Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorknHull
Jun 5, 2003
Started a HTPC project a little while ago and it has progressed quite well so far ...

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
ASUS M2NPV-VM Mobo (only one I could find with component out)
512MB DDR2
30GB Quantum Fireball IDE HD (has outlasted a number of newer hard drives so far)
250GB Seagate SATA2 HD
Leadtek Winfast DTV2000H PCI Tuner
Pioneer Silver DVD/RW
Netgeat WG311 Wireless NIC
Antec HTPC Case
MS MCE Remote Control, Keyboard, etc.

Feeding to a 106cm Panasonic Viera Plasma TV

Originally I had a cutdown version of XP Running along with Mediaportal but got the shits after a while as it was slow and buggy.

Ended up just over the weekend converting the whole setup to Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft + OpenBox + MythTV with Xine as the main playing software. I can say it has definitely made a difference, and most important of all ... everything works (remotes, wireless, etc.) little interference needed. Just need to install an FTP server to transfer new movies easily. MCE Keyboard support is in progress on Sourceforge, so thats the next thing to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU