Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If I were to build a HTPC, I'd get a NSK2400.

It houses a MicroATX board, comes with a 380W PSU, has 2 120MM fans, good ventillation, is pretty quiet, and is basically based off the 180B. Also, it's a desk/hometheater case, as it sits on it's "side."

Also, it's freaking 50 bucks from Antec's B-stock.
http://www.antec.com/us/pro_b_stock.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

On the input hardware side of things. I used to have some TV Tuner card that worked fairly well for a while. My brother lent it off to a friend and I'll never see it again. What I do have now is an Adaptec Game Bridge USB-TV. So, it has all the same connections as the card I had before, except its USB2.0 instead of PCI. So, there is Composite, S-Video, L/R Audio, and cable coax. What sort of problems could I run into? I have it working on my desktop. If I later made a HTPC (also a desktop), would there be an real disadvantages to using this vs a PCI card?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

K posted:

Hold the phone here, this thing will take cable/satellite HD content? I didn't think any existed besides ATI's thing I posted about on the first page.

If so, this has made me a very happy man.

E: Holy oh my god this does support unencrypted QAM. So how does CableCARD fit into this whole scheme? Once again, I'm lost.

I don't think the cable card does fall in. You might be able to get over the air HDTV and unenecrypted HDTV off your cable line.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Milosh posted:

I've got an old system laying around gathering dust. It's an Amd XP 2000 with 512 megs of ram and a crappy Nvidia card. Could I use it to make a basic HTPC or is it too outdated?

Yes. It can almost certainly use S-video at the very worst. If your TV has VGA or DVI then you can use those, maybe requiring an adaptor. Just don't expect that rig to do well with HD content.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Anyone using Vista MCE to watch their videos? Pretty much my only goal is to watch downloaded videos on my HDTV and play music occasionally. Are you happy with Vista MCE for doing this? Should I bother with other stuff that isn't Vista MCE? Keep in mind I've already installed Vista Ultimate on my HTPC and it will remain that way, since I will be managing my downloads and such on this HTPC as well as occasionally doing normal PC tasks.

Oh and yes I have the Vista codec pack from the Vista thread in SHSC.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Can I get any recommendations for a (Full) ATX HTPC case? I currently have a Antec Sonata II, which is kind of behind the TV and speakers, but it's not an ideal setup. The parts in there are quite good, but they are from my older computer so I had no choice in the form factor when actually building the HTPC. Normally, I'd go with the Antec NSK2400, but I'd like to avoid changing computer hardware since there are additional costs of that as well as re-installing the OS. And in this day and age, if I'm going to change the mobo, I may as well get a new processor and RAM. Anyway, pretty much my only requirements are that it's available in black or black/gray/silver, full ATX, can take 3 HDDs, has front USB connections and is hopefully quiet. Any suggestions?

Specs:
Athlon 64 3000+ (939, overlocked)
Epox EP-9NPA+ motherboard
2GB DDR400
7900GS
Currently in Sonata II case

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ahawks posted:

The real question
Does anyone have an HTPC, running vista, connected to a home theater sound receiver via digital connection? What soundcard do you use?

Yes, Yes, yes and yes. I use the onboard AC'97 using SPDIF (digital coax)

You can pick up a mini-jack to RCA adaptor and use SPDIF in your situation.

dfn_doe posted:

You've just described 85% of the computer chassis on the market...

No. HTPC case usually implies it's sideways, so it fits into a TV stand better, also only 10% of the cases out there are actually quiet. But thanks a lot for this post.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ahawks posted:

I too am very picky about PC noise level. I currently own 2 Antec cases, specifically designed for silence, and have been very pleased with both.

One of them, my HTPC, is a MicroATX (sorry), horizontal. Antec NSK2400 - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129014

The other, my PC, is the Antec P150 (Full ATX, vertical tower) - $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129166

I know neither of these perfectly fit your criteria, but they are excellent cases, and very quiet. Full of nice touches like rubber padded hard drive mounts to suppress HD noise.

Ya, I listed the NSK2400 in my post, and I currently use a SOLO (black version of the P150) for my gaming PC. Well, I guess there's always a chance my ideal HTPC case doesn't exactly exist.

ahawks posted:

I have a mono mini-to-RCA cable, no success with it yet.

In your setup, does the digital connection carry all audio (from Windows startup sound, to mp3s, to DVDs?), or just pre-encoded audio like DVDs and HDTV?

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Good question, I'll check tommorow.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Cross-posted from the SH/SC parts thread:

I've been out of the parts game for a little while now. I'm considering building an HTPC soon. Now, I currently have a half-assed HTPC. It's an Athlon 64 3000+, 2GB DDR400, 7900GS. That is currently adequate for running all of my emulators, 1080P downloaded content, etc on my big screen. However, a few things are bothering me. It's ATX and in a vertical case. I haven't seen an HTPC cases that are ATX that I like/fit my requirements. Also, the on-board USB ports blew on my mobo, which is annoying me. I was considering just buying an mATX motherboard, but apparently 939 boards are going the way of the dingo. I like the Antec NSK2480 case and have found a site to get it fairly cheaply. So my questions are: What would be better, an AM2 system running a lower end X2 or a Intel system running a Celeron Conroe of similar price? Also, which graphics card is generally considered the cheapest, yet can still handle any HD content you can throw at it and has HDCP?

As far as keyboards go, I've been loving this one. I got it for $30 as a deal of the day:
http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-3-Cordless-MediaBoard-Keyboard/dp/B000MFLBBK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1203446909&sr=8-2
My only regret is that it doesn't have Media Keys, but there is always this version:
http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Logitech-Cordless-Mediaboard-Pro/dp/B000W5RBQE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1203446909&sr=8-1

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Either chipset on the low end is going to be fairly interchangable. For what it's worth though, Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are all introducing mATX board with onboard graphic chipsets that do HD decoding (and should all handle HDCP no problem). You can get one 780g chipset now here, and it should be available everywhere by the end of March. The Nvida 8200 chipset is supposed to be soon (AMD chips), but reportedly has some heat issues. The Intel solution is due around June/July.

Also, where did you find a cheap NSK2480? Was it mwave?

Someone had it for $90 shipped last week, but I guess that's gone. Mwave is the next cheapest at ~$100. I think Antec has some B-stock NSK2480s without PSUS for around $70.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Recently moved my HTPC onto a 30" CRT. Does MeediOS allow me to resize the window (to avoid overscan)? Vista MCE won't let me do that. Also it runs pretty slowly to begin with.

Just installed MeediOS and Vintage on my Desktop PC. Time to sleep though, will take a crack at this tommorow.

Edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Nope, since I'm running 480p or 1080i, this is not the case. drat you Nvidia, for some reason.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 29, 2008

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

EC posted:

Yep!

Ok, cool, I will have to play around with that later. Is there anyway to bulk import movies? Granted I know I won't have images for them, but one at a time just won't cut it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Quick question here, searched around on other forums for answers but came up empty.

I bought a new Vista PC with a TV Tuner, there doesn't seem to be a slot in the back for a CableCard and there are two plugs that say ATSC and NTSC. I tried to plug my cable line from the wall directly into the TV Tuner and Windows Media Center could only recognize my regular local channels. However, I have an HD DVR box from Time Warner Cable in NYC.

Do I need to keep my existing setup as is and just run an additional coax cable from my set-top box to my TV Tuner card. Then will Media Center be able to recognize my digital cable channels and such? I thought it would have been as easy as: run cable line from outside straight into TV Tuner on PC and presto, but apparently not.

Thanks in advance.

What? No, nothing you do will let you get anything past 2-99 since your card doesn't take CableCard. You might get some HD channels if you use NTSC coax with an antenna.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

balistic posted:

I have a couple general questions about HDCP, as I've not dealt with it before and it generally scares me.

I just picked up a 30" monitor for my PC, and it now seems to make sense for me to get a 5.25" Blu-Ray drive for watching movies. The monitor (Samsung 305t) is supposedly HDCP compliant and is connected via DVI-D, so no worries there, but I have a couple concerns:

- I'm running XP Pro with service pack 3. Is this kosher for full-res BR playback, or do I need Vista?

- for sound I have a couple powered studio monitors connected to the analog stereo output on my motherboard. Will this setup work with Blu-Ray content? I guess what I'm asking is, will I hear sound through my existing speakers, or will HDCP close the "analog hole"?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm getting conflicting answers from Google.

I don't think that Vista is absolutely required. However, you didn't mention what video card you have. If your video card is not HDCP compliant, then you might be in trouble. Your speakers should be fine.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Crackbone posted:

You could do a lot worse. If bluray playback turns out to be choppy, you could always get a videocard with HD decoding or a faster CPU - either way it would be a minimal upgrade cost.

Probably not. It has a proprietary back plate and not traditional PCI openings in the back. But hopefully Sony chose well when they designed this. That said, I think you could build a better computer for less money though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

visuvius posted:

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just going to leave it on 1920x1080. I'm going to play with XBMC tonight and see how that works for me.

My next question. I have two 50" Plasmas seperated by a wall, one is in the bedroom, one in the living room. What is the easiest way to get them BOTH connected to my PC? I've got a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT and I think it has 2 DVI connections. Can I use the second DVI connection to go to the bedroom plasma? What are my limitations with going this route?

There are no limitations for doing this. You can just go into the NVidia control panel and set either as your primary display. I think you could even make them mirror eachother. Assuming your PC is substantially powerful enough, you could probably just leave it in mirrored mode.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

TraderStav posted:

For someone who does not want DVR capability is around $400 really feasible? I simply want to playback HD content (up to 720p since that's all my TV will do but wouldn't mind 1080p for the future) without any fuss. He mentioned that he is able to play games on his but that functionality is very minor to me (albeit one I wouldn't mind if it didn't jack the price up considerably.

Here are my initial, unresearched thoughts: (note i have no idea the current prices at this time so I'm guesstimating what I would imagine that they would be)

Do what this guy is doing. A Core 2 Duo system is needlessly more expensive. You could opt for the Athlon X2 4850e instead, too. It would save power and heat.

FogHelmut posted:

About to pull the trigger on:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
2 GB of RAM (Crucial Ballistix Tracer, $35 mail in rebate on Newegg ends today)
500 GB Hard Drive (Seagate Barracuda)

Cramming it all in a Antec NSK2480

Any comments, suggestions?

Also, can anyone recommend a wireless keyboard/mouse that works well but wont end up being the most expensive part of my build? The only ones on Newegg with decent reviews seem to cost $75+

My only comment is to get the 4850e instead.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

How do you guys feel about running Windows/whatever OS off of a Compact Flash card? Obviously, you'd put all your media onto a real hard drive, but then your system drive wouldn't take up a bay. All I'd really need for my system is to run Vista and Media Center.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Comcast will most likely be still outputting analog signals... I don't think there is any pressure on TV providers to stop. However, the analog over the air channels are getting the boot, so you're grandpa and his rabbit ears and wood-grain TV set is going to have to upgrade. All of those frequencies have already been auctioned off by the government and will be used for different things.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Juriko posted:

Actually if I remember right cable providers are being forced to continue analog transmissions for another three years.

Yea, I knew it was something like that. The commercials have all said nothing will change for Comcast customers essentially during the much less dramatic when we all thought this "switch over" would be.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

So is there any chance that either the PS3 or 360 will become more robust as far as being used as a media center? I really don't want to build a separate PC to use as a media center put it looks like I'm going to have to.

Xbox360 is getting Netflix on demand stuff. So...yes. Also the the 360 is awesome as a media player, it just can't handle .MKVs and for some reason the NTFS file system. If you use HDLS (mac file system) it's all of a sudden pretty awesome. I use a program called MacDrive to make my PCs able to work with external HLDS drives.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

My old roommate had a 360 and I remember being excited when xvid support was added, but I remember not being able to play a lot of the x264 or h264 stuff I download (I think they were mostly high quality subs of One Piece) because the files had the wrong container or something to that effect. I just want a media player where I don't have to reencode files. XBMC on the original xbox was great but it's not powerful enough to support the new stuff. What problems does it have with NTFS? That seems pretty silly considering all the WinXP users on that file system.

It just won't read NTFS. And that's not just silly because of Windows XP, it's silly because Microsoft made the XBox360 and made NTFS standard on XP and Vista.

stgdz posted:

So what is conisdered the quietest hard drive?(non solid state)
I don't need a large size as my dvr is going in the basement, just need it quiet.

Laptop hard drive is the way to go, then.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

strayan posted:

I was at the store today and saw one of these:

http://www.asus.com/999/images/products/2211/2211_l.jpg

What store? What's the price?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Jook posted:

currently on sale for 69.99 + ~20 shipping:
http://www.micocenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0265324

grabbing one myself for pretty much the exact build that iluvpr0n posted.

I got mine from Buy.com for 92~, with free ship.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Femur posted:

I've been looking at the Sonata Designer that's on sale right now for an HTPC. What do you guys think? It's suppose to be very silent, and I imagine I can just place it on its side; I don't plan to use the dvd player all that much.

Same case as the P150 or SOLO, so check out reviews for that. It is very quiet with the HDD suspension. However, I prefer mATX and the "desktop" (sideways) form for HTPCs. I bought the 2480 for my HTPC and the SOLO for my desktop.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

How does today's Woot look?

Gateway 1.8GHz QuadCore Media Center with HDMI
$289.99 + $5 shipping

Features:

* AMD Phenom X4 9100e 64-bit Quad-Core Processor (1.80GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) with AMD64 Technology
* 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048MB modules), expandable up to 8GB
* Integrated ATI® Radeon™ HD 3200 Hybrid Graphics with up to 256MB of Shared Video Memory
* AMD 780G Chipset
* 1 HDMI and 1 VGA video port
* 640GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive with 16MB Cache
* 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash™ Technology
* 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
* 2 IEEE 1394a Ports(1 Front, 1 Rear)
* 2 PS2 Ports
* 1 - PCI-E x16, 1 - PCI-Ex1 and 1 - PCI Available Expansion Slots
* Gateway® 15-in-1 media card reader with copy button
* 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
* 300W Power Supply
* 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
* 56k ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
* Premium Multimedia Keyboard
* 2-Button USB Optical Wheel Mouse
* Amplified USB Powered Stereo Speakers
* Dimensions (H x W x D): 16.34” x 7.09” x 17.32” (415mm x 180mm x 440mm)
* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit) with SP1

http://www.woot.com

Should have checked here first, but I wrote about it in the coupons Woot thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2195988&pagenumber=112#post365618216

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

What's a good short HTPC case? I like the Antec NSK1480, but the price is a bit high and the reviews for the proprietary PSU are not very assuring. I normally use Antec cases but with the 1480's problems and the 2480 being too tall since I don't need a full height video card, but since I already have a spare PSU, I'm willing to look else where.

I'm doing the AM2/AM3 DDR2/DDR3 shuffle, so I'll probably end up with an X2, 785G and 4GB of DDR2. Should I have any problems playing 1080P through XBMC on Win7?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Huh, i was reading reviews on some of the ion2 nettops and a lot of them say they run worse than the original ion (like the Acer Revo 1600/3610) for HD video because the video chips go through the PCI-E 1x bus. Are any manufacturers fixing this problem?

I don't think it's in their power to fix it. Nvidia isn't sharing something with intel, or vice versa which is causing this to happen. They talked about it a bit in the Netbook thread in SH/SC.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

EC posted:

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 in my HTPC (according to cpuz) and I need a new cooler for it. I noticed when I was swapping out the PSU the other day that the CPU fan is by far the loudest thing in the box. It's just the stock cooler that came with it. Looking at Newegg doesn't let me sort by CPU type, although the ones I looked at seem to be fairly interchangeable nowadays.

Any specific gotchas/brands I should be looking for?

Just make sure its compatible with Socket 775, which essentially everythig is. If you have a full sized case, go with something like a Coolermaster Hyper 212, or something with similar design. If not, check out https://www.silentpcreview.com for their recommended coolers for slimmer cases.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Do we have a shield thread? Just bought one, haven’t set it up yet. Gotta flash my router so it can do NAS like things.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Finally got my QNAP TS-230 and Shield Pro running a Plex Server set up, but I've run into a problem. Plex won't populate my movies. All of my shows/music/movies are on a shared drive from the NAS just in a different folder for each one, and the shows/music all show up. If I put my movie folders in as an "Other Videos" library, they show up but then I don't get movie posters, title parsing, etc.

Any ideas?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Photex posted:

I haven't run into any scraping problems in a long time for Plex my folder layout looks like

TV/Show Title (year)/Season
Movies/Movie Title (year)/

The thing is I had this all set up as a FREENAS Plex system before, the folder system was pretty much the same and most of the files are exactly what they were before, which is why I'm really confused about it now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Photex posted:

I haven't run into any scraping problems in a long time for Plex my folder layout looks like

TV/Show Title (year)/Season
Movies/Movie Title (year)/

Ran everything through TMM. It didn't help...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Had to change the scanner or database type, from Plex to Plex Movie?