Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absolut_V
Oct 8, 2003

Superman That Jones!

Praesil posted:

I have a Dell Dimension 8200

Quick Specs:
2.53 Ghhz processor, 533 FSB
1 Gb RDRAM PC 800
GeForece Ti 4600

I'd really like to do a home theater PC, so I have two options:
-Upgrade my current PC
-Build a new one.

It seems like you are in new build territory if you want HD playback. As you noticed, you cannot get too much more out of your current setup if you upgrade.

I put together a new build several months ago that only ended up being $625. That included:

ECS C19-A SLI
BFG Tech GeForce 7300GS 512MB
2 X CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 3.0GHz LGA 775 Dual Core
Antec SmartPower 500w PS

It was a cheap build and runs media great including HD. I don't game much, but I have no problems running HL2, Doom 3, etc. Putting some more cash into a better video card would likely get you to where you want. This has been awhile, so you could likely get a few steps up on the Proc for the same price now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absolut_V
Oct 8, 2003

Superman That Jones!

geera posted:

Does anyone happen to have a link to an XBMC installation walkthrough from A-Z? I realized I have an Xbox sitting there doing nothing, so I'd like to turn it in to a HTPC, but the information I've found on how to do it seems cobbled together and not very organized. I read you can avoid the whole mod-chip thing and soft-mod the xbox using a copy of Mechwarrior, and then install XBMC via FTP. That's what I'd like to do, but I can't for the life of me find clear instructions on how to perform the softmod.

You want this.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2363216
I have modded several xboxes with Wafflezone's kits and they have all worked perfectly.

Absolut_V
Oct 8, 2003

Superman That Jones!

JohnnyBravo posted:

It looks good. The only thing I'd change is the hard drives. I'm not sure how much I trust Samsung hard drives. I work in IT and I didn't know they even had a line of them. I also don't see any information about them having a warranty. If you wanted to save a tiny bit of money and lose a bit of space you could get a couple 400 GB Seagates for $99 which come with 5 year warrantys.

I highly suggest this.

Edit: To add something more to this thread.

I am pretty competant building an htpc, but I have something more sophisticated in mind for my next build so I would love some input.

First, I want a case that really fits in with A/V components. I have only ever built into a normal case. I have looked mainly at Silverstone cases and like the designs. Is anyone familiar with any other companies? I am looking for a case with good build quality, and I would likely prefer one that will accept full size cards. My receiver is fairly large, so something along that line would not bother me.

Second, I think I want to go with Vista for my new system. Is anyone familiar with how well VistaMCE handles media. Are there any other programs or seperate plugins that work well with Vista?

Absolut_V fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 9, 2007