Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

King Hotpants posted:

The narrator in that LinuxMCE video has possibly the most "Linux" voice on earth. The subtle disdain for Microsoft, the air of superiority, the nasally overtones. It's all there. ;)

don't kill me

And now using Windows MCE... I have to turn on the TV myself :effort:

edit: Microsoft colors :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Has anyone here tried to do a lot of Blu-Ray playback on an Ion system? I realize the codecs will be accelerated for playback, but how is performance for non-video parts (load times, menu responsiveness, etc)? This is my one last concern before I finally settle on an Atom system vs. a mini-itx 775 board, especially since GPU-accelerated Flash seems to be coming soon to make online streaming a non-issue.

I was thinking about picking up an ASRock 330, but now I think I'm waiting for this board to become available. The PCI-E slot will be a nice addition so I don't have to purchase another USB tuner, and ideally I'll be able to use one of the new OCUR tuners when they become available.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15753/1/

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

BorderPatrol posted:

Yup, Boxee uses DVXA on the Windows side now, so no Linux required. DVXA should get ported to XBMC eventually, but Boxee's running with it right now.

I'm still iffy on the Hulu business. I just realized that Flash 10.1 will not install for some reason on my system so I'm pretty sure that if I can get it installed it will run Hulu fine.

Did you have Flash 10.0 installed before? 10.1 refused to install for me (despite no errors from the installer) until I went into Add/Remove and manually uninstalled it.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Hamburglar posted:

There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now.

If this means I can do ffdshow filters and stuffs I will be a happy, happy man.

DXVA (hardware accelerated decoding) and ffdshow are entirely separate things. ffdshow does not do hardware acceleration, and will not touch your video card. Further, DXVA codecs tend to be very limited in how they can be configured (though that usually doesn't matter).

Stutes fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 2, 2010

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
:siren:

It looks like a CableCARD-ready HDHomeRun is coming at CES!

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/01/04/hdhomerun-with-cablecard-coming-to-ces/

:siren:

This could be huge, since a single M-card tuner should be able to cover a whole household.

Stutes fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 5, 2010

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Thermopyle posted:

Acer Revo + Broadcom CrystalHD MiniPCI trip report:

Why would you need a CrystalHD card in a Revo? I don't think it's capable of doing anything that the NVIDIA chipset can't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Thermopyle posted:

This is it exactly.

If you want to use any Windows-only apps like WMC, in addition to XBMC, you have three choices...the CrystalHD, the DSPlayer branch of XBMC which is still in a very rough stage of development, or dual-boot into Linux.

Ah, makes sense. I remembered reading about DXVA support being implemented in Boxee and assumed that it would have made it over to XBMC by now.