Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
I just picked up a new TV and would like to turn my current desktop computer into a HTPC. I have a print out of what I currently have.[/url] As you can see it's a Dell Dimension 8400. I'm trying to find out if it is ATX. Does anyone know? I think a while ago I found out it wasn't.

A few things I want it to do:
Watch/Record HD/SD Programing
Store Movie Backups

Here's what I have that I tihnk I want to keep in the PC:
2 SATA drives totaling 410GB
1 DVD Burner
2GB RAM
Processor

Things I think I might need to replace/get:
Motherboard - If its not ATX I would like to get an ATX one, those cases are much better
RAM - Maybe 4x512MB instead
ATI x800 Vid Card
ATSC Tuner

If the motherboard isn't ATX, does anyone know of any good black Media Center PCs? And if it is, any good ATX black cases? What else am I overlooking or will need to upgrade?

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
I'm going to be putting together a HTPC very soon and am looking for some input. I am trying to decide whether to put together a whole new PC for it, or just transform my current desktop (I have a laptop that I'd use for everyday college stuff). My current desktop has this:
  • Dell Dimension 8400 Mini-Tower*
  • Dell 0J3492 ATX Mobo*
  • 3.2 GHz P4 Processor
  • 2GB DDR2 667 RAM*: 2x512MB 1x1GB
  • 260 GB SATA HDD*
  • ATI Radeon X800GT 128MB*
  • XP Media Center Edition
* Things I think I would upgrade either way.

I am looking to put all this in a case that is less than 16"(W) x 20"(L) x 8"(H). In order to do this I think I will need a new mobo because it's a Dell and will probably be easier that way. I haven't decided which one, but I don't think I will upgrade the Processor. I will most likely upgrade the RAM to 2x1GB DDR2 667/800 (depending on the new mobo). The HDD will be upgraded to at least a 500GB SATA drive. Graphics card will be a last priority and a "if its in my budget" kind of thing.

Although I'll have this set up as a HTPC I'd like to still use it for gaming as well. Nothing too graphics heavy, though. This will be hooked up to a 37" LCD through HDMI running at 1360x768. I would like to be able to watch 720p TV and use the DVD drive to watch movies. One other thing that I may do is set up a smaller 15/17" LCD monitor so that I can use it as a computer and still watch TV.

What do you think? Good to just upgrade or should I just build a whole new one. I am also looking for cases that fit those dimensions and are nice looking but basic/simple/easy on the eyes. Are there any suggestions? And finally, as far as TV Tuners go, what brands are good for the money and what features would be necessary to record/watch 720p?

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
Are there digital amplifiers/switches? I know when I run long setups at work I need to run VGA through an amp before putting it on a projector. We run VGA cables about 50' regularly with that setup. That way might be cheaper and still produce the quality picture you want, if it's around.

Just found this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2&style=

quote:

# Support high-resolution display settings480p, 720p, and 1080i(with upto 50ft Monoprice 28AWG, 24AWG, and 22AWG Tin and Silver-Plated Copper HDMI cables)
# 1080p(with upto 35ft Monoprice 28AWG, 24AWG, and 22AWG Tin-Plated Copper cables)
# 1080p (with 50ft Monoprice 22AWG Silver-Plated Copper cable)

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
I think this was posted before, but search didn't turn it up for some reason. I'm looking at ATSC TV Tuners. It looks like this one is pretty good.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815260007

Though I remember reading that ATSC tuners had trouble with software or something. Will this one be able let me watch HDTV (720p at least) on my computer screen? Will I be able to record off of it? What programs do people use to do both of the following?

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
I am putting together a HTPC and will be purchasing very soon(most likely later tonight or early tomorrow). I just wanted someone to look over it and let me know if there will be any problems, this is my first total build.

Mobo: ASUS P5K-VM
CPU: Intel E6750
RAM: G.SKILL 4x1GB PC26400 RAM
HDD: Seagate 500GB HDD
Case: Antec V2 Fusion Black, Antec NSK2480, or Thermaltake/Antec Cube Cases (Which all come with PSU)

I want to be able to set up and record TV from my DirectTV box, what sort of programs work best for this and which cards do I need to look at?

As far as cases, I can't decide if I want the cubes or the other ones, does anyone have any experience and/or feedback with either?

I will also be using this as a moderate gaming machine, and for now will be using the onboard graphics until I can find a good price on some GPUs.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

VVVVVV Do you have a link to where you can do this?

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 23, 2007

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

900ftjesus posted:

I'm running MythTV and using one of these: http://store.mytvstore.com/004.html

MythTV receives remote events through the IR receiver on the PVR-250 and then changes the channel on my digital cable box accordingly. It's been extremely reliable and hasn't ever had a problem once I got it working.

I saw MythTV, but I don't really want to run MythTV as a front-end because I don't want my computer in Linux. I'll be using it for gaming as well. I found MediaPortal and it seems to be what I want. Does MediaPortal do the same as you mentioned?

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

EC posted:

Goddamn every time I start looking at upgrading stuff I just get confused and walk away. Compare the above with this:

...and give me advice. The below stuff is right at $300, but I had already decided to ditch the 8400gs from the top one and move to the 8600, which brought the total price to $240. I'm thinking of going with the bottom setup since I could easily upgrade the video/RAM/CPU going forward.

Anybody know if that mobo handles x264 stuff correctly?

Also, I can't for the life of me get the prices on Core2Duo's. The 6550 is $169, the slower 6420 is $204, and the speedier 6600 is $229. :wtf: Feels like I'm missing something, but doing a side-by-side comparison on Newegg doesn't show anything obvious...

I'd go with the second setup for a few reasons. 1) With the Gigabyte Motherboard it gives you onboard DVI and DSub with a nVidia 7150 chipset, more than enough for an HTPC, but if you want you can still upgrade that for gaming, too. 2) It gives you a more powerful processor and you will be more "future proof" (If such a thing exists). 3) The Motherboard is MicroATX and if you wanted you could get a smaller HTPC case if you don't already have one. Overall, the second setup seems better, although I would recommend for an extra $5(after shipping) that you get 2x1GB of RAM. And if you want to spend the extra $20 the E6750 processor is faster, can easily overclock, and seems to be the goon favorite(for whatever advantages that is). But either CPU will be fine, it's jsut if you want to spend the extra for that little more umph.

Ninja edit: And yeah, I can't figure out the pricing on newegg either, I just take advantage of it.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

EC posted:

Ok, thanks for the advice. I think I will bump it up to 2gig and the 6750, it's only like $50 more, so why not? :)

Edit: what's a good CPU cooler for the 6750? I want to get one as silent as possible...

I have not used a cooler in any of my computers, but this Coolmaster one seems to be fairly good as far as specs. It's aluminum and copper so it might not be the best, since a full copper one would reduce more heat) but for the price (read: free) it might just do the trick.

If you want a better one, as far as I know the things to look for would be copper heatsink, the higher AirFlow:Size ratio the better, and then finally the lower dB output the better.

Gr1mm posted:

Now all I need is a IT receiver for the Harmony remote? Can anyone lead me to a good receiver? I know the one posted above, but for 50 dollars that seems too much for me.

If you mean an Infrared Receiver (IR) then I just bought the MCE Remote and it seems to be working fine with my Harmony 880. I don't have a link, but I will edit with one soon.

edit: Newegg has it, but they're servers down. I thought I'd noticed it acting buggy lately. Anyway, here's the remote I was talking about, but no link to buy it. MCE Remote. I bought mine with the AverMedia Capture Card Combo on Newegg, the total was $95 after shipping.

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 27, 2007

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

EC posted:

Does the stock one produce a lot of noise? I'm not going to be overclocking the thing anytime soon, so noise is the first priority for me.

The stock fan/heatsink will be just as loud as any other that you've heard. I can't find the data on the stock stuff so I don't have any numbers for you to compare to, but after market coolers with a good brand will be made better and reduce heat.

I'm contemplating buying the one I linked you to, but I don't think it will fit in my case.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
Does anyone know of a way to have the ISOs recognized by Vista Media Center and set it to mount them when I click the icons? I'm fairly sure it's possible(I think I've seen it) but can't figure out how to do it. Maybe I need to extract them into Video and Audio folders but even then I couldn't find the settings in MC. Thanks

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

^^^ Thanks for that link. Looks much better than Girder.
Can anyone recommend a video card and/or TV tuner for this:
http://us.shuttle.com/ConfigurePackage.aspx?package=SYG5-3300-R

It is a cube (SFF) and I plan on using it for HD video and some 3d work. I don't pay for cable TV or sattelite so all I really need is a good HD optical drive (which one??) and a better card than this one:
GEFORCE 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E (which is what the page recommends)

Soooo. . . anyone else use a SFF for HTPC? Are hauppage cards still the tvcap standard? I don't plan on capturing HD off an antennae or anything. I just want it to playback HD from the drive or from the HDMI port built in. I would like to integrate the shuttle with my stereo system as much as possible.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that I have a slingbox I would like to add to the HTPC system somehow.

