Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005
I am in the market for an LCD monitor for going off to college. I want something in the range of 20"-22", 16:9 aspect ratio, and fairly inexpensive. I need it to double as a TV. My plan is to use it as my computer monitor and TV since I will be recording shows on my computer and watching them again when I have time. Anyone have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Are you talking about hooking up the monitor to a cable box/DVD player as well as a computer?
If that's the case you'd need to get an actual TV rather than a monitor. Nowadays the main difference is the TVs have a lower resolution (usually 720p), but have more video inputs and built in NTSC/ATSC tuners.

If you can live with 1280x720 as your desktop resolution it's probably the best bet. Of course, that comes with a big price difference, as a 22" LCD TV retail still runs 4-600 bucks.

If you just want to watch stuff you've recorded on your computer, or you can guarantee that all your video input devices will output through VGA/DVI/HDMI, a regular monitor will work.

No, I am going to have a TV tuner on my computer and I will also hook my Xbox 360 to the monitor. I am just looking for a TV replacement for my dorm room so that I don't have a TV and a computer monitor. So I guess I am looking for something with little backlight bleeding, good color, etc.