Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Any thoughts/opinions on Woot's offering tonight?

http://www.woot.com/

I've been contimplating building a fancy looking HTPC, but that's pretty dang cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

SnatchRabbit posted:

Anyone wanna critique my potential setup?

I'll preface this with a disclaimer. None of my builds have actually made it out of a NewEgg shopping cart, so I'm far from an authority here. But, I'm in the same boat as you are with trying to keep costs down.

I was set a barebones Shuttle until I realized it was far more expensive than some of the other options. I've been going back and forth between these two. Granted, neither of them built in IR or a display quite as fancy as yours, but I'll bet you can cut upwards of $100 while at least maintaining your current specs and leaving room for more expansion in the future.

To compare, my cart right now comes out to $592.38 after shipping but before $35 in mail in rebates. You do have a better processor than I'm thinking about (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+), but I've got a hard drive, HD tuner and DVD drive too.

But again, I'm still figuring things out, so I may be way off here.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Euthyphro posted:

Thoughts on how this would hold up for running XBMC for Linux and streaming HD (either 720p or 1080p)?

http://gizmodo.com/394563/asus-eee-box-b202-our-first-look-plus-official-specs-only-300

I'm going to guess that thing will poo poo itself and catch fire at the thought of 720p, let alone 1080p. The Atom processors sound great for what they are, but are closer to a Pentium III than they are anything up to date.

Add in the lack of a video card to help out the decoding, and I'm thinking it's not going to happen.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

SirLoin posted:

I'm not sure about this brand, but you could try this card that comes with a decent looking rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162004

Edit: Though now that I look at it, it's not quite low profile.

Not quite, but it can be. The low profile brackets are included (see the last pic) and the VGA out is not hard mounted.

It'll be just fine.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

On Unicornback posted:

So I figured I need to ditch my xbmc setup because it can't playback hd video, and a long line of other things. I have a copy of Vista sitting around, so I'll probably do Vista MC.

Like someone who posted earlier I'm going with this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090

And this CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103255

It was mentioned that this would work for 1080p playback (lcd is currently 720p, just futureproofing). Would it be able to do blue-ray playback? If not, would adding a dedicated graphics card make blueray possible in the future? If that is the case, are there hd-decoder + tv tuner cards?

I'm pretty excited to get this thing rolling :cool:'

Edit: There seems to be a decent amount of negative reviews on Newegg due to short life span. Is there any merit to them, or just general idiots whining? One review even mentioned the firewire,spdif, etc ports are not there by default, and require ordering an expansion card?

I've actually been looking at that same board. It seems the onboard 780G GFX do a VERY good job of taking the load off the processor for HD video. Take a look at this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-780g-chipset,1785.html

Based on that, 1080P shouldn't be an issue with about any modern processor.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Fitret posted:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=5162329

I'm buying the above for an HTPC. There are a few exceptions - the processor listed there is going to replace the processor in my current PC, which I will then use in the HTPC. That means the HTPC is going to have a E6750 Conroe. Additionally, I have a like, 5 year old DVD-RW drive that I'll be using and a MCE remote.

Do I need anything else / did I forget anything? How does this build look? I plan on running MeediOS on Vista 32-bit and I mostly want to watch and record SD/HD content, play DVDs, and play some small amount of games (old school emulated games, no Crysis or anything crazy).

Nothing strikes me as wrong with that build, but why so little storage for such a high spec machine? Unless you've got more on your network, I'd want at least a TB. You'll burn through 500GB in no time with HD stuff.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

strikrr posted:

I need some suggestions on software for a HTPC. I have used XBMC for some time now on my xbox but alas it is starting to have some problems playing back some streamed xvid's etc.

The system will be a Windows PC, modern enough to run HD stuff. All I want to be able to do is go to a menu that has dvd cover albums and maybe some info like XBMC does when you link it to imdb. I want the same basic idea. Drop a movie into a folder on a network computer-->scan folder from HTPC-->cover art detected by title through imdb and away we go. The only thing this will be used for is music and movie playback so recording is not a big deal.

Any thoughts on something straight forward that is like xbmc but not xbmc?

Just to be sure, you do know that XBMC is available on PCs, correct?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Revol posted:

Do I have any options that would reduce the heat produced by my HTPC? I already revamped my PC's cooling, but that was to keep it's contents from overheating.

Anyone else familiar with my situation? Do I just have to deal with the heat? Am I stupid for having two computers in one room?

I'm sure you know this by now, but improving cooling isn't going to change the amount of heat your PC puts out. All that power going in has to come out somehow, and thermodynamics says that somehow is heat. The only way you're going to make less heat is by putting in less power.

Like evilalien said, a more efficient power supply would be one place to start. Past that, you may want to take a look into undervolting. I don't know how well it works with a P4 (I'm assuming that's what you have given the rest of your components), but check out this article for the basics.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/undervolt-cpu-phenom,2348.html

Then again, there's no reason you couldn't do this with your desktop as well.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

BorderPatrol posted:

Lenovo just snuck a nice multimedia Keyboard/Mouse out there

Pretty nice, and at $60 (~$30 with coupon codes) it's $50 less than Logitech's diNovoMini

I ordered one of these the other day. drat thing won't ship until 1/6 though.

If there's any interest, I'll follow up after I get to play with it a bit.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

My Lenovo media keyboard/trackball/mouse thing finally showed up today (P.S. I HATE signature required deliveries). I haven't played with it too much yet, but I've got some first impressions.

First off this thing is drat small. Like smaller than I was expecting, but in a good way. It's small enough to fit amongst my other remotes and not look completely out of place. Here's a picture (from my terrible camera phone.

Granted I've got some drat big hands, but it's just the size I was hoping.

As far as keys go it looks like everything from a regular keyboard is present with the interesting exception of the Escape key. Also interesting is the Fn+Enter performs Ctrl+Alt+Del. I assumed this meant that it couldn't handle three simultaneous inputs, but it can do this as well. It seems it would have made more sense to make Fn+Enter equal Escape, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. The standard media buttons are all present and everything worked without any sort of configuration.

Typing is pretty much like texting on a phone with a QWERTY keyboard. I wouldn't want to use it as a replacement for a real keyboard, but it works just fine for my HTPC purposes. The trackball is a trackball. I haven't used one of these since the mid 90s, so I can't say how it compares to a real one. Again though, it works for my purposes.

I was a little worried about the range but the keyboard works just fine from 20 yards away and through about 3 walls. I assume the mouse doesn't work as well from that far but I couldn't see the TV from that far.

One other oddity is the large orange button at the top left. This button opens My Computer, rather than something logical like Media Center. I can't really figure this one out but whatever.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this thing. However, even though it could work in place of a regular remote, I don't know if I'd recommend as your only input device. A regular remote works much better for Media Center purposes. But for coffee table keyboard and mouse purposes, it's just what I wanted.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

BorderPatrol posted:

I don't suppose you have any linux-based setups you could test that thing on, do you?

I don't at the moment, but I might be able to throw something together this weekend. I'm not real up on my distros (nor do I know if it would make a difference), but is there any particular one you'd like me to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

blankooie posted:

That thing looks exactly like my droid keyboard, but with an extra row and a few more buttons.

The keys on it are just slightly larger than those on my HTC Mogul/Titan and feel pretty much the same.

BorderPatrol - I've got the live CD downloaded. I'll try it out tomorrow or so and report back.

EDIT: Just figured out two more things:

1 - It does work during POST, so I can use it to get into the BIOS and mess around there.

2 - There are no F# keys. Combine this with the lack of an Escape key and there's no way to get out of the BIOS once you're in it. Oops.

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 8, 2010