Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I've recently cobbled together an HTPC out of old parts I have lying around. It's a 3.0GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM (4x256) and a 128MB GeForce FX 5200.

When I go to play back 720p h264 files, I get stuttering playback even though my processor usage is only at about 50 - 75%. What do you guys think the problem might be? Could it be that the video card is complete crap or is there something else I might be missing? I realize the computer is going to struggle with 1080p, but it should be solid enough to handle 720p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Crackbone posted:

Without going into long details, MPEG2 acceleration is worthless (any processor from 5 years ago can decode it with no problem), WMV9 isn't typically used for HD video (and thus acceleration isn't that great), and the VC-1 acceleration is about the same at the early Geforce 8000 series (500/600), which is to say minimal at best. The press releases don't mean much compared to the experiences of users, of which you can read lots and lots of over at AVSforum (if you deal with asperger-videophiles).

On top of all that x264 is really the codec that puts a strain on processors, and what almost every piece of HD media uses now.

The G45 is incorporating "proper" HD HWA, that truly moves the majority of the processing to the video card. Even then you require software that supports HWA and those are few in number, and none in Linux at the moment, to reference your post.

Short version: The press release is largely marketing bullshit, x264 is the only one that truly matters if you're wanting your video card to "handle" high def material. Otherwise stick to a beefy processor to run it.

I'm planning on running Mythbuntu on my HTPC -- does this mean rather than spending time trying to find a motherboard/video card that supports "proper" HD HWA I should just worry about the processor instead?