Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there no way to run XBMC on a PC? I'm going to be setting up an HTPC once I get my new television because my understanding is that Xbox doesn't have the power to run 720p+ videos. I love the interface of XBMC and I don't want to spend time fighting some other piece of software. I've tried a couple of other media library programs and really not liked any of them, but I'd rather not shell out $500 for one of those upgraded Xboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sorry if it's been covered but does anyone know how to increase playback speed for HD video under linux? I followed the instructions for doing it in Windows from earlier in this thread (turning off x264 decoding in ffdshow) but I've just switched over to Ubuntu and have no idea where to find similar options. I'm using gstreamer with the very slick Elisa media front-end.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lemons posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a media center package for Linux? I'm trying Mythbuntu right now and... well, I'm not really feeling it. I don't use any DVR functionality, just playing back local files. The main thing I don't like about MythTV is that there doesn't seem to be any decent OSD while playing local files.

I'm really digging Elisa. It's a little buggy right now but the 0.5 release is due out in July and it should be pretty good. Kinda reminds me of a combination of Front Row and XBMC.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm rocking an Athlon 64 2800+ (Barton core I believe) and it chugs like sin on any sort of HD video. I don't want to drop the dough on getting a new motherboard, RAM, and the like, but it looks like I can get a much better socket 939 processor for a pretty good price. Would I be able to run HD video after making the upgrade to maybe like an X2 4200+?