Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutusBeefcake
Jun 6, 2003
I guess I am kind of borrowing HVD's question, but I can be a little more specific. I am considering building a HTPC, but ALL I really want/need it to do is to play High Def (at least 720P) x264/avi files over HDMI/DVI with minimum 5.1 sound. I don't need to use it to watch tv, play DVD's, or do anything fancy. Can anyone point me in the least expensive direction? I would prefer it to have a decent sized hard drive, but that is not essential.

EDITED to remove HD confusion.

BrutusBeefcake fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutusBeefcake
Jun 6, 2003
I just saw this deal for a barebones PC (has everything but an operating system) from Tiger Direct. Any thoughts on how this would work as a start for a HTPC? I am very encouraged by the DVI out and the 2 gigs of RAM. The whole thing is just 350 bucks.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3163629&sku=I69-2146%20H&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1379C

Quick specs from the website:

" One of our most extreme barebone kits ever. And we’re selling it for a price that will save you hundreds over an equally powerful pre-built system. This affordable barebone includes an Intel Pentium D 940 3.2GHz DT 800FSB CPU, Intel’s D945GCCRL Socket 775 MicroATX motherboard, a Seagate 250GB SATA HDD with NCQ, an XFX GeForce 6200 TurboCache 64MB GDDR2 video card that supports 256MB, along with an Optiarc 18XD DVDRW OEM SuperMulti optical drive. And our product experts have selected 1024MB of Ultra’s PC4200 DDR2 memory at 533MHz to give your system the versatility and agility it needs to master the most advanced applications. Dressed in our new Power Up Corporate ATX case complete with a 450-watt power supply, your new system will be ready for anything you could possibility imagine.

Plus, for a limited time only, receive an additional 1GB DDR2 PC4200 memory for FREE!"

BrutusBeefcake fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 6, 2007

BrutusBeefcake
Jun 6, 2003

RibeyeJaksom posted:

450 watts sounds like overkill and it will probably be really loud.

Good catch on that. For only $350 for the system maybe I can just upgrade the power supply to something quieter, unless anyone knows of a cheaper system out there.