Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

I am looking for a very small factor HTPC, and I don't want to build it myself.

I am wondering why do people not like AppleTV with XBMC+Boxee. It's small, cheap, am I missing something?

What would you recommend as an alternative to it? All I want is for it to see files on my network and play them - basically a cable to my computer, without the actual cable...
Also I don't need 1080p, just 720p.

Pinkied_Brain fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

Legdiian posted:

ASRock ION 330

Is this not small/cheap enough? Seems to be a very popular choice with the HTPC crowd.

Well AppleTV is $220 and it comes with wireless network and remote control already. When I add those 2 via USB to ASRock ION, it will be over $400. I'd be ok with getting it, if I understood the real advantage it has over AppleTV. I don't need a hard drive, since I will be using my computer to store everything anyway, and I will be streaming all the media. Having a DVD Drive is nice though...

Will 720p run without lag on AppleTV? What about Hulu? Is it louder than the ASRock? What am I paying double for when I get the ASRock ION - does the power make a difference? I haven't seen either in action.

Edit: Ok never mind, talked to coworker - when he told me earlier Apple TV can do 720p, he only meant the Apple TV 720p content, not general DivX or whatever 720p file you download. So it actually doesn't have enough power for 720p other than the specific 720p apple format.

Looks like I am going with the ASRock + Wireless + Remote!

Do most USB remote controls and wireless cards work with linux or should I just put windows on it?
People who got AS Rock - which Remote control and which wireless network cards did you get?

Pinkied_Brain fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 24, 2009

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

By the way, is the ION Rock significantly better than this thing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228&cm_re=nvidia_ion-_-83-103-228-_-Product

Acer AspireRevo AR1600-U910H Intel Atom 230 (1.6GHz) 1GB DDR2 160GB NVIDIA ION LE

It's $200, and smaller. Just no DVD drive.

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

I am getting some dropped frames when playing 720p divxs on my ASRock ION 330. I am running Windows 7 and XBMC.

I did not find an option in xbmc to offload to the GPU - does this mean I am only using the CPU? Is it not possible to offload to GPU on XBMC in windows? If so, do I have to use windows media center / media player classic to play the 720p stuff or is there something I am missing?

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

I didn't like dealing with Ubuntu after tryign it for a week and put Win 7 on instead which I really like. Is there an option on Windows that offloads to the GPU?

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

Thanks, this looks like what I need. There is an advancesettings.xml setting for external players so I can add mpchc into it.

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

Excuse me if this has been asked before, but are the XBMC devs even considering adding GPU-offloading support to the Windows version? I'd like for my HTPC to be able to play some of my less-intensive games, and right now it'd be a choice between Windows (games) and Linux (XBMC).

Edit: OK, I see there was a big discussion about it on the previous page, but not on whether it's in the pipeline.

I set up MPC as an external player it works great in Windows. Just one extra click to bring up the context menu and run it basically as part of XBMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

Kalrand posted:

I think it went up on new egg this morning:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103234

drat this is nice. It's the ASRock ION, but with wireless network, wireless keyboard and smaller. Would have saved a 100 bucks, not having to buy a USB wireless card and keyboard. <sigh>