Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm pretty confused with videocards at the moment. I'm getting a LN-T4665F (or maybe the 40" model) and I wanted a videocard that did HDMI. I've got a Nvidia 6600 now, and I could use the DVI out on it, but is it really needed? I know a few cards out now support HDMI, but are they good enough to run anything special? The most I'd do is run 720p stuff (based on what I've read I could do that fairly easily if I turn everything else off in the background). I might even be able to swing 1080p if I partition and do a super stripped down version of XP with the bare minimum needed to get it going.

E: Is the M2A-VM worth it to get it for the HDMI support? What kind of juice would I need to get that running 1080p?

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 17, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Juriko posted:

All you really get by going with HDMI is the ability to pass through audio and HDCP support. Until you need HDCP to playback HD video there is no need to upgrade to an HDMI card.

Ok, so just stick with DVI for now. Most of the stuff that is on my computer are DVD's i've ripped to it for ease of use and some extra space (my room is like 10x10 and having a shelf for the DVDs takes up a ton of space). Thanks for the help!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm looking for a HTPC case with only 1 5.25" bay and like 3 3.5" bays. Is there such a thing? I've had no luck on FrozenCPU, Newegg or Tigerdirect.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Whats with all this front touch screen nonsense? Is it a basic front-end to getting to your movies and poo poo?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think I want one with the IR remote, but I'm just wondering what the remote looks like and the functions of it, is it a remote that has some windows functions (so I can get through folders) or is it just stop start play pause that kind of thing.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How is a quad quore (something like a Q6600/2.4GHz) when it comes to decoding 1080P? Tigerdirect has a bundle pack that I'm thinking about with a Q6600 and an Asus P5K3 Delux.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a Core2Duo/Quad motherboard that has built in HDMI that will output 1080p and do the audio as well? The less junk filling up my case the better.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crackbone posted:

What are you counting as "HD"? Because 1080p x264 files used to require at least a Core 2/A64 processor clocked at 3Ghz. Some new codecs have apparently dropped the processor speed requirement, but there's no way you were playing 1080p HD video on an athlon xp chip. Maybe some bastardized xvid or QT trailers (which are encoded at lower quality specifically for PC playback).

Are you talking about 3GHZ between the 2 cores or each core at 3Ghz? I have a T7300 @ 2.0Ghz and it playes 1080p x264 just fine, I just want a quad-core for future proofing and maybe a bit of light gaming and heavy photoshop use.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

No, its a 1080p file in x264, non VC-1 and I bought the CoreAVC professional edition and 99% of the time it runs like a champ. Only a few scenes that I've gone through where there is a ton happening on the screen where it might stutter. I'm still going quad core though ;)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crackbone posted:

If you're getting stutter of any HD file you're probably running higher CPU usage than I'd want. Pretty cool that CoreAVC's so much better than it used to be, though.

I have the feeling that if I overclocked it to 2.1 or 2.2Ghz, it would run like butter.

E: Does the Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H really looks like the way to go for my computer. This little bugger seems too good to be true.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 1, 2008

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This is what I'm thinking about as of right now, Ive already got a 250GB sata drive at the house so that isnt really a worry in the short term:

My Wishlist posted:

1. hec Black 0.7mm Thickness SECC 7K09 Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
Model #: 7K09
Item #: N82E16811121027 $49.99

2. GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-73PVM-S2H
Item #: N82E16813128072 $79.99

3. KINGWIN ABT-520CW ATX 12V Ver.2.2 520W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: ABT-520CW
Item #: N82E16817121001 $94.99 -$5.00 Instant $89.99

4. Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
Model #: BX80562Q6600
Item #: N82E16819115017 $279.99

5. CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail
Model #: TWIN2X2048-6400
Item #: N82E16820145590 $54.00

6. LOGISYS FP521 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader - Retail
Model #: FP521
Item #: N82E16820342001 $9.99

7. Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7191S - OEM
Model #: AD-7191S
Item #: N82E16827118004 $29.99

Subtotal: $588.94

Sound like a plan from you guys? The only thing I am iffy on is the USB card reader, I dont really need it, especially if I have to decide to either use that or the ports on the case, and I really don't see me needing a firewire case, but it is an attractive case and cheap.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The E8400 as in this one? Is this 100% going to play any 1080P video I throw at it (using CoreAVC of course)?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Goldmund posted:

Yep thats the one, and it will absolutely kill any 1080p content. I currently (while I wait for my new setup) play 1080p h.264 files with my old rear end Opteron 165, and the E8400 is several orders of magnitude better than that.

