Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I might be getting an HDTV soon and I would want to connect my computer (with HDCP support) to my TV using a DVI->HDMI cable. The distance is around 25-30 feet away so would a monoprice cable be able to handle 1080p or would I be better off getting a similar length cable at Bluejeans? There is a significant price difference ($60/$18) so I'd rather get the cheaper one if it'll work. Also, Monoprice has a few different gauges available...

Edit: My question seems to be answered here: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cable-battlemodo/the-truth-about-monster-cable-part-2-268788.php

Answer: 35Foot monoprice cables can't handle 1080p but a quality ($200) Monster cable will. BlueJeans claims they get 1080p at 50 feet so that should be a problem.

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

EnergizerFellow posted:

I'll bet money on that being bullshit. Officially HDMI really is only two wire gauges, 24 and 28. 28 is good to an effective length of ~20' and 24 ~100'. That $30 35' 24 AWG cable from Monoprice should work fine for you.

Remember, this is a digital signal, so as long as the signal gets there, the rest just doesn't matter.

Yeah I'm a strong proponent of "It's digital, stupid" but I'm concerned about the signal not getting their at all. From what I hear, HDMI is a pretty crappy cable spec that can't really handle the bandwidth for 1080p for long distances.

So you're saying that 24 AWG cable should be more than enough for 35'? Hmm. It's much cheaper... Where did you come up with the numbers that 24 can go about 100'?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

InTrouble posted:

Antec claims that it does, the description may be mistaken, I cannot confirm as I have not received my unit yet.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15739

Regardless, my question still stands; will I be able to get my harmony to interface with an IR receiver if I don't have a remote to teach it commands? Looking though the harmony software it can control a Windows media center, but it asks me for the manufacturer, model, ect when my unit is home-built.

I guess I will just play around and tell the software my machine is an HP or something, just wondering if anyone had experience with this issue.

Edit: I see the fusion v2 and fusion black are listed with IR receivers while the fusion "v1" is not. I ordered a "fusion black" from zip zoom fly, I wonder if "v1"s were ever made in black.

I use the Harmony 880 for my media center and it's great although I set up all the buttons myself because I'm anal. No complaints here.