To be honest, that website is drastically overcharging for everything. I just put together a similar computer, the only difference being I have a faster processor, a better graphics card, and more RAM, and it only cost me just under $1000 total.

Just to give you an idea by, looking at the upgrade costs, to upgrade to 4GB RAM it would cost you $312 for PC25300 from them when Newegg and other sites sell 4GB of PC26400 for $100 or less.

Unless you really don't want to mess with building a system and money's not an issue, I would not buy from them. Unless there is something I'm completely missing.

edit: If you are planning on using the HDMI port for video/audio to a receiver or straight to your TV then you would not also need the Graphics Card, unless you wanted to connect your computer to TV twice but that would defeat the purpose of HDMI.

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 7, 2007

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

Sorry to give you the wrong impression. I am building it myself. I just bought the barebones and I am going to pop a quadcore in there + 4 gigs of ram running XP64. The problem comes in what graphics card/tv tuner I should buy. I think I want to hold off on the tuner because I don't even pay for cable (I dload all my TV). I do need to use it for 3d modeling however so I am trying to figure out the best card for HD (since I plan on buying a HD projector) and 3d which will fit in the case.

I figure an Nvidia 8800 but I can't figure out which ones are compatible. Also - I will probably have a reciever with HDMI . . . so I am trying to figure out how to ty this into a new receiver for x-mas.

Well, the 8800GT is an option to pick from that they list so I'm going to suggest that one. As far as Tunes go, I don't plan on recording HD so I just bought a AverMedia SD Tuner and it works fairly well(would work better if my satellite box had coax out but...)

I also have a receiver and here is how I currently have my HTPC running through it. DVI>HDMI cable for video going into the TV's HDMI. Then I have a S/PDIF out from my motherboard going into my receiver on an audio only input. My receiver doesn't decode the video signal from the Graphics Card so I had to go this route instead of putting it into my receiver.

Also, why XP64? Driver support is terrible and very few companies are still developing for it. If all your hardware has drivers for it that are stable and thats what you need, then that'd be fine. But if not I'd step up to Vista 64 if your 3D software is compatible.

edit: You will most likely need to upgrade Power Supply for the 8800GT though.

edit2:

vanilla slimfast posted:

I did a bit of research (as I don't have any kind of satellite service myself) and it seems like the only way you'd be able to use your service would be to do frame capture over something like svideo (satellite dish -> satellite receiver -> svideo cable -> capture card in htpc). In addition, you'd need to set up an IR blaster to allow the HTPC to control the channel changing on the receiver.

This will work fine but would not give you HD capabilities

I was specifically searching around MythTV resources (as that is the HTPC software/platform I use) so I don't know if running something like Windows MCE would give you more options. Apparently they do make tuner cards that are compatible with satellite (DVB-S) but I'm not sure if they're specifically compatible with Dish as a service

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/164629?search_string=dish%20network;#164629

I am doing exactly this. I have DirecTV HD Box running to my TV via HDMI and to my HTPC via RCA and then converted to SVideo at the Capture Card.I'm using Vista MCE with the MCE Remote(which comes with the "blaster") and it works just fine. The only problem is the video quality, but that is to be expected. Vista MCE also has a zoom feature that converts 4:3 into 16:9. The tuner I use has an ATSC tuner, but the Sat Box doesn't have a Coax out to use, only the RCA (maybe Component but I don't think so).

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 7, 2007

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

I’m heavily considering building myself an HTPC. So far, I’ve allotted myself a budget of $600, but that can change depending on the recommendations in this thread. Essentially, my sticking points are cost and size. I’d like something that will fit inside my entertainment center that won’t make much more noise than my 360 with a decent enough front end not to make me cry for XBMC. Mostly, I’d like to use the machine for HD playback, 720p/1080i, (1080p would be nice but I’d rather keep the cost down than be able to play 1080p stuff) media/fileserver with a 500GG-1TB HDD. Also would like to do some MAME/Dreamcast Emulation, maybe some PC gaming but nothing crazy. No video recording or anything. I’d like to connect via HDMI since the 360 Is taking up my TV’s only VGA port and be able to wake the PC up on LAN or turn it on with my Harmony remote. So, can I do this within budget? I can salvage some parts from my old desktop like the HDD, (possibly) RAM and disk drives.