If you absolutely must have quad core, then you would be better off waiting a few months for the 45nm quads to come out. It's really not going to be necessary though.

Cool, thanks for the tip. It all ends up costing about the same but I'll keep it in mind :)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Does anyone have a good recommendation towards a nice frontend for a HTPC that will run on Vista (and maybe Xp if I have to).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a plugin for Windows Media Center that I can use to give some of my movies preview icons? Some of them don't have anything in the icon but the name and it is just kinda ugly.

E: Also are there themes that I could get/customize too?

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 3, 2008

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

From what I have come to understand, any under/overscan is usually the TV's fault, though I have heard of the PS3 overscaning a whole fuckton where other things do not. In short, I would bet it is the TV.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

shaitan posted:

I am not sure if this really should go here, but I don't think this needs an entire thread.

Does anyone here rip their HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray's) to their hard drive and make iso's out of them? If so, what do you use to create the iso? I tried using imgburn but that only handles regular dvd sized iso files, nothing over 10 gigs. I am using Vista32.

What about this?

I need a power supply that has the 24 pin power connector, 4 pin CPU connector, a few molex and a ton of SATA connectors. Any suggestions? Modular would be a huge bonus!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

coreAVC and a good codec pack will do wonders without dedicated HD hardware decoding.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

code:
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131237[/url]

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037[/url]

Rosewill PSU 400-watt
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182021[/url]

G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231121[/url]

Silverstone HTPC case
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163033[/url]

Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
[url]http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827118004[/url]

Okgear 10" SATA2 cable
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123271[/url]
7.98 (2)

Vantex ATA cable
[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812104209[/url]

Total: 607.91
This is HTPC revision 2. Anything missing that I should look into?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Wood for Sheep posted:

Looks good. I take it you have a HDD already?

I have an old computer sitting at home doing absolutely nothing. I think I am going to turn it into my set-top box. It only has a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz processor and a gig of DDR2 667. I know it's probably not enough to decode the fancy stuff, but is this enough to watch HD cable and record? It'd be sweet if I only needed a nicer case, probably a power supply, and front end.

Also, since this will need to be on almost all the time and very easy to use(since some random friend might be watching it) what would be the best front end to go with? It needs to have support for an IR remote. I also would like to rip my DVDs to the computer and have it generate a list of movies to watch.

One last thing, will the onboard graphics on an older motherboard be good enough to do HD? I'm thinking of the GMA950 chipset series. And if I want to do 5.1 sound will I need to have an S/PDIF connection, or can I use the pink, yellow, blue, green, etc connection?

Yeah I have a SATA 250GB for movies/music/pictures and an ATA 60 which I will be installing Vista on. HDDs are getting stupid cheap and I dont need any more then 250 for the next 6 months so no need to go crazy now. I'd rather have a few smaller drives and a huge backup drive for redundancy sake in the future.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

ashgromnies posted:

That motherboard comes with a few SATA and PATA cables.

So I noticed. Consider that about 10$ plus shipping saved :)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If it were 130 for a BluRay player + DVD burner, I would be all up on that poo poo.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

EC posted:

I just wanted to show everyone the coolest HTPC case ever:

Link

Its wall-loving-mountable, yo! :D Their other models are pretty slick as well, although none are available in US yet. If I hadn't just bought a Silverstone several months ago I would be buying the TF8. They'll probably all cost a goddamn fortune.

