Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinison Khan
Apr 14, 2006

From a hooker's heart I stab at thee...
Hi,

Just got a clean install of Windows Media Center Edition up and running. Installed the usual group of codecs (Defiler pak, ffdshow, media player classic, etc). Yet MCE does not play back HiDef .TS or .MKV files (plays 720p XViD files). Media Player Classic has no problem with these formats. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinison Khan
Apr 14, 2006

JohnnyBravo posted:

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogm]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/x-ogm"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.ogm]
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mkv]
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"

Hey cool that worked, now how do I get it to actually play .mkv files? Do I use some directshow codec/filter?

Kinison Khan
Apr 14, 2006

JohnnyBravo posted:

Uninstall/reinstall DefilerPack yet?

Yeah done that. MKV files work fine in Media Player Classic, it just doesnt play back in MCE.

Kinison Khan
Apr 14, 2006

JohnnyBravo posted:

Play one in Windows Media Player first. It'll come up as an unrecognized file type and ask if you're sure if you want to open it. Say yes and check the box to always open them in WMP. Once it plays there it _should_ open in WMC.

Nah, not even MS Media Player will play it back. I installed the CoreAVC, which is supposed to be some super efficient h264 codec. Still nothing.

Kinison Khan
Apr 14, 2006

Ryokurin posted:

Matroska is a container. Media player classic can play it as it natively understands the container. You can find filters to read the format here. http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

I personally recommend haali's splitter as its updated frequently (it says last october there, but its been updated at least 5 times since then. The link is to the latest however)

Wow, that fixed it. WMCE plays everything now. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinison Khan
Apr 14, 2006

pretend to care posted:

Ok, WTF is the deal here.

I've got my DVI-HDMI cord going to my new 42" Toshiba LCD. It says no signal, and when I go to my monitor configurations I can't even detect the LCD.

What am I doing wrong? Do I have to install drivers for the monitor or something?

I have a similar setup (DVI2HDMI & Toshiba 42" LCD), what you may need to do is reset the factory defaults for the TV itself. Go into the Install Setup, look for a firmware setting and arrow over left or right until you see an option to reset to defaults (Press 0000 then let it reset, unplug power cable for 20-30 seconds). Reboot HTPC and it should display through DVI.

I have yet to see if this little bug reproduces when using the component cable output.