Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Could you also do a network drive if you have another XP/Vista/7 machine?

Yes. I have a Dell tower in my basement connected by ethernet to my router. A 500MB Lacie USB drive is connected to my Dell via USB. The drive is shared out using basic windows File sharing. This server also runs uTorrent.

Connected to me TV is a mini tower running XP and XBMC. No problems viewing standard def for me via a wireless connecting. After some upgrades I'll be able to stream HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Fist of Fury posted:

On the subject of hardware RAID solutions and software RAID (i.e. Windows Dynamic Disks) for HTPC's:

Don't. I wouldn't. Anecdotally speaking here, I've come so close to having to re-rip my entire CD and DVD collections on several occasions thanks to losing one drive in the array and for some reason having no way of recovering the other drive without TestDisk. RAID for HTPC's is just dodgy as gently caress.

So there's one issue with it--reliability--but the other (more HTPC-specific) problem is that if you're so concerned about low power, then why the heck would you want more hard drives spinning up and sucking power than you absolutely have to? Here's what I did, and I'm super happy with the results (caveat: Had to defer to smarter goons to learn about this, but it definitely deserves reposting):

Use Robocopy to do nightly incremental backups of your critical drives. Why incremental backups with Robocopy? Because

- It's free and already comes with Windows.
- You only want to backup files that have changed and don't want the drive spinning up copying stuff that is duplicate anyway
- You also probably don't want backups of things you've deleted off your critical drives
- And maybe it's a real challenge to cram every single piece of media you own onto even a terabyte drive or two (which is why you're deleting things every now and then), let alone ANOTHER drive or partition that you use specifically for backups?
- The backup drives will duplicate the file structure of what you're backing up exactly. Much better than, say, Windows Backup, where it's all put in this giant-rear end file that can only be recovered through Windows Backup.

This solution makes it so that your backup drive(s) sync up to your critical drives once a day instead of ALL THE TIME with dubious results like in a RAID setup.

Create a batch file called backup.bat containing something like this (syntax and flags are all in the wiki):

code:
robocopy z: t: /e /mir /xd dirs $RECYCLE.BIN /xd dirs "System Volume Information" /xd dirs TempRec
robocopy y: s: /e /mir /xd dirs $RECYCLE.BIN /xd dirs "System Volume Information"
where drive Z contains movies to back up to drive T and drive Y contains music to back up to S.

Now you run backup.bat as a Windows scheduled task daily, weekly, or whatever floats your boat. Done.

What version of windows are you using?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Fist of Fury posted:

Windows 7. (the free Windows Media Center 7 is niiiiceee. I use that for TV and then Boxee + Hulu Desktop for streaming and media playback.)

From the wiki,

If you're running something older than Vista, you just download the Windows Resource Kit for free and it's in there.

Oh that's right. I remember using this on win2k3 server years ago. Thanks for the info

EDIT: Looks like you can get a GUI for Robocopy as well http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6148549.html

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 11, 2010

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Hey does anyone have the Revo 3610? The one with the wireless mouse/keyboard?

I just purchased one and i was wondering about the usb dongle that allows the mouse/keyboard to connect. Is that an RF dongle? Could i connect other devices (likea remote control) to it? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure its RF. I have the dongle in a USB port on the back and the its not in any line of site. I can use the mouse and keyboard from anywhere in the room so far.

Not sure about conneccting other devices to it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

maniacripper posted:

So my old PC I use for my home theatre just got the windows 7 upgrade it needed to do hardware decoding for hd video. We had to wait on a DVI to HDMI cable so we ran it with VGA for a few days, and everything worked fine. We're using a toslink for sound from my onboard Realtek ALC850.

When we switched to the HDMI all of a sudden the sound card was causing issues and XBMC said there was an error in the config and stopped producing any sound.

Mediaplayer Home Classic still puts out sound and I've tried seemingly every mix and match of settings in XBMC to get it working to no avail. I know it has something to do with HDMI and the way it handles sound but can someone shoot me in the right direction?

Video card using the HDMI out is a nvidia 9800gt.

What do you have listed in Settings - System - Audio Output?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Any revo users have this problem? When I play a video in XBMC the screen goes black for about 3 seconds and then starts playing normal again.

Sorry, I should say that this is on Windows and using HDMI in case that matters

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 13, 2010

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Fox_Spy posted:

Okay, I got my Revo back today. I've got it plugged into my TV via HDMI. The resolution is currently set at 1280x720(recommended resolution). This resolution though is cutting off the edges. For a reference point here, the windows 7 Start Menu button, I see the top right quarter of it. If I switch to a lower resolution, I get a black border around the screen. I'm hoping the NVidia ION update that it's currently downloading along with the other windows updates will fix this, but has anyone else seen this with connecting a computer via HDMI? My TV is a Panasonic TC-50PX14, which their site says has a native resolution of 1368x768, but that's just worse. Although that does work via VGA. I'm continuing to check and see what I can find online.

Yep, this happened to me. I did download new drivers and things got better. Although there is a very slight chance I adjusted some of my TV settings but I'm 99.99999999% sure new drivers helped.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

oh teh randomness posted:

I got a Revo and I would really like to stream wirelessly.

I get a fair bit of stuttering trying this on SD video. HD video is a non-starter.

I am assuming this is because I am on a wireless-g router.

The Revo supports Wireless-n. Has anyone tried streaming video with the Revo wirelessly? I am really looking for some feedback on how to get this working. I'd also like a recommendation on w wireless-n router if this will work.

I tried this and gave up on it. I was using a Wireless N router but the signal was so weak that it was causing the video to buffer more then RealPlayer in 1997.

The the Home Networking thread in SHSC for more info on why the N protocol isn't really all there yet.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have a Revo 3610 and wanted to know if there are any issues with laying it on its side instead of using the stand? I'm changing setups and its currently config doesn't really work for me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

As everyone is saying, the Revo 3610 is a great option. Out of the box you will have issues though. There are plently of guides available that will show you what bloatware to remove, drivers to update, and Media software (such as XBMC) to install.

It has a very tiny footprint and quiet as hell too.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

scanlonman posted:

I'm having a problem running XBMC on an older dell. I'm using integrated graphics(intel extreme graphics 2), but I only want to playback avi.

I'm getting a white screen when I try to watch my videos with XBMC, everything else works fine. The avi works great in VLC player, so I know it's not the file. I've tried searching around, and I think it's because I don't have pixel shader 2.0.

I'm only with not using XBMC, but what are some other options I have that are similar to XBMC? I only want to use my HTPC to watch avi, and that's it. I don't mind if the program requires linux to run.

What version of XBMC are you using? If its the 9.11 build, I highly suggest you grab a nightly build from http://sshcs.com/xbmc/ and switch you video settings in it to use DXVA2.

If you need more info, head over to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3011303&pagenumber=1

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

EC posted:

It depends on any number of things. What OS you're using, what video player you want to use, etc. VLC opens just about everything. Some people use ZoomPlayer for the various features it offers. If you're using a front-end, it might have it's own decoding engine (like XBMC) or it might rely on what codecs you have installed (like WMC).

I've never had a problem playing a file from XBMC.

XBMC has its own codes so you don't need to install anything else. And yes, VLC is a good alternative if you just want to click on a file and play it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'd be using Window 7 and I'd prefer a front end as I'd like to use it with my Logitech Harmony One remote.

You can do this with XBMC. You'll need to purchase a cheap MS media center remote with an IR reciever. You can then program your harmony with the other remote.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Xythar posted:

That's what I've done, although I have no Harmony so I'm using the media centre remote as well via EventGhost.

I've been lazy in getting an IR remote so I've just been using the wireless mouse and don't really have any complaints. I'm still using the batteries it came with 6 months ago.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Looks nice. I think I would rather have a BD drive then DVD-RW. Also, the Revo has a SATA port so you can connect an external drive (2TB in my case).

Also it ships with no OS so unless you want to run Linux you'll have to shell out for a Win7 license.

Also, there is no keyboard and mouse.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Which PVRs have the ability to record cable TV? And what part do I need for a HTPC to record shows?

Your cable company should have a PVR/Cable box you can use. Or you can get a capture card or USB device to latch onto your HTPC.

Keep in mind that most cable companies, like Rogers in :canada:, won't let you record HD content unless you are using their PVR. If you live in a rather good sized city, just leave out the cable box all together and get your HD signal from over the air.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

rugbert posted:

yea I have an xbox now, but its kinda slow and doesnt do any HD content. Looks like Ill be saving up for a Revo or that lenovo

Running XBMC on an Xbox now is kinda pointless. They are no longer developing for the original Xbox since it can't support HD so any technical support means you have to dig around in 3 year old forums posts.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Demented Guy posted:

I have a WD TV Live currently and planning to switch to an Acer Revo. I just have a couple questions:

1. Can I have a setup that would let me use multiple hard drives AT ONCE and access all the files in it? Like a central media server where all the the files are stored in these hard drives and a front-end like XBMC will be able to access these like a single repository of media files? I'm planning to build a tower of hard drives that would be expandable as the need arises.

2. The glamor of XBMC for me is the interface. Are those boxarts/thumbnails for movies/TV shows automatically downloaded and setup or do I need to organize it manually? This is one bane of WD TV Live for me. I need to use moviesheets, tinker with the config file of the custom firmware and create moviesheets on my own to have a decent (and slow) interface. It's time consuming and chokes up the little device. I just want something faster and prettier.

1) Yes. If movies are on one drive, TV shows are on another, and Music is on one.

2) Yes but you can also use Ember Media Manager to customize what art you are seeing if you don't like what the scraper uses by default.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Since Boxee's UI is an ugly, cluttered mess, (these are unassailable facts) I hope the Boxee Box is hackable to run XBMC.

All the social media stuff in Boxee turned me off. That and it never seemed to scrape my media as well as XBMC does.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

I'm confused as to why Boxee doesn't scrape as well as XBMC considering it's just a fork of XBMC.

I have no idea. Could have been something I was doing but I just got frustrated and found it was much easier to work with XBMC.

Plus as I mentioned, all the social networking stuff annoyed me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Don't bother with a Revo if you want gaming.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm running a Revo 3610 and just installed Hulu desktop. It's quite choppy but hulu works fine when run it in Firefox. As far as I know I have the most recent Flash version.

Anything I can do or is it just a limitation of my hardware?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Do any programs like Boxee or XBMC work with OTA tuners and broadcasts? I know MCE does. The wife is fed up with the cable bill, and so am I. I'm just going to throw together a HTPC and put 2x dual tuner hauppage cards in it to DVR OTA stuff. That with Hulu Plus and Netflix we should be super covered when it comes to TV.

XBMC does not have PVR support. Not yet anyway.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

strikrr posted:

I've done some search on an issue an haven't come up with anything. Wondering if anyone has some insight. I have a self built htpc with an ZOTAC GeForce 9300 - ITX WiFi board with a C2D E5200 processor. Win 7 32 bit with XBMC 9.11 loaded. Everything goes over HDMI directly to my TV.

The issue I have is if I leave my HTPC on, after a while when you go back to watch something it seems laggy. When you start a movie the motion seems just slightly choppy, nothing out of sync, but not smooth like it should be. If you restart the machine then it is fine for as long as you are doing active tasks like watching a movie or navigating the menu in XBMC. I have things setup so XBMC launches on startup.

I have a Revo in the bedroom that I installed XBMC on it and it never has an issue, the living room machine is more powerful in terms of hardware than the Revo.

I am at a loss as to where to go from here. There is nothing on the machine except Win 7, drivers, and XBMC.

I think this issue was resolved for some people in the latest build.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Falco posted:

Did you recently pick one up? I was looking recently and it appeared they have discontinued the 3610 and everyone is out of stock.

The r3700 model the next up from the 3610.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

chef posted:

I have a Revo 1600, which has a HDMI output that I am currently not using. I run XBMC under windows 7...

My question is will I be able to use the HDMI output for video and still use my USB soundcard to pass digital signal to my receiver (as I do now- video goes through VGA), or will I be stuck having the only audio output be on the HDMI. My receiver does not have HDMI inputs, so the plan was to go HDMI to TV for video, and toslink to receiver for audio when the new TV arrives.

In the XBMC menus you can choose what audio output you want to use.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Falco posted:

With Dharma there is a Hulu plugin correct?

No. Someone made a 3rd party plug-in in but Hulu made changes to their stuff and it broke. As far as I know, no one is developing anything at this time.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

If you take gaming out of the equation a dual-core with 4 gigs of RAM is pretty much overkill. I suggest reading some of the thread. I know it's long, just do the last 10 pages, you'll probably have a lot of question answered.

Yes, I run a Revo 3610 with Windows 7 and only 2GB of RAM. Keep in mind that your GPU is going to be take care of rendering your video so you don't need to go overboard on the RAM if you are just watching TV shows.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

mattfl posted:

I picked up a mce remote to use with my htpc. I have a harmony remote and I use XBMC. The media center remote works fine in XBMC but I'm having a hell of a time getting the harmony setup correctly and I know I've done this before but can't remember how I programmer the remote. Any help?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=77519

I bought a revo 3610 because I also wanted internet access and Windows since it's more user (wife) friendly.

The loudest noise it makes is the "beep" when it Posts after power on. I can't hear the fan at all unless I put my ear right up to it.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it can't use a 5Ghz wirelss channel so I have to run a wire (cat 6) to my router in order to stream HD. Later Revos may have this but I don\t know for sure.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Quarantini posted:

So I need some input, my old htpc that was cobbled together from old parts finally died. I am very interested in a boxee, but am not sure if it will give me the flexibility that a true geek needs. I can build a very capable HTPC for about $250 (gonna reuse old hard drive, optical, etc). My question is a boxee hack-friendly? I can't imagine having my "media machine" not being able to run sabnzbd or a torrent client.

XMBC is what you may want. Boxee is based on it and as far as I know, there are more people developing custom add ones for XBMC since it's open source.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

He's talking about the funny shaped Boxee appliance built by D-Link. I think that thing was too little, too late. $100 more towards a low-power HTPC is a pretty smart decision, especially with the way content providers want to limit internet content to dedicated set-tops. As long as Hulu is computer-accessible, I can get it on my HTPC.

Ahh ok. It seems that there is some info on hacking the box itself.

http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

So I'm pretty much about to pull the trigger on a Revo 3700 and I just wanted to ask first if there's any talk about it getting a refresh in the next month or so. I'm not asking for some magic future prediction, just if there's any news about it that I wouldn't have picked up since I don't follow these kinds of things.

Even if a newer model comes out you'll still have all you would ever need (unless you plan on using it for gaming).

I have a 3610 and have zero issues streaming HD from my network drives or over the web.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I agree. I'm an XBMC user and with the add ons, there is so much content I can access that I can barely keep up. I've been without cable for almost a year and I don't miss it at all. I don't even use OTA for anything other than local news/background noise.

If you hunt around you'll see that you can basically get any show on demand and it's very user friendly.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

nm

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 3, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Fox_Spy posted:

Lately I've been noticing that some video files won't play properly when streaming to my Revo 3610 running XBMC 10.0 over a wired connection. I assumed the file was messed up and got a new copy. This usually resolved the issue. Well, last night I discovered that the files actually play fine on other machines, like my netbook or my old P4 3Ghz. I suspect since I just have a standard Revo 3610 with a gig of memory running Win 7, that I need to add the Broadcom CrystalHD card and that should my problems. From checking some stuff online about it, I figure I just need to make sure I have the windows drivers for the card on hand after I put it into the Revo. Is there anything else I need to know about doing this? Or anything I may be overlooking as far as my problem goes? 99.9% of videos play fine for me.

I have a revo3610 wired and I have zero issues playing local or streaming video. Do you have DVXA set as an option withing XBMC?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Revos are known to not be gaming machines. They can do anything else you'd expect from an HTPC but that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Spudman posted:

Hey guys. I apologize in advance - this a dumb question from a clueless guy.

I've been building PCs for a long time, but I've never built one to use HDMI or with HDMI in mind at all. Well, I just collected enough spare computer parts to make a whole extra PC... and I decided I'd make an HTPC, since I've never done that before. My stuff:

- 2.0TB WD Green hard drive
- 4GB RAM
- 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
- GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard
- GeForce 210 I bought for $40 as a temporary card one time while my real video card was getting RMA'd
- Win7 x64

OK, so, freakin' audio over HDMI. How does it work? My GeForce 210, while it was only $40 and it looks like it... it has an HDMI output and I've read that it has "integrated" or "internal" audio over HDMI. Does that mean that when I plug this thing into my HDTV, the PC audio is just going to magically come out of the video card? No extra cables or connections needed? My motherboard has an SPDIF plug... but the video card has no extra pins to plug anything in.

So, am I good to go, or do I need something else?

I'm not home theater expert but I believe that's the whole point of HDMI. You can have high quality video and audio in one cable. Any Blu Ray player uses this and while other audio outputs are available, everyone I've ever hooked up just needed a single HDMI cable.

Google also tells me that your card has an onboard audio controller so this should work for you.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Gyshall posted:

I'm looking for a hardware recommendation, and I don't know if a nettop would do this, but:

- Play HD 1080 res video
- Run XBMC smooth
- Quiet, access everything via my NAS
- Has enough power/juice to play emulators... Maybe N64? If this is possible? If not, Sega and the like will be just fine.

Not sure if there is a defacto nettop that can do this or not.

The Revo is your best bet. However, I own one so I'm bias.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ControlledBurn posted:

I can't speak for the emulators as I haven't tried that yet, but I use my Revo with XBMC on Windows for 1080p streamed from my NAS via gigabit and it's perfect. My wife has used it from day 1 and I've heard nary a complaint from her.

This is correct. I have a 3610 and had trouble streaming 1080p until I connected to my router with a cat6 cable.

Google around and find some guides on what you'll need to do for the Revo to get it ready. Be prepared to uninstall a ton of bloatware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Essobie posted:

I'm seeing some posts about how you should plug this thing in with cat6 instead of going Wireless, since Wireless sucks down CPU. How accurate is that? The skipping I got from the video I tried last night was choppy over wireless AND after I copied it directly to the set top's desktop and played it from there, so I know it wasn't because I was streaming it over the network.

I guess if I had to I could go back to the ghetto snake-wired LAN I had back in my old apartment, but I was hoping I could stick with wireless everything. We'll see, I guess!

If you can get Wireless working on the 5Ghz range you should have no problem. Newer routers and network adapters support this. I've never had an issue with Wireless sucking CPU, just wireless sucking in general.

On the Revos, the video is being processed by the graphics card.