Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a good remote or keyboard solution that is easy to use for XBMC purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch the XBMC remote app should handle most of your functions as well.

Oh hell yes, this is awesome.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I asked in the XBMC thread but that one is a bit slower than this one so I'll ask here:

Im having issues with the Lirbary feature scraping my tv shows. It'll scrape a few, but not all. I've even manually tagged a few using Xyber Media Manader. Any suggestions?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

e: nevermind

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 24, 2010

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I got my Zotac H55-ITX and a i3 530 to go along with it. Everything was great till I install the display drivers and now I'm getting screen flicker. I wasn't getting flicker before with the generic windows installed drivers. I tried the ones on the site and the ones on the disk, I dont know the "name" of the hardware the i3 uses to do its onboard so I don't know what to download on the Intel site. It is driving me mad though. Anyone else have any experience with this issue?

E: I guess I should say its over HDMI and on my Samsung 1080p panel.
E2: And just like magic it works.

Now I have a new issue. Anything 1080p stutters, I have a feeling it might have something to do with audio codecs though. I hear AC3 and DTS can cause some serious issues in playback, reviews say the 13 530 can handle brute forcing 1080p. Anyone have any ideas?
E3: and sometimes with 720p, there is something crazy going on.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 25, 2010

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Fist of Fury posted:

Note that this is NOT the same as the new Windows home groups, which are a little silly and only work well with all-Windows-7 networks at the moment. You want the old school workgroup sharing set up on your XP box, and then you just "Map Network Drive" the shares to drive letters on your Windows 7 computer.

I tried this but it won't scan my drives for content to build a library (even though on the computer teh files are hosted on the nfos and poo poo are done). I use the map network drive, then in XBMC i set content as (movies for example) and I dont get anything. I can view them as a list on the video section but nothing showing a library

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Now the only issue i have is playback in XBMC. In MPC-HC i can brute force 1080p or using the Intel HD graphics via dxva, but as soon as i try 1080p (and even 720p sometimes)in XBM. I get massive chugging and CPU usage shoots to 100%. Is there a way to get XBMC to render video using XBMC.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

quadratic posted:

Check the XBMC video settings and make sure render method is set to DXVA.

Did that and it seemed worse. XBMC and me aren't getting along :v I wanted a nice easy system an idiot can use and its been thing after thing. Also tried both on 9.11 and the latest build on SVN

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

quadratic posted:

What are your system specs?

core i3 530, 2GB ram, Win7, zotac H55-ITX motherboard, antec earthwatts 380 PSU. Plenty of punch. Like I said, I can brute-force it and use DXVA, I can even play it on my E8400 machine I have as my main rig, and from what I've read, in most things they (i3/E8400) are kinda even.

Mister Fister posted:

Ever try boxee? My XBMC setup experience has been pretty bad too, but boxee's been almost perfect by comparison

I messed with it about a month ago and I really hate the layout of everything, I guess its skinable? It also had issues scraping stuff, even things that I had done manually.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there any new awesome card out that people say is the perfect HTPC card? Something that bitstreams the audio and has native HDMI so I can just plug the bitch in and go? Something like either this or this? I like the ATI for the passive cooling, but I thought there were issues with ATI cards not doing the newer profile 4.1 encodes well?

E: I ask because I'm pretty sure DXVA will solve some of my issues (not counting all the fun stuff with XBMC, but I hear nVidia/ATI DXVA play well with XBMC!)

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 5, 2010

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crackbone posted:

5450s will bitstream Dolby and DTS HD.

I don't know what you're talking about with ATI not being able to decode certain things, that's pretty much horseshit.

But NOTHING in HTPC world is ever "plug and go".

Oh that I am well aware of :v: But I have everything set up, I just think I need a bit of extra horsepower and GPU offloading will be that bump. Also I hear that ATI/nVidia cards play better with XBMC DXVA support and the Intel DXVA stuff isnt there yet.

E: Also thanks for suggesting that card, I bookmarked it and I think I'll end up going with it :)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crackbone posted:

i3s have GPUs on chip that are at least as good (probably way better) than an Ion chipset.

Eh, I have an i3 setup and while it can do DXVA using the onboard Intel GMA HD or whatever they are calling it these days, I still get stuttering with some things and that is why I'm looking at one of the ATI 5450 or whatever cards. The ION is basically a nVidia 9400/9600 so it'll run around IGPs all day every day. I do like my i3 for other things (browsing websites with lots of flash stuff {which now can be GPU accelerated with Flash 10.1 b3} and playing older games) and wouldn't trade it for one of the ION based chips. With that said, I tried to squeeze the ZOTAC H55-ITX into an ITX case and it didn't work. Expect to at least get a M-ATX case. I ended up getting a M-ATX case that took a full size PSU so I could get the Antec Earthwatts 380 Green, which is quiet and works very very well, giving me room to expand if I really want to.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crackbone posted:

If you're getting stuttering it's got nothing to do with the power of the i3 - it's CPU itself more than capable brute-forcing 1080p, and the GPU can handle DXVA fine. It's probably an issue with whatever media player you're trying to use, or maybe some of the settings. I know there are some outstanding bugs with certain media player software (not to surprising given how new the chipset is).

And the 9400 in the Ion isn't significantly different from the IGP on the nvidia 93/9400 socket 775 motherboards - it's essentially an IGP, so it's not going to "run circles" around other IGPS.

The only time iIdon't get stuttering is is MPC-HC is used. If I try to use XBMC everything grinds to a hault and XBMC currently has no support forIntel based DXVA solutions. I can brue force even the retarded killa sample with all the loopy poo poo it does, but if i try to play something that is 720p in XBMC i get 100% core usage and massive stutter. Fresh install of Win7, on 9.11 and many of the nightlies. Ive heard DXVA works a lot better with ATI/nVidiaa, so im going to go that route.

Also I understand that the 9400 in the ION is perfect for this kind of thing, I didnt mean the 93/9400 IGPs on LGA775 thins, I was talking more about Intel IGPs which are (mostly) garbage (and run into issues with XBMC and DXVA).

E: also would rather a passivly cooled GPU because I dont like the sound of my CPU fan spooling up to decode all those sweet pixels.
E2: and when I say I'd rather the i3 than an ION based solution, its more because I like the power the i3 has for other things, the ION/9400 IGP would be swell though, I just dont want the atom, dual core or not. Sorry I'm kind of scatterbrained today.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 7, 2010

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Backyarr posted:

So I'm thinking of buying an HTPC and have a question:
Is a dual-core Ion system capable of playing back 1080p content in Windows 7 Media Center? The HTPC will be used to pick up DVB-T broadcasts and W7MC is the only media program I can find which claims to cover the whole spectrum of use. (Actually, the question is, does W7MC offload to hardware like MPC-HC does?)
Also, what's the deal with hardware accelerated flash video playback? Does 10.1b reliably work or not?

I can't speak for the W7MC question, but the GPU offloaded flash is great and works pretty well =)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So uh, I may be getting a free ATI 4850 from a friend, that has the HDMI audio passthrough/bitstreaming correct? A little overkill for a HTPC but god drat free is free.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

The 4850 actually does it without a passthrough, there's an HDMI audio device on the card that shows up in your Sound menu. You just have to make sure you have an HDMI adapter that passes audio and not just the standard DVI->HDMI part that monoprice has been selling for years. On my 4890 it defaulted to stereo output, be sure to go into the config menu (sound properties even in Windows 7 are still a little too scattered) and kick it up to whatever degree of surround you may have.

Rad. This is exactly what I wanted to hear, seems like it will be perfect (though a bit overkill!) for what I'm looking for.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This might be the wrong thread but I'll shoot anyway. The stock ATI cooler on my 4850 is pretty loud, I dont want to spin the fan down with Rivatuner or some other program. What I'd rather do is replace the heatsink with something that will be quieter. Is there any really good, quiet GPU coolers out there? I even thought of doing liquid cooling since I would only really need 3 heat sinks, one for the GPU die, one for GPU ram and one for the processor. Does that sound like a dumb idea too?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have a cheap-o Trendnet gigabit switch and it works like a charm, you can stream anything over it. Wireless still has a way to go before it'll replace wires for streaming large files with high bitrates

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

THF13 posted:

Todays woot is a eeeBox and I'm really considering getting one to use to play video files and stream from hulu from. For $195 it's got an Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz processor, 1GB of ram, wireless n, and an ATI Radeon HD 4530-DX9 series with 256MB DDRII. Thing costs $195 shipped and they threw in a wireless mouse and keyboard, but my question is will the radeon let it play 720p video smoothly or will the atom bottleneck it?

I'd assume anything streaming with flash in HD would be almost all CPU so it would run like crap, but would it be able to play regular HD video ok?

I'm pretty sure teh 4530 should do GPU off-loading but it may not, I think DXVA is a DX10 thing?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MeKeV posted:

Did you do this yet? I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind on basing the new HTPC on the I3-530 with H55, but it would be great to hear from someone who's already tried it out, before I commit.

Though, I am looking to put it all in a smaller case.

I have an i3 and I use it and it works like a champ. I have the Zotac mini ITX jobber, works great. I don't use XBMC, I just use MPC-HC because I had a ton of problems with using GPU offloading with the i3's internal GPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

One argument that can be made for SSD in HTPC would be that they make no noise.