Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I have been using SageTV on my HTPC for about 2 years now and love it.. I don't do HD (since I'm too poor for a HDTV+Service).

Celeron 3.02
768 RAM
2x 80GB HDD Striped + 64k clusters for video storage
3x Hauppauge PVR150 Tuners
NVIDA PureVideo
NVIDIA GeforceFX5200

I keep the server at my only input jack and use an amplified splitter to go to the three tuners. They get great reception. I then have 2 Hauppauge MediaMVPs which are in my office and bedroom that perfectly interface with the SageTV software (since the hauppauge software blows rear end). The extenders are basically little embedded systems with no heat, fans, or noise and do pretty much everything sage can throw at them for <$100.

Being a Mac/Linux guy, choosing XP for an OS hurt, but the time and effort saved on configuration has been a life saver, plus sage has been the best of all the other breeds of software I have used (Myth, BeyondTV, MCE etc.) If XP is tuned perfectly and does nothing but the HTPC operations it will run perfectly. Months on end without a crash or reboot.

We also have a pretty good development community writing plugins constantly that have added DVD burning, Web Radio playback, and alot more. I also setup fantastic commercial detection/skipping. The web interface plugin is awesome and lets me set up recordings and such from work.

The overall HTPC experience has been awesome and I love never having to worry about taping a show again. Especially with multiple tuners.

For those who have not, look into Sage. Def. My favorite (though not freeware)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Lowen SoDium posted:

Should I consider another front ends other than Media Portal? I have read others in this thread talk about Myth, Sage, Meedio, etc, but theres not been much talk about the strengths and weeknesses of each.

Being an avid sage user, I can say with full confidence that sage will 100% support your setup. Though sage is not freeware.

Plus, with sage, you can use hauppauge's MVP hardware as an extender for any other TVs in your home which will completely run sage's software instead of the hauppauge garbage.

V-Men posted:

Well, I'm down to the power supply unit I want to get. I'm thinking the Silverstone ST40F solely because it has six SATA power connectors. Is there anything else I should be considering?

I am a man who appreciates efficiency, noise reduction, and reliability. For an HTPC, I don't think you should need more then 300 watts personally. having the "next best thing in gigantic PSUs" typically leads to unused power and alot of extra plugs to try to tuck away somewhere. Not to mention the excess cooling and typically louder fans. (based on personal experiences)