Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
The other day I read a review from a Korean site (I think) that had CPU stats on decoding 1080p H.264 streams with the 8500/8600 series of cards. On a Sempron 2800 they were reporting 18% CPU usage with an 8500. Same CPU was %90+ decoding with a 7600, and probably dropping frames. I think I might wait and see how cheap those cards can get, they're available for around $100 now. Unfortunately, that means I'm gonna have to upgrade my HTPC motherboard to something that can take PCI-E, which means new CPU, etc.

This also means I'm gonna have to buy a copy of Windows to run on my HTPC, since nvidia has no current plans to extend their XWindows drivers to support the new decoding features.

I tried to figure out what the deal is with hardware decoding on linux, but it seems like such a clusterfuck I might as well not even try. Very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

V-Men posted:

I didn't realize some of the 8500s and 8600s were so cheap. Bit of a downer about waiting on the XP drivers for Purevideo though.
Even more of a downer is that we'll probably never get support in Linux, or it will take years to show up. I have a mythTV setup that works great for me, I put a lot of work into customizing my remote for it, and I'm gonna have to start over (and pay for vista or XP/Media Center).

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

Os Furoris posted:

What are you all using for regular DVD playback off the disc? VLC is giving me all kinds of trouble and stutters, and sometimes I just want to pop in a DVD to watch instead of having to rip it first.

Decent-quality region-unlockable DVD players are so cheap it's kind of ridiculous. Between that and DVD-playing game consoles, I have never needed nor wanted to play a DVD using anything but a dedicated piece of DVD hardware. I have one of the old Philips DivX/XVid players, and it cost me less than $50. Optical sound output, component, great picture.

I know media players are getting better at dealing with dvd menus and such, but I don't think they're going to be as good as a DVD player from years ago for a while.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

titaniumone posted:

I'm pretty sure the 1.6GHZ mini can handle x264/h264 720P and 1080P content OK.

I am pretty sure that you will find this not to be the case, especially with 1080P h264. There is absolutely no way a Mini will be able to keep up.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

titaniumone posted:

According to this SH/SC thread, it can play x264 1080p just fine. I posted there as well to try to get factual information as opposed to assumptions.

Apple's 1080 movie trailers are very low bitrate and use few of the codec features as compared to actual content from a Blu-Ray disk, for example. People need to stop using them as a benchmark for general 1080P capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

titaniumone posted:

Do you actually have a Mini, or not? I doubt that it can do it myself, but people in the thread are saying with x264 encoded rips at 5mbps+ video bitrate it plays just fine. I'm looking for confirmation, not speculation.

I do not, so feel free to disregard my speculation.