Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Finally upgrading my HTPC after many years. Got this case:

Also got:

PC CHIPS P23G LGA 775 VIA P4M800 PRO Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 356 Cedar Mill 3.33GHz

Everything else is spare parts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
I have to say, getting HD content to play smoothly with VLC has proven impossible. However, Zoom Player with the CoreAVC codec (and H.264 disabled in FFDshow), HD content is as smooth as butter and looks fantastic.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Mister Biff posted:

Does anybody have any HDD recommendations? What brands to stay away from, what's not worth the money, etc. I'll probably be using SATA, for what it's worth.

I've been consistantly buying Seagates, mainly because they are reliable, and all of them come with a 5 year warranty (versus a typical drive having a 3 year warranty).

You can check the decibel rating too, as it is something listed in the specs of a HDD.