Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

King Hotpants posted:

The narrator in that LinuxMCE video has possibly the most "Linux" voice on earth. The subtle disdain for Microsoft, the air of superiority, the nasally overtones. It's all there. ;)

I couldn't stand listening to more than a few minutes worth for the same reason. "Hrrmmm! I wonder what .... Micro$ofts'ssss... designers figured was more important? Users media.... or the Windows PC interface?!"

Anyway, I am about to choose a completely different option... using a Mac Mini as a HTPC. I'm going to start with just the base Mini and a Miglia TVMini HD. As far as the front end goes, I'll probably just use Front Row to start and EyeTV for PVR-type-stuff.

Does anyone here have experience using a Mac as a HTPC? Are there better apps for the front end than Front Row? Are there any major downsides to using a Mac / Mac Mini as a HTPC? Obviously I know I won't be playing HD-DVD or Blue-ray from it, but that's not an issue for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU