Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pooper scooper
Oct 23, 2003
Shovel. Rake. Bag.
I'm new to the HTPC scene, and I'm interested in learning how to put together something basic. I'm hoping your responses will not only lend themselves to helping me out, but to anyone else who is delving into this for the first time as well.

Just to give you a base of reference... on a scale of 1 to awesome I rate my A/V know-how at a 3, and my PC/Networking know-how at a 7.

What I have now:
1 plain old TV (15+ years old)
1 Comcast Cable connection with basic cable (coax)
No cable box (the coax cable is plugged directly into the TV).

What I want to do:
Purchase a brand new HDTV
Build an HTPC to record my favorite TV shows

What I do not plan to do:
Upgrade to premium cable. Basic cable suits me fine: I don't want or need premium channels, eg. HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/etc.

Questions up-front:
Do I need a cable box?
Do I need to call Comcast to "upgrade" my basic cable to basic HDTV cable?
Are there any limitations I need to know about?

My proposed setup involves the following:
1) HTPC Case and all the requisite guts (irrelevant right now)
2) A Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 (ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC TV Tuner)
3) OS (I prefer the idea of using Mythbuntu, but will settle for VISTA)
4) Sharp AQUOS 37" 1080p LCD HDTV
6) Super Spiffy Sound Card
7) Cables

How I propose to do this:
Step 1: Connect one end of the Coax cable to the wall, and the other end into the Coax input jack on the Hauppauge card.
Step 2: Connect the video card to the TV using a double-ended DVI-I cable
Step 3: Connect my speakers to the sound card
Step 4: Figure out what the hell the remote control is for.

Final question: am I doing it wrong?

I realize this is a lot of text to digest, and I'm prepared to draw this in MSPaint for the more visually-oriented goons.

pooper scooper fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooper scooper
Oct 23, 2003
Shovel. Rake. Bag.

dfn_doe posted:

What you want to do should work fine, I'd recommend adding a 1>2 splitter inline with your cable and hooking up both the analog and digital tuner on your hvr-1600. You will probably find that most of your basic lineup is available in digital over unencrypted QAM, but the channels which aren't available there will be available in analog (since that is what your are tuning now with your existing set's built in analog tuner.)
Getting guide info for some of your digital channels may be a hassle and depending on what dvr software you use this can be a considerable pain in the rear end to get working correctly. That said, I use beyondtv with an hvr1600 hooked up as I've recommended (with an extra 2 digital tuners by way of an hd homerun) and after the initial process of identifying each of the digital channels and mapping it to an appropriate "channel" of the supplied guide service everything works great. There are only a handful of channels which I actually watch that are only available as standard def analog signals (primarily espn) but seeing as how you're happy with your current selection of standard def analog channels I think you'll find that the channels which you do end up getting in hidef digital are a nice bonus that don't cost end up costing you a dime extra. You needn't get any upgrade from your cableco, although they'll probably tell you different if you ask them.

Good luck.

ah, forgot to mention that only some versions of the hvr1600 support QAM, the only way to tell (unless they've changed the packaging) is by a model number revision sticker that is on the card itself. There is a KB article on the Hauppage website which spells out in plain language how to locate the sticker and confirm your card's capabilities.

This is a very helpful, and encouraging reply! Nice to know I'm on the right track. Thank you so much.

pooper scooper
Oct 23, 2003
Shovel. Rake. Bag.
By this, you mean an HDMI signal that can carry audio?

I didn't think that was possible, unless I'm thinking of the HDMI <-> DVI conversion.

Besides-- I want to use a set of external speakers I have, not the built-in TV speakers.

pooper scooper fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 27, 2009

pooper scooper
Oct 23, 2003
Shovel. Rake. Bag.
Okay, I drew up a schematic during lunch.

Here is what I'm aiming to do:

Is this a good setup, if my goal is to timeshift dirty jobs in High Definition?

Once again, my current setup is Comcast Basic Cable that's plugged into a 15 year old TV. No Set Top Box. I want to replace that with ^^^^^^^^^ as proposed.

pooper scooper fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 27, 2009

pooper scooper
Oct 23, 2003
Shovel. Rake. Bag.
Hmmm ok let me try to explain this in terms I understand...

The Coax cable coming out of my wall carries the following signals:

NTSC (Analogue Standard Definition)
ClearQAM (Digital Standard Definition)
ClearQAM (Digital High Definition)
Encrypted/Premium (Analogue Standard Definition)
Encrypted/Premium (Digital High Definition)

My 15 year old Analogue TV is seeing analogue NTSC channels. Because I don't have HBO/Cinemax/Showtime, I am not accessing the Encrypted/Premium channels right? This is why I can watch my local news channel as well as dirty jobs (in standard definition) by plugging the coax into the TV.

My proposed setup, will get me NTSC and ClearQAM in digital standard definition and high definition, correct? I should be able to see my local news channel in standard (or HD if available), as well as Dirty Jobs in standard (and HD if available).

But the problem is, cable companies are encrypting shows like Dirty Jobs (Digital SD and HD), which would require some kind of Cable Access Card and all that weird complicated poo poo that puts this in the too-hard-to-do category?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooper scooper
Oct 23, 2003
Shovel. Rake. Bag.
Thanks, you're most helpful.

The last two or three pages of this thread have been really informative and relevant to newbies like myself.