Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

perfect posted:

I am using the S-video output of the video card to watch on my TV.

S-video can only output in 480i and playing HD videos won't look any better than standard definition content such as DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

TGuard50 posted:

I don't have a dedicated htpc, but i recently bought a 25 foot HDMI cable to run from my desktop's video card to my new tv.

The video card is an ATI 6870, with 2 displayports and 2 DVIs. I'm already using the 2 DVI's for my dual monitor setup. Can I buy a regular hdmi to displayport adapter to get the TV to hook into my computer? Or will I need a special kind (powered/active)?

You'll need an active adapter unless one of your monitors has a display port connection you can use.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Forum Joe posted:

My question is, would an NVidia Shield meet my needs? Is the streaming better than Steam’s offering?
Any other solutions people want to suggest?

Steam and GameStream both use NVFBC for stream file capture as far as I know, so they should be pretty similar for latency. You can go into your steam streaming log file to see which part of your setup is slowing things down. There's a post on how to do it here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/540733523404402134/ If it says slow decode is to blame, then a shield would probably improve things for you.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

The only audience for streaming from a laptop is this small and very specific niche of weird older nerds who haven't bothered to keep up with the times.

The only thing I've found this marginally useful for is watching things like Twitch with ads blocked. DNS ad blocking doesn't seem to stop Twitch ads, but uBlock Origin does.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Fine by me, Amazon can built their voice recognition on the backs of others. I'll keep my privacy... for now.

This is some silly libertarian poo poo. I'm sure there's some privacy invading thing that you're using that you didn't know about.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Just because there are some privacy invading aspects of the things you use on a daily basis doesn't mean you should just give up and give everyone anything and is not some "silly libertarian poo poo". That's some silly poo poo.

I meant being ok with others getting screwed over by not being as savvy as you are about opt-out settings is silly because you're probably missing some opt-outs too.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

tuyop posted:

You are extremely triggered by my observation that your old gaming pc uses more electricity than something else. This is a strange response to a discussion about the functionality of an appliance.

To be fair an idle system without a GPU probably isn't using more than 50-60 watts. You can also have it go to sleep if you're going to be using a keyboard with it. It's clunky but it's probably not wasting more than :10bux: a year if you let it sleep when you're not using it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The NAS thread in SH/SC can probably answer specific questions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

For your use case a platter drive is fine and an SSD would be extremely overkill though.

If the Shield TV is working for you there's no need to move Plex to the NAS.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Will a regular Bluetooth receiver work, or does it have to use Spotify connect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

weirdly aggro