$600 is more than enough to do this. What dimensions are your entertainment cabinet, so you can find the right case. I'd imagine that most cases you'll find to fit that will be microATX form factor, so here's a rough estimate of a new machine.

Find a case that is either ATX or MicroATX, MicroATX fits in both so this build work work with either. If a Power Supply is needed then this one will work well.

ECS Intel G33 MicroATX motherboard
Intel Processor, Pick one depending on how much you want to spend
Corsair 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
XFX NVIDIA 8600GT Graphics Card

If you have the Hard drive and CD drives from your old computer then you'd be all set. You'd use a DVI>>HDMI cable and get the input you want, though a separate cable for sound would be needed. That comes to about $450-500 depending on what case and processor you pick.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

You guys are talking about the Fusion 430? How do you find the IR receiver? I'm planning on using this HTPC with a Harmony remote and would like some confirmation that it will work under Ubuntu/MythTV/Windows.

I thought of getting the Fusion case, but in the end it was going to be too big. So I can't comment on that, but other Antec cases would probably fit rather nicely. The Minuet 300 but I believe it requires a half-height video card. I like the look of Thermaltake's Bach line but according to the dimensions those are just as large as the Fusions, can anyone confirm/deny this?

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

SubCrid TC posted:

I'm assuming you can effectively turn off the VFD by using the Shuttle XPC Tools utility. It lets you select what it shows. So if you just deselect everything I would assume it won't show anything at all. Once I have the system I'll dig around inside and see if I can find a good way to disconnect the light, otherwise I'll just throw a piece of tape over it like I had to on my TV.

A good way, if you know you will never want it, is to just simply snip the wire inside the case. Just make sure you know which wire you're cutting, but it's fairly simple to figure out. Just follow the wires to where they go.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Gromit posted:

I have a 50" Panasonic plasma, and run my HTPC at 1280x720 via HDMI. I use onboard ATI graphics, and use the control panel to get the picture to fill the screen (otherwise I get a small black border around it.)
Are you saying there is a setting somewhere on the TV itself that I can't find that would let me run native 1366x768? Or is it only available if I'm using the VGA input?
I don't care that much, as it is perfectly fine watching video at 1280x720 of course. But if my Windows would be clearer at native res I'd be happier, perhaps.

Actually, now that I've written all that, my display of 1280x720 having a border around it would seem to indicate my set is doing 1:1 mapping. I'm scaling this to fill the screen with the ATI control panel and that is making my display a tiny bit fuzzier (maybe?) The problem is probably that the HTPC won't let me chose 1366x768 as a display resolution to output.

If your HDTV has a native resolution of 1366x768 I would suggest using that instead of filling the screen. If you can't find 1366x768 as an resolution option use Powerstrip which lets you output at any crazy resolution you want to.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Randi Challenger posted:

This is HTPC revision 2. Anything missing that I should look into?

Looks good. I take it you have a HDD already?

I have an old computer sitting at home doing absolutely nothing. I think I am going to turn it into my set-top box. It only has a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz processor and a gig of DDR2 667. I know it's probably not enough to decode the fancy stuff, but is this enough to watch HD cable and record? It'd be sweet if I only needed a nicer case, probably a power supply, and front end.

Also, since this will need to be on almost all the time and very easy to use(since some random friend might be watching it) what would be the best front end to go with? It needs to have support for an IR remote. I also would like to rip my DVDs to the computer and have it generate a list of movies to watch.

One last thing, will the onboard graphics on an older motherboard be good enough to do HD? I'm thinking of the GMA950 chipset series. And if I want to do 5.1 sound will I need to have an S/PDIF connection, or can I use the pink, yellow, blue, green, etc connection?

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 16, 2008

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

What operating system do you want to run on it? Windows/Linux?

What would you be plugging the surround sound into, a receiver of some sort? You can do it with the analog outputs (pink yellow etc), if the thing you are plugging into on the other side can handle that for input.

Your motherboard doesn't have a s/pdif coax or optical output?

I have never used Linux before, but I think I am going to try it this time. Meedios is the Linux OS for HTPC's right? What about the XBMC port I remeber reading a few pages back, is that out now?

