Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Horned posted:

I'm not sure this is the right thread but I searched and came up nada so here goes:

I've got tons of VHS that need to be on DVD for size, deterioration and backup issues. Some of them are home movies, some football games, some are purchased movies. I tried connecting my PC to the VHS but while a couple of them worked, the bought movies were no-go.

I've been told that this is due to something called Macrovision. I'm not sure what it is (something to do with "pulsing the VBI"??) I fished around and came up with this to correct this "pulse" or whatever:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/review194800.html

Has anyone direct experience with this or similar devices? Would it be easier to just get a VHS/DVR combo thing or am I facing the same issues? I also understand that there are services where you can send your tapes and blank DVD's and they'll do it for you. Worth the while?

Thanks for helping out.
First off, why would you want to record a VHS tape onto a DVD when you could just get the bought movie on DVD? Since the picture quality difference is pretty large, I'd think that if the movie were important to you, you'd just buy it and get important things like an anamorphic presentation and 5.1 sound. Secondly, yeah that thing will correct for Macrovision, and no, a combo unit won't help you. I'm also sure those services will not copy prerecorded tapes onto a DVD for you.

Seriously though, just rebuy the goddamned movies. The difference between the two formats more than justifies the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU