Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BFD Zio
Sep 27, 2004
Here is a question...I am moving into a new place and really want to go the HTPC route but don't have the money YET. My girlfriend hates my computer, and there is a perfect place for it in the livingroom...on the opposite side where the TV will be.

Is there any reasonable way to get HD to my Sony LCD on the other side of the room? Or am I better off just waiting and dropping $700ish on building one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BFD Zio
Sep 27, 2004

dunkman posted:

Can you go under the carpet?

When I moved into my new apartment, the lady showing us the apartment just told us to let them know when we got cable and a TV put up and if we needed to run cables under the carpet, they would do it for us.

So, video card capable of DVI and a really long cable?

what about a HD Media streamer? (wireless)

BFD Zio
Sep 27, 2004
Ok scratch the use my computer problem...b/c i'll just use orb+360 to stream until I can get a real one.

I found this computer for sale though:

P4 1.7ghz
256 Mgs Ram
40 gig hard drive

It has linux on it right now, but I can change that to something like Linux MCE. I guess my question is...with that computer...would it be sufficient enough to take that and just add more ram, proper video card and sound card, and a external HDD?

BFD Zio
Sep 27, 2004
What is the best way to turn my current PC into a box just to play my HD movies?

I currently have a DVI out for my monitor, and my TV takes VGA and HDMI. Should I just invest in a 100ft VGA cable and a new soundcard that can do optical out at the same time as digital out (so that I can still keep my computer speakers hooked up, and just turn them off but get sound to the other receiver)?

BFD Zio
Sep 27, 2004
Quick question.

I bought a 100ft VGA cable. My video card is currently using my DVI out for my normal monitor, and I want to use the VGA cable to do dual/cloned monitor to my 50inch 1080i Sony LCD...however the picture is totally messed up and I can't change the settings. Any suggestions?

BFD Zio
Sep 27, 2004

taqueso posted:

That is a long VGA cable. Even with a good well-shielded cable, I think around 5 or 6m is the max recommended distance. I think they make signal amps for VGA. There are also CAT5 video transmitter/receiver pairs, but I don't know how well they work for video-quality signals, particularly whether they have a decent refresh rate. I've only seen them used in industrial applications where the display is mostly static.

edit: The device Alowishus posted is one of those CAT5 senders.

drat thats what I figured...Would DVI or HDMI fair any better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BFD Zio
Sep 27, 2004
Time to spring for a HTPC. Tried to pull it off cheap since my CPU was in the same vicinity as the TV.