Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

I have a Dell Dimension 8200

Quick Specs:
2.53 Ghhz processor, 533 FSB
1 Gb RDRAM PC 800
GeForece Ti 4600

I'd really like to do a home theater PC, so I have two options:
-Upgrade my current PC
-Build a new one.

If I upgrade, I can pretty much only get a better chip (there's only one - a 2.8 Pentium 4. The motherboard won't support anything faster than a 533 FSB I believe) and upgrade the video card. Also another gig of PC800 ram is like $500

I can sort of play HD video now (h.264) It runs okay, but when there is any action it just can't handle it. I have core acc installed, but it only helps a little bit.

Is there anything I could do short of building a new PC to get this older one up to snuff? What about getting a GeForce 7 series and using Nvidia Pure Video? Would that work?

If I build a new one, it'd be about $1000-$1500, since I'd make it a combo HTPC and gaming PC. Ultimately I want a laptop for general use, and a PC for gaming or watching movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

I just installed a copy of Windows MCE on my PC

Movies work just fine in every other player, but when I try to play them in MCE, it says "Error: Files needed to display video are not installed."

I have WMP 11 installed, and the CCCP codec pack. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

SFrost007 posted:

Have you got a 64 bit version of Windows? If so, MCE runs as a 64bit app, so needs 64bit codecs. WMP runs as a 32bit app to maintain compatibility with more widely available codecs, but they didn't (couldn't) do the same for MCE. It's a pain.

Nope, 32 bit windows.

Everything works fine outside of media center. Maybe I should just try some other front end instead of MCE.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

I put together a shopping list for a HTPC today. My 7 year old PC finally kicked the bucket, so I wanted to build a HTPC on the cheap as a stopgap, then later this year build a new gaming rig and port this over to the TV.

Anyways, here's the parts list. I wanted to keep the system under $400, and I think this build leaves me lots of room for flexibility - I can add an eSATA drive, more RAM, change the processor, and have some expansion slots for later add-in cards - and maybe add a Blu Ray reader if I feel the need for that.

Case: $50: hec Black SECC 7K09
$120: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H
$70: Intel Pentium E5200
$30: G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800 (2 x 1GB)
$75: Western D. 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
$35: Zalman CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan

Total: $380
(I have a DVD burner at home, so ignore the lack of that on this list)

-Is $35 justifiable for an aftermarket cooler, or can the stock heatsink/fan do the job? I want it as silent as possible, and I hear that the power supply for this is noisy and breaks easily, so that makes me a bit warry.

Is it still impossible to have a DIY solution that would enable me to record HDTV from a cable company? I.E., if I have Verizon HD, I can't record Discovery HD and others unless I have a CableCARD system from an OEM, or a TiVO HD. Is this still the case?

VVVV Edit: Heatsink is 67mm high (2.64 in). Case internal height is 3.9". I think I should be good with 1.26 in clearance all around, but you never know. As long as the DVD doesn't stick out too far, I should be good to go.

Praesil fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 31, 2009

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Magicmat posted:

I hate to make 2 posts in a row, but

If I were building my own system, I was looking at the hec Black SECC 7K09 case. Around that price range, is there any other case that is smaller and/or quieter?

Also, what's the quietest CPU heatsink/fan that will fit in that case and cool a E5200? The Scythe Mini or the Zalman CNPS7700-CU, maybe? I'm not adverse to buying a quieter fan for those that come with a loud fan, if such a thing will work.

i was looking at a similar build above and was worried about this too
One Newegg review seyz:

IMPORTANT...Use right angle SATA connectors and right angle SATA power connectors. I went on the suggestion of someone else in the reviws and they said a Zalman CNPS 8700 cpu cooler fit fine. It does...if you use 90 degree power and sata connectors. I cannot stress this enough, since trying to fit everything in the case, you can possible crack off a SATA connector either on the motherboard of your hard drive.
Also, use wire wrap to maximize airflow in the case.
Power LED connector was not compatible with my motherboard. Lastly, remove the plastic cpu shroud which is attached to the inside of the removeable cover if you decide to go with the Zalmancooler. It hits the cooler when you reinstall the case.
Temps:
CPU 98 degrees F
Mainboard 88 F

Zalman 8700 cooler is 120 x 123 x 67mm, so stick to that and you should be golden.
CNPS 7700 - 136 x 136 x 67mm, slightly bigger and might whack the SATA drive
CNPS 7500 - 121 x 121 x 67mm, a few bux cheaper and the same size

Scythe mini is 115mm high (4.5"); Case height is 3.9". You'd have to cut a hole to make that fit.

tl;dr
Any cooler that is approx. 67mm tall should fit. Be wary of the 120x120mm approximate width/length

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Jensen posted:

Why is it people keep asking this question? It's been answered (by me) already in the thread.

There seems to be alot of repeating lately - someone called it out not too long ago

the OP is from 2007; Maybe it's time to start a new thread and put FAQs up front to stop people from asking.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

I got one of these and liked it, when I did use it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823166079

Trackball can be a bit fiddly and takes getting used to, and if you type too fast it might drop strokes, but it works.

That Dinovo mini looks pretty slick. Any other products in that vein anyone knows of, or a blackberry app to do that?

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

I'm looking for a single box that does a couple things:

-Plays Blu-Ray Movies
-Streams media over the network to watch on the TV
-NetFlix ondemand
-Has DVR / tivo like capabilities - record or rewind live TV - preferably HD as well

Currently I have verizon fios. I can do all of this with a custom HTPC - I think -but the DVR portion is where I'm stuck. I'd rather not have a separate Verizon cable box for DVR/TV. Is this at all possible now?

Can this all be done when the HDHomeRun w/ cableCARD comes out?

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Dell was offering the Studio 14z laptop with a gefore 9400M GPU. Looks like they discontinued it

And looking further, Dell has no Nvidia chipsets on any laptop.

Are there any sub-5 lb laptops with 11-14" screens that could output 1080p? The only one I can see is the Alienware that Dell has (ATI chipsets, but I'd rather have nvidia)

Kind of want a netbook / ultraportable laptop that could double as an HTPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

Are there any sub-5 lb notebooks that have HDMI out and would handle 1080p for a laptop / portable HTPC?