That is hot as poo poo but room for 1 HDD is a bit rough.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Well this is pretty good as I have to wait for 8500s to get back in stock and settle down in price. If I can find a nicely priced 8200 based mobo that does on board decoding, that'll straight tits. Do you have any links to articles or anything that I can read up on?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I need a really quite hard drive. Or a regularish sounding hard drive with something to make it quite. I was looking at some 1TB drives, but reviews are mixed. I want a big back-up drive and a medium (500+GB) sized media drive or two. Any recommendations?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Uziel posted:

I was considering building a HTPC to take the place of my aging DVD player. My TV is a 40" Sony Bravia with a native resolution of 768p. How does that work? I'd be connecting it via HDMI. Do I need to set some type of custom resolution of 768p or?

Also, how do you integrate IR remote control with a computer?

The big question is are you ever planing on gaming on it? There are plenty of cases that you can get from HTPC vendors that come with IR remotes. If you aren't planing on gaming with it, you could get away with a $5-600 HTPC that will play back DVDs and HD content, much less if you will never need to play back HD stuff.

As for connecting via HDMI, if you get a motherboard like the Asus P5E-VM HDMI series motherboard will output audio and video up to 1080p (which is perfect in your case) and can take any Core2Duo chip. I would even suggest it if you want to game because it can use the new 45nm processors (like the E8400), has a capacity for 8GB of RAM, and up to 6 SATA devices.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Uziel posted:

I would definitely be gaming on it. I have a Logitech remote though that I'd like to use. Thanks for the info regarding the HDMI motherboards, I will take a look at it, but I guess I'd want a video card with HDMI instead of having it onboard?

There are a few 8800GT and 9600s that have a header that will connect to a S/PDIF jumper on the motherboard so you can connect via HDMI and get the benefit of an all in one cable. Just make sure whatever motherboard you pick out has the jumper for S/PDIF on it and you get the little cable (some motherboards/video cards that support that come with them). Other then that this is the basic build for a multi-use machine:

E8400/Xeon 3110 (quad core is really unneeded)
2+ GB of DDR2 800 RAM (4GB is nice if you use Vista64, it is cheap too)
A motherboard that will suit your needs in the way of connectors and card slots
8800GT/8800GTS G92/9600GT (with the SPDIF header if you want to use HDMI with sound)
HDD/optical drives of your choice (A dvd burner can be had for 30$ on newegg)
A nice power supply that will power plenty on the +12v rails (the more the better)
Case

Most of this can be gotten from the first post of the SH/SC Parts Guide. You don't need a lot to run a HTPC, mostly space and more then 2.5GHz on a dual core processor for 1080p content, so for gaming, thats about the best you can do for the money.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Uziel posted:

Very awesome, thank you.

What about the resolution since the TV is 768p?

Well you can use Powerstrip to force custom resolutions if the whatever x 768 resolution doesnt show up. 1280x720 should scale perfectly and isn't that much of a stretch from 768p. All your TV is doing is using its internal scaling hardware to take a 1280x720 picture and stretching it to the native resolution of your set.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kepp posted:

What is the sound output like on the board? The one thing that makes me nervous about consolidating everything to on board HDMI output is sound interference. The motherboard I'm using now isn't necessarily for HTPC's but the on board sound was crap and there was tons of interference when playing movies at any kind of volume.

I have one and it works like a charm (assuming you are using Vista). Install the drivers that come with the board (or the updated ones on Asus's website) and everything will work 100%. If specific programs can utilize different audio ports, you can split the output too. I have winamp running through some computer speakers while all my movies go through the HDMI. I couldn't recommend it more.

Does anyone have any good guides on getting my new Harmony 880 working with my HTPC? Whats a good IR receiver that I should be looking at?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That.... That is beautiful.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have a Harmony remote, is there a good IR... uh, receiver, that I can use with my HTPC? I'll be using a Vista w/ XBMC on top of that as the front end.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

PeePot posted:

The Microsoft "M17-7900" remote and IR receiver works well with my Harmony remote. Of course you'll have an extra remote.

