Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

strikrr posted:

Any particular brand that you used, or pretty much anything will work?

If there's one thing that linux has compatibility with, it's dvd/cd drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101114

Currently selling crap on craigslist to get one of these, should be perfect for my AV cabinet, plus it'll let me get rid of the DVD player. Probably helps that I already have a hdd, optical, and ram lying around. :)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Just pulled the trigger on this, review when I get it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Nice unit, the sides are slightly flimsy. Only one RAM slot, the newegg listing is wrong. Definitely is next-gen ION with dedicated 512MB ram. Adding hard drive/ram/dvd-rom was easy as pie. Massive amount of heat pipes/radiators inside since it's a silent unit, no fans. Comes with a vertical stand that I bet is probably pretty much mandatory for heat dissipation. Just have it hooked up to a regular monitor at the moment for setup, but this baby will go in my theater cabinet as soon as I have xbmc tweaked.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 14, 2010

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

dividebyzero posted:

What's the best way to do this? Is that even possible?

Possible? Yes. Worth the headache of DIY or cost of professional install? Probably not.

Depending on the construction of your house, running cat6 drops from a central location isn't hard at all, and doesn't really cost all that much.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

granpa yum posted:

does anyone have any suggestions for correcting files in your XBMC library that are incorrectly titled from whatever database scrape?

I've tried to manually rename them and refresh them in my library, but this usually comes back with a list of movies that includes only one title, which is the incorrect one. it typically happens to movies with nonstandard characters in the title (e.g. wall-e is in the moviedb as wall·e, and the former returns only a match of "walled in").

Install ember media manager, scrape the information/movie poster to each movie folder, and tell xbmc to look locally for that information.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

rugbert posted:

Are there any plans to bring Netflix support to linux?

hahahahahaha, the answer to this is "never," unless it's a completely locked down environment a la a set top box of some kind.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

EC posted:

@ShinAli: is there a reason you want your HTPC to act as a server as well? Why not build an actual server hidden away in a closet and then use low power boxes to stream your media?

This is what I did and I couldn't be happier. Build/buy a storage box of some kind and run some ethernet for the boxee box to access the media. Boxee box bugs aside, I have no issues with performance whatsoever and I don't have to dick around with it for hours to get it to work.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

eddiewalker posted:

He's talking about the funny shaped Boxee appliance built by D-Link. I think that thing was too little, too late. $100 more towards a low-power HTPC is a pretty smart decision, especially with the way content providers want to limit internet content to dedicated set-tops. As long as Hulu is computer-accessible, I can get it on my HTPC.

As someone who doesn't use Hulu, only wanted to play local content off my storage server with the occasional online streaming, didn't want to gently caress with hardware, codecs, software setup, remote setup, application customization and scripting, talking the wife through troubleshooting when i'm away, and wanted it to just loving work, the Boxee Box was a far superior choice than any sort of HTPC. It's definitely not too little, too late, as everywhere that I've seen them sold, they're sold out. Every firmware revision has gotten better and better, and with Netflix and Vudu along with local content, is likely a better choice for people who are tired of dealing with stupid computer bullshit just to watch a movie.

A full-on HTPC has its place for those people that want the extra power and flexibility that a full-on PC gives you, as does the Boxee Box or any other media playing set top box. Enjoy Hulu on your tv, i'll enjoy my ease of use. :)

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 2, 2011

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cazic Thule posted:

But .iso is one file too. Hmm.

And anything worth a poo poo will play an iso file. Plus it's about two clicks to burn off a copy to take on a trip, copy for the kids so they don't gently caress up the original, etc.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Bunk Rogers posted:

Now that I've everything up and running I'd like to archive my DvDs. Is AnyDVD the only real option here?

If you're just ripping them off to iso, dvd decrypter will do 99% of all dvds, with the exception of some Disney and Lionsgate releases.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Telex posted:

irrelevant, I just bought a boxee. It is everything I have ever wanted, so far.

Yessss, :getin:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A Harmony is significantly less of a pain in the rear end to set up than getting HDMI-CEC working, especially across different brands.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Things like that are why I stopped giving a gently caress about "doing the right thing" a long time ago.

Join us....

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of my Boxee Boxes finally died, RIP. Is there a modern equivalent that I can just plug in, point to a network share, and start playing mkvs, etc, preferably with a decent GUI? I was a huge fan of the boxee box because I didn't have to do gently caress-all to configure it, but I no longer have the patience or time to mess around with config files, etc. 802.11ac is a plus.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Shield looks like the ticket, thanks!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thermopyle posted:

What's even slicker than recording live TV is being a dirty pirate.

I just moved and got 400mbit down. Going from 22mbit down is...wonderful.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got the new Shield TV pro for Christmas, already had a gamepad. A+ would ask for again.

The 5 year is laughing her head off at goat simulator, .99c well spent!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thermopyle posted:

I've never played games on my Shield TVs besides emulators but today I decided to try some of these games in the Nvidia Games app that says "Free with SHIELD".

So, I try to open up Tomb Raider and it says I'm not a Geforce Now member and I have to request access to the beta.

That...seems kinda weird. If it's free with the device it seems odd to not let me play it.

I just figured this out, you can get signed up here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/rewards/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
VLC and just navigate it to the folder?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Shield tv Pro all the way, I love mine. Between built in Plex, hdmi-Cec, app casting, and how I have my sound system wired, I have full first floor sound with a second zone set of in wall speakers in the kitchen.

The zone volume controller is right inside the closet off the kitchen/dining room so it’s easy to turn on and off depending on what we’re watching/playing. I can be casting a live YouTube race, see the tv from the kitchen and do the dishes while still hearing the audio. Same thing for OTA antenna 5.1 surround, feeds the signal to the second zone however I want to process the audio.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
File server in the basement has plenty of storage for Linux ISOs...every entertainment device including the shield is hard-wired back to the main gig switch.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not saying it works for everyone, but it does for me. You could also load up an external bard drive with all their favorite movies and shows and plug it into the shield, it has plex server already installed.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Because for the cost, electricity usage, time spent tweaking all the bullshit to work together, and potential noise in your living room you’re much better off just buying a drat $200 nvidia shield.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I don’t even use my Harmony anymore unless it’s to turn on OTA tv and that is a rare occasion. I only have a tv, receiver, and shield though so there isn’t a lot to go wrong with hdmi-cec. Also nice to be able to control it all through the shield phone app to turn down the volume or whatever from across the house if the kids turn it up too loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ante posted:

Update for me: I got a Chromecast and a Bluetooth speaker. It's okay. I might get a nicer stereo Bluetooth speaker system, but ehhh

That’s what I do in the garage, mostly for playing music. Got a cheap Bluetooth enabled T-amp and hooked up some decent speakers. Works pretty well!