Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
This thread saved me a lot of cash, I'd been about to blow close to $500 on another Shuttle-centric HTPC. Instead I ordered my AD10 and 4g of Crucial and I'm very, very happy with the results so far. Also got this little remote, lovin it. Much better solution than those little touchpad keyboards (guess I should have mentioned this is the iPazzPort Fly Mouse 2.4ghz):

So thanks!

I'm currently troubleshooting the wi-fi, our Roku box has been handling HD content over wireless without issue. However as many have said regarding this box's wi-fi, it seems extremely weak. Oh well I've been meaning to drill holes for cat6 in the floor anyway :dance:

JosephSkunk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I made my HTPC out of an ad10/Openelec and am experiencing the expected happiness. It's so perfect, that now I want to convert the rest of the house, currently running on Win XP and Win7. Problem is, I'm one PC form factor short, and I blew all my xmas cash on the ad10 stuff.

My current setup:

AD10/Openelec box hooked up to the "big" LCD TV which is awesome and I do not want to change this at all.
Shuttle running Win7 just fine. LCD monitor, bedroom TV. No reason to change this, it's got horsepower enough for whatever it needs and then some.
Athlon XP 2800+ box with 512mb RAM and cast-off drives. This is currently the downstairs projector HTPC, an easy task for it since the InFocus IN72 projector it's hooked to only pushes 854x480 native resolution.
My gaming system, which unfortunately at this time shares duty as the home file server since I didn't have enough hdd space until my birthday last week.

Now that I'm centering the home's HTPC experience around XBMC in various flavors, drawing their movie from a central file system, I need to move this off my gaming PC. I finally got the drive to do it, a 3tb drive that should hold most everything until i decide to finish the 720p conversion. My challenge is that I've run out of old computers to fashion into servers, and I'm already paying out too much on juice every month for all of the computers in the house. My plan is to make the downstairs projector HTPC into an Ubuntu file server, and acting as a projector box at the same time. To do so I'll upgrade the RAM to 2gig and add various drives. It's already running a decent enough video card to compensate for the half-gig of RAM. Will this work? My intention is to make the local login open directly into xbmc running with no permissions so that the HTPC experience will be transparent, while remote sessions will allow administration of the file server. While two other HTPCs are potentially reading 720p movies simultanously from the same system...

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I put together an ad10 not long ago, but am now kicking myself because if I'd known these would be around http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451&tab_idx=1 I would have just gone Android for my TV instead. Now that there are Android apps that can play .avi vOv