Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.
I think this is sort of in the right spot.

I just got an HDTV and I hooked up my desktop computer to it (DVI>HDMI), and I'm outputting different HD things from my computer to the TV. It works pretty decently except maybe every couple minutes it will skip for a second, then go back to normal.

Now I installed Vista on my desktop a little bit back to play around with it, and I was wondering how much that could affect my video performance, like if I installed XP again do you think the odd little skip would go away totally?

Just for reference I'm using
AMD 64-bit 3000+
1 gb ram
Nvidia 6600 GT

Could it also be the drivers for the nvidia card? I hear theyre not that well developed, or is that the best playback I can expect with that setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.
Hey guys, I'm just looking at building my first HTPC and I've been scouring the net for information. I mostly want it for playing 720p/1080i x264/wmv and maybe eventually I want to put in a blueray player, so I guess I want it to be compatible with that as well. I would also like it to have a remote control, just for ease of use.

This is what I'm looking at for a setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H w/ AMD 690G
Case: ANTEC NSK2480 Desktop Case w/ EarthWatts 380W Power Supply
Processor: AMD Athlon™ X2 4400+
RAM: 2 GB Mushkin EM2-6400 Enhanced DDR2 800
Hard Drive: SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II
Remote: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Remote Control or maybe the Logitech® Harmony® 670 remote control

I'll probably throw a dvd drive in there as well just for good measure.

Will this work out for my needs? Also is it worth uprgrading from the MA69GM to the MA78GM I've heard good things about that.. Also whats the best software setup for these? Is Windows media center pretty good? or is it better to get another software?

Thanks in advance for any input