Microsoft seems to have removed it from their website, but it is this one:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details-print.asp?EdpNo=1644435&Sku=M17-7900

Bookmarked. Thanks, Im compiling a list for my HTPC rebuild.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

My buddy bought two of these when experimenting with MCE 2005 in college, both of the remotes ended up dying. The receivers turned out to be great, though. I use one in the living room with a Harmony and another in my room with a 360 media remote. And if your Windows is new enough you don't even need to install a driver. You'll probably have good luck with it.

Yeah I have a nice Harmony already, so the remote will be stuffed into a drawer.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

OK, new house in the pipeline, needs a new all singing/dancing HTPC to keep me entertained :)

1) Is there a decent mid-to-high end graphic card out there with HDMI out? All the ones my quick search has pulled up are 'media' cards with less game-graphics capability. My current PC has an 8800GT in it and it's doing me fine, for a yardstick.

2) If not, will a DVI->HDMI connector work just as well? I ask as I'm trying not to trip over the HDCP hurdle, and I'm guessing video out through DVI and into HDMI won't be HDCP authenticated?

3) Related to the above, is there any audio encryption that piping sound to my AV amp via optical rather than HDMI will trip?

4) Any recommendations for a good Freesat-compatible TV-in card? While I don't watch a massive amount of TV, it'd be nice to have the option occasionally. A friend gave me the nod on this one, any good?

Some of the newer nVidia video cards (8, 9, and GTX cards) support audio passthrough with their special DVI->HDMI adapter. It basically uses un-used DVI Dual link pins to cary the audio over. It does this using the sPDIF header that is found on many motherboards. I use it with my P5Q/GTX260 and it works well. You just have to select Digital Audio Output for your device. I don't know what types of audio it will passthrough though. I haven't tried anything 5.1 or better because I don't have a reciever just yet.

E: and the new video cards will support DXVA so you could offload h264 to the GPU if your program you use for playback supports it

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is the Revo AR3610 worth getting now or would the new ZOTAC ZBOX HD-ID11 (which looks sweet) be worth it? All I really do is watch TV/movies I rip over teh network, its gonna pretty much not ever have to do any hard computing or encoding.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Medikit posted:

That Zotac looks awesome. That being said I don't think it's going to be any better at playing your movies.

It was more of a price thing, I have a spare 250GB drive floating, a license for Win7 (or hell, Ubuntu seems to be tits for a XBMC supporting OS), and might be able to score some cheap RAM, the Acer seems to be great with the keyboard though i would probably want something like the Denovomini.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Could you also do a network drive if you have another XP/Vista/7 machine?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Yes. I have a Dell tower in my basement connected by ethernet to my router. A 500MB Lacie USB drive is connected to my Dell via USB. The drive is shared out using basic windows File sharing. This server also runs uTorrent.

Connected to me TV is a mini tower running XP and XBMC. No problems viewing standard def for me via a wireless connecting. After some upgrades I'll be able to stream HD.

Perfect. The way it seems is I'll be getting the Revo 3610 and sharing over the network. I just don't know if I want ubuntu or 7, I'm guessing 7 because it might be easier for network drives?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

Linux will give you VPDAU acceleration on video, but you won't be able to run some browser-based streaming line Hulu and Netflix.

I might mess with Linux then. I don't really care about Netflix and Hulu, more like ripping my assload of DVDs and having a nice frontend to play them by over the network. I'll give it a shot, my Linux/CLI is so-so, how crazy is it to get it working? Is there a good forum or setup guide for Ubuntu (or whatever the flavor of the week is) XBMC and VPDAU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

Personally, if all you want to do is XBMC then what I like to do is just install the XBMC Live distro straight to the harddrive. Boots up quickly and right into XBMC, no configuration necessary.

If you'd rather have a full Ubuntu install, the XBMC Wiki has a step-by-step tutorial guide.

Rad, thanks man/woman :)