I'm sort of thinking about this bundle.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 8, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, I finally did it. I put one together

- Asus P5N-E
- C2D 2.40
- 4GB DDR2
- EVGA GeForce 8400GS w/256MB PCIe
- a TB disk space :whatup:
- SilverStone LC17 black case

Its a badass little box, but its loud as gently caress. It's got a Thermaltake Max Orb that someone gifted me and about four 80mm fans in addition to a bunch of drives, so I'll have to work something out because it's a little too noisy :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I *suppose* if you were trying to feed a resolution that is higher than what the TV can accept there could be a problem, though I would be incredibly surprised if it actually broke the TV.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

KillGizmo posted:

What power supply did you go with?

Shoot, I'll have to check when I get home -- it was another "gifted to me" item.

Juriko posted:

If you want HD over cable or satellite you're not going to be doing it with an HTPC

That's not necessarily correct. If you can find a satellite that broadcasts free-to-air HD channels and have a beefy machine you will be able to pull down some HD. Though I guess in the general sense you're correct since I'm pretty sure that most FTA channels are next to useless unless you like watching arabic programming or other limited-interest content.

I think a more accurate statement would have been "If you want mainstream HD over satellite you're not going to be doing it legally" :v:

That being said, I just ordered a cheap Twinhan 1020A DVB-S card to see what if anything FTA *does* have to offer. Worst case I'll be watching Married With Children in Lebanese.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 10, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you guys do about cable clutter? I tried to be incredibly neat and organized in my arrangement of cables and connectors but everything still comes out looking like a bird's nest. Main culprits are the IDE cables for my DVDRW and two IDE drives. SATA cables are no problem, but these flat IDE cables just seem to get in the way everywhere. Also, there are some power cables that are dragged around the case everywhichway but I guess there's not much to be done about that :(

Edit: Also since it was asked, this is the psu in my htpc.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 10, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kreez posted:

-Round off the IDE cables as much as possible by scrunching them together and duct taping. Or if you have steady hands, use an exacto knife to slice them into thirds and stack them on top of each other. Cleaner looking than just scrunching them. I'm about 4 for 8 lifetime on doing this without slicing into copper, but I always have 80 calbes lying around, so it's no big deal.
-Use zip ties to bundle excesss length on every cable
-For the power cables, go under the motherboard (applies to IDE as well) or behind drive cages if they're long enough.
-Fan cables and button/LED cables can be taped to the sides of the case.

edit: Go to the silentpcreview gallery forum, open a dozen threads, and take a look at different cable ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions. I destroyed one of my IDE cables so I just went and bought two rounded cables for $8, hopefully they help with some of the clutter. I'm going to ziptie that and the SATA cables into one small bundle.

I'll be checking out the silentpcreview site, thanks!

Edit: At the moment it looks like one of the loudest components I can hear is the VGA fan. I'll have to look at either replacing it or I don't know what :pwn:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 12, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I stream 720p from my iMac to my 360 all the time. I'm not too big up on HD formats and codecs so I'm not sure whether the fact that it's WMV 720p makes it any more wifi friendly, but I've never had a problem streaming that stuff over 54mbit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Expiration Date, is S3 sleep enabled in your BIOS' ACPI/Power settings?

I think the suspend modes are something like this:

S1 = suspend CPU operation
S3 = suspend to RAM
S4 = suspend to Disk / hibernate, but that's not really what anyone is looking for nor is it motherboard dependant I think.

So if you only have S1 enabled in BIOS then Vista can't tell the computer to go to S3 sleep and shut everything down, all it can do is kill the CPU and everything else is still active. At least that's my understanding of how this crazy poo poo works.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fitret, I'm not too qualified to give CPU recommendations but I do think that recording HD/SD is more a matter of disk IO since you're storing an MPEG transport stream. There should be no CPU decoding going on during this phase to the best of my knowledge, so fast storage is probably more important here (i.e., shouldn't record HD to external USB device).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fitret posted:

With gigabit ethernet, could I record it to a network drive? What about 10/100? Thanks for the info :)

Yeah I definitely can't give a solid answer here. My gut says that you would be within physical throughput limitations, but there are a lot of factors that go into the availability of that drive other than the cable you're pumping data through.

I suppose one thing you can try to do is play a movie locally, then move it to the network drive and try playing it again. Playing it locally would be the watermark for your test. If it played fine locally but doesn't play over the network without skipping or lagging, that is probably your answer.

Edit: Although now that I think about it, I've streamed 720p content to my 360 before so maybe I'm talking out my rear end :confused:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 11, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have any of you guys had any experience with this HD transciever?

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Aside from the fact that it still uses your cable company's box to tune, this seems like pretty much the ideal solution to HD input on an HTPC.

Edit: Oh also it recompresses, so you're getting double compression. I wonder what the net effect on quality is in a real world scenario.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'm in no shape to actually buy one of these right now, but I did notice it integrates into SageTV (sagetv will sell you a package deal, tuner + software), and that just happens to be what I'm using. In any event, it's got to be easier than the complicated rear end DBV-S setup I'm shoehorning together right now :(

I'll probably investigate one in a year or so as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guys, I don't know if there is a better thread for this question, but it's relatively HTPC software related so:

Does anyone use MediaHint to play live BBC content in Google Chrome? I'm just getting the "This content doesn't seem to be working" error, whereas it worked flawlessly before now. I installed the Hola Chrome extension and that gave me access to my precious BBC news (http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/bbcnews/live), but I'm trying to figure out whether the BBC just put something in place to break MediaHint or whether it's something specific to my machine.