Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perfect
Jun 11, 2005

Fire. Beer. Mayhem

Juriko posted:

Way smaller than that. A mini-itx system is more in line with a Mac Mini size wise. That silverstone is only slightly smaller than what I have. I am looking at something that I could just put in my backpack and take to a party.

i made a carputer that sounds very similar to what you are looking for.

It used this case:
http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ENC%2D004
and this mobo:
http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MTB%2D001

with laptop hard drive it ran really smoothly on a touchscreen installed in the car. This could possibly be what you are looking for but I doubt the mobo's onboard video can supply any kind of outputs that would be beneficial for a small HTPC that would fit in your backpack. Maybe a shuttle system would work better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perfect
Jun 11, 2005

Fire. Beer. Mayhem
actually now that i look at it that mobo has s-video and S/PDIF output, so maybe that would be a viable option to take to a party. The only downside would then be the lack of storage space.

perfect
Jun 11, 2005

Fire. Beer. Mayhem
question:

so i've built my HTPC and it has been fine for casual DVD watching streaming to my TV. I am trying to make the HTPC HD compatible and am running into some issues.

I have a few 720p movies that play fine on my normal computer but are all choppy on the HTPC. The CPU is a P4 running at 2.26Ghz and there is 768Mb of Ram. It's on a pretty old mobo but everything else works solidly. The video card on the other hand is a Ge Force MX 420, a dinky AGP 8x vid card with only 64Mb of onboard memory. I am using the S-video output of the video card to watch on my TV.

Is my bottleneck the video card or is there another problem I should try first? I installed CoreAVC on the HTPC and it made no difference. I can play the file (albeit choppy) in media player classic, but in VLC it plays for a few seconds, freezes, and then crashes. The file will play choppy on the TV or on the computer monitor as well.

perfect
Jun 11, 2005

Fire. Beer. Mayhem
so your saying this is CPU related and not video card related?

Also, do you mind explaining how to switch off x264 decoding in ffdshow, i can't find it and don't really know where to look.

thanks

perfect
Jun 11, 2005

Fire. Beer. Mayhem
unfortunately i cannot disable the h.264/AVC codec, all the options are greyed out and i see no dropdown box.

Oh well, maybe this will finally push me into upgrading my HTPC with some newer components rather than using old spare parts.

perfect
Jun 11, 2005

Fire. Beer. Mayhem

Rort posted:

In the options menu in MPC go to the "external filters" section, click "Add" and you should see "CoreAVC" in there, add that and set it to "prefer"

If that doesn't help try turning off de-blocking in CoreAVC's settings.

And if that doesn't help try uninstalling ffdshow and see if that's your problem.

Beyond that, you're most likely looking at a cpu (your current cpu should be able to handle 720p without a problem) upgrade if you want to play HD MPEG4 video.

thanks for the help, i tried all of these suggestions and unfortunately there was no effect. The CPU/Mobo is from a 5 year old computer so maybe that is my culprit. I guess short of purchasing a new CPU (if thats even possible for something this old) i'm pretty much stuck.

thanks for trying

perfect
Jun 11, 2005

Fire. Beer. Mayhem
They are in the .mkv container. I tried the haali splitter and still didn't notice any better results.

This is really bumming me out, i don't know what else I can do to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perfect
Jun 11, 2005

Fire. Beer. Mayhem
maybe I missed it but does anyone have a decent beginners guide for HD playback

I just upgraded my old HTPC with:
AMD 4800+ (AM2)
Gygabyte K9VGM-V Mobo
2Gb Ram (Gskill)
Asus Nvidia 8500GT Vid Card

I'm getting very lightly choppy playback intermittently throughout x264 encoded 1080p rips. I did a fresh re-install of Windows XP SP2 so other than Haali Media Splitter and VLC player I haven't installed anything else.

Any information would be much appreciated.