I'm trying to keep this cheap, and all the boards with S/PDIF bring the price up, though I have found a few. My question was basically, is that something I NEED to be looking for or is it possible to go without it. It will be going into a Sony Receiver with RCA and S/PDIF inputs so I'm not sure how to set up 5.1 using RCAs. Is this possible, or should I just simplify it and get the S/PDIF?

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

What is the model number for your receiver? That would help us tell you whether you can hook it up without s/pdif. If it does in fact have analog ins, you would just need to get a couple of 1/8" to RCA cables to wire it all up. The digital/surround decoding would be done by the computer instead of the receiver in this setup.

Its a Sony DG910. I'm currently using the three HDMI, one Component, TV, DMPORT, and AUX. My computer is currently running to the SA-CD via Coaxial S/PDIF, but that won't be an issue when I build this HTPC. I'm thinking I'll just get a board with S/PDIF just to make it simple. But I'm curious so if someone could explain it to me anyway that'd be great.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
I started looking at Meedio and MeediOS and I am confused as hell. I don't know if it's cause I haven't dealt with Linux before, or if I am just completely missing something. Here's what I want the program to do:
  • Use my TV Tuner to watch and Record TV
  • Have a built-in guide for my TV Tuner
  • Display the movies that I have ripped to the computer, and grab artwork for them
Thats really the basics of what I want to do. I'll probably add some of the more advanced stuff once I get a feel for the software. Stuff like CNN Headlines, Weather, streaming videos..etc.

Can anyone point me to a place that will help me understand and setup what I awnt to do?

edit: MeediOS is for Windows? See, thats how confused I am.

edit 2: Looks like MythTV is going to work out for what I want to do. Is the Mythbuntu package working pretty well?

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 20, 2008

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

I run Myth on Ubuntu but I'm not running it from the Mythbuntu packages/distro. It works like a charm though.

How comfortable are you with Linux though? If you don't know anything about Linux as an OS, Myth might be a bit more challenging for you, although the out-of-the-box setup from packages works pretty well.

Search for previous posts by me in this thread if you want to read up on the details of my current Myth setup

I have no experience with Linux, but I have always been curious. Is there a good place to start to learn other than just doing it?

I really like the look of MythTV and I do need a project(if college isn't enough).

edit: Well I just noticed my AverMedia M780 isn't compatible with linux, so I guess thats out. Don't want to have to buy a new card. Are there any decent windows builds besides SageTV?

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 20, 2008

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
This post is not so much an HTPC question, as just a general PC video watching question.

Codecs. Can someone enlighten me about them? I have a few specific questions too, but a general overview of which ones are good and such would be nice.

I'm going to be using Media Center for now, maybe Media Portal. I would love to be able to play 720p video files. So what will I need to be able to watch 720p files in Media Center?

Also, where does one obtain these :filez: of 720p quality? Are they DVD rips? Are we not allowed to say on the forums?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Phillyt posted:

There is a thread about codecs in the SHSC forum, look for it there it's very recent. As for files, you're an idiot.

Thank you for the direction to the codecs thread, but I have already looked there and there is little information about what each codec package does. That thread is just people saying which ones they use with MPC and then to use VLC if nothing works. Unless someone has posted something new in the past 4 or 5 days, that does not pertain to my question.

Also, those codec packs that I have tried in the past have made it unable to use Media Center to watch anything. And that doesn't really help me since that was why I posted in the first place. Next time, if you really can't help then don't say anything, it makes everything easier.

As for the files, all I have are .avi which are not HD. They can be upscaled fairly well, but they're not true HD. How do you rip DVDs to your harddrive and have Media Center recognize them, and then upscale them? Maybe I am just missing something, so tell me what I'm missing.

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 28, 2008

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
Has anyone successfully gotten SageTV to communicate with the MS IR Blaster? I've tried three ways found on google, but none worked right.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

EC posted:

Yeah, several ways. Allow me to refer you to the very top notch and quality New Users Getting Started Guide which covers such topics. If you're using Vintage, you might want to glance at the oft-updated first post of the Vintage thread, which covers how to do all the imports you need to get music, movies, tv shows, weather, rss feeds, email notifications, and the Aeon stuff to work.

I'm going to be changing from MediaPortal to the vintage MeediOS tonight. In what order should I be configuring thing? Should I install MeediOS Ultimate and get that set up. And then once I have that running change to the vintage theme? Or should I start from vintage?

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
I've got Meedio Vintage all set up and running, but when I'm watching a video on my TV I get a "No Signal". Pressing a button wakes it up, and the file is still going during this because the sound through my receiver doesn't stop. Any idea where to start checking?

edit: Whats wrong with the meedios site, I can't get it to load?

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 2, 2008

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

HTPC Building

Most of your questions depend on what you will be viewing. You said that you'll be connecting it with S-Video, so I'm assuming that you won't be using it for any HD content. If thats correct, will you be upgrading to HD anytime soon? The reason I ask is because the HD processing will require a better CPU.

No, you don't need a video card, the on-board video can work just fine. An advantage to using a graphics card is to have the video card do the decoding instead of the CPU, but again thats for HD content. And yes, if the motherboard uses HDMI then that will work whether you have a video card or not.

If the case says that it needs low profile cards then you will have to buy low profile cards*. This is because the case is not tall enough to include a full profile card. Profile refers to height, not width. So if there are low profile(short) video cards that take up 2 slots then those would be usable.

Using an AMD processor/motherboard will work out to be cheaper, but not necessarily as powerful.

A comment about the case you chose. Is 120mm going to fit EXACTLY into your TV Unit? There is a vent on the top of that case, and giving it some extra room on top would be a very good thing.

Lastly, you should check out the guide for building a computer in SHSC. It will help you understand exactly what you'll need.

*I seem to remember there being adapters, but I'm not sure if this works with graphics card.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Kreez posted:

Old Computer parts

HD will be questionable, but it should be able to handle SD stuff fairly easily. I would say no to buying a new graphics card because the first thing you'll want to upgrade is..well everything I guess. You'll need a new motherboard, and you can get a decent enough one with built-in video for HD (hence no video card needed). As long as that processor is LGA775 socket(and I think it is) then the processor will be fine after that upgrade. The RAM will need to be upgraded with the motherboard, though, as new motherboards are DDR2. RAM is fairly inexpensive at this point so that won't be a huge out of pocket cost.

If you can spend $150 right now and want to do HD, you'll want to grab a new motherboard and some RAM to do HD right away. That processor won't be able to do 1080p, but should handle 720p just fine. My 3.4 OC'd Pentium 4 does 720p flawlessly so it may be just good enough. For HD content, unless you have a server set up, that 60GB will be gone fast after a 7GB Windows install.

Basically, as you said you'll need to slowly replace it all. But motherboard and RAM are much more important than a new graphics card, especially if you want to do HD. For $150 you'll be able to find a good motherboard and 2GB of DDR2 800 RAM. If you like the Antec cases, keep checking their B-Stock site. I've bought both my cases there for $35+shipping and have had no problems.

edit: That processor is indeed LGA775. Also, it has a 15x multiplier according to Wikipedia so overclocking it is a good option if you find that HD isn't coming through well enough.

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 10, 2008

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
Another idea would be to create a new hardware only HTPC thread. This one started as just a general place to talk about HTPC and post pics of what you've had. Although this thread has evolved into more hardware chat, a new thread limited to hardware would mean an OP that would give good info on the latest stuff for HTPCs.

As far as front-end thread though, it'd be nice to see pros/cons of each with the links to where more info can be found. Personally, I don't really want to see a thread dedicated to fixing peoples problems with front-ends. Thats why those front-ends have forums with more knowledgeable people, the devs. So what I'd like to see is what goons think of each one. Or if people have found that a certain front-end doesn't work with X component. Although, I guess most of that would be found in the devs' forums again, so I dunno.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Fuzz1111 posted:

In either case you will need a good CPU, but a cheap mobo + cheap vidcard is cheaper than an expensive mobo with HDMI output, or atleast it was when I put my HTPC together. The gap is closer now, but seperating things also provides more expansion options later (if you go a mobo with HDMI-equipped onboard now, you will be tied down to upgrading both mobo and video at the same time, and paying the price premium for the expensive motherboards).

I'm not really sure what you're talking about as far as motherboards. I just bought a an HDMI motherboard for $70, which is far less expensive then a motherboard(~$50) and video card that can do encoding(~$100-120). And that motherboard supports all C2D processors, so the fact of not having a video card is pointless. An E2200(I have an E2180 not overclocked) can do HD content without overclocking, and if you do overclock then it just makes it all the simpler. The motherboard also has a PCIe slot for a video card if I want to go that route later. As you said, things used to be different and more expensive but as of right now it would be cheaper to get a motherboard with HDMI if thats what they want.

edit: Look here for all the motherboards with PCIe and HDMI The first option is from a reputable brand(XFX) and is only $80.

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 19, 2008

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Peacebone posted:

Got a recommendation for a cheap remote control and receiver so I can use that? I've tried googling but everyone comes up with getting the Microsoft Remote Control and IR unit that comes with it. I'd rather not spend the $70 or so that it is if I can as I just want to control Media Player Classic.

I've been looking into IR Receivers and I came across Tira, but I have no experience with them. Says it works with Girder, so I'd assume that most remotes would work for it. http://www.home-electro.com/tira2.php

I was going to grab the Ira-3 which is a serial connection instead of the USB(and its cheaper). Does anyone have any experience with these?

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Gromit posted:

I can't think of any good reason to do this. I can't hear the HDD in my HTPC, and it is bigger and cheaper than any SSD.

From reading the Meedios forums, installing Meedios onto a SSD dramatically increased the performance of both the program and the libraries. Is it worth it? Probably not, but there are a few reasons to do it.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Gromit posted:

How lovely is Meedios if you get a noticeable performance increase in a HTPC by putting stuff on SSD? I mean, what "performance" are we talking about here? I would rather spend the money on a faster CPU if that's the issue.

Basically, what the guy above me said. The faster CPU doesn't help it too much for me, but as I said I haven't used the SSD. I think Meedios just isn't optomized very well since there are many developers for it. It's really not that bad though if you minimize the plugins you're using or have enough RAM.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
I know this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find it.

What is the transfer speed required to watch 720p over a network? Mine is stuttering a bit and I use only 10/100 connections. Would upgrading to 10/100/1000 help, or is the problem elsewhere?

Also, is it possible to do the same thing wirelessly?

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Skeesix posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for an HTPC case with very low dimensions? Max Width 20", Max Depth 16"(although hopefully much less deep since there are cables and things to worry about)?

NSK 1480
Antec makes some real nice cases. This fits your specs, I believe.

edit:
Minuet 350
This one fits the bill, as well.

And if you want to save some cash, or don't need a power supply, check the B-Stock they have. Usually the cases are half-off or more because someone opened the box then returned it. I've bought two like that and didn't have more then one or two scratches on either.

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 15, 2009

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
hec SECC 7K09 is 14.5" deep. Look around on newegg, they have a few other cheap cases that are smaller. Computer Cases > Media Center Cases.

Another thought for you would be to get a good looking tower and have it sit next to the stand. Not ideal, I know, but with the right style of case it doesn't look tacky, imo.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

Sid Meier Jr. posted:

Any interesting concepts to replace the classical keyboard and mouse coming down the pipe? Something you can use on the couch.

Concepts such as the ring-mouse http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=ring+mouse&gbv=2

I sit on my couch with my laptop and use VNC to control the HTPC when my remote isn't enough. I've also seen somewhere a program to control the mouse with a remote but can't find it right now. I used to just use an RF wireless mouse/keyboard. There are some that have a trackball in the keyboard which are nice too.

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 17, 2009

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
Anyone use GB-PVR? I'm having troubles installing it. It gets to the end of installation then it backtracks and reverses everything its done.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
It sounds like you have a background process doing something very CPU heavy. Though, on an 8400 I'm not sure what this could be. Virus scans or indexing happening in the background when the stuttering happens?

There is something wrong with the setup, I get 720p playback using an 2180 stutter-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

poemdexter posted:

I've got the same interest in a pc I have lying around. I really just want to be able to record Noggin for my daughter but it's only available through the STB.

What are my options for getting an encrypted channel recorded on my PC? Will just going from STB to PC decode it all and allow me to record and then go from PC to TV let me watch? Will I also be able to watch one channel while recording another? This is all SD by the way.

Hauppauge have been the most reliable tuners. I'm guessing from your post that you have satellite? If that is the case, then you will need a tuner with composite or s-video inputs, which a lot of them do, and a IR Receiver+Blaster. If you have cable, you will just need a tuner with NTSC coax input, ATSC if you want any HD.

You will need some software to record. If you get a copy of Vista Home Premium(or better) or XP MCE 2005, then you can use the built-in Media Center to record and playback. Otherwise, you'll need soemthing like GB-PVR, SageTV, BeyondTV, or Media Portal to do this. Look in the HTPC Front-End thread for more details on those.

If you have satellite and are recording via composite/s-video, no you will not be able to watch another channel on the TV while you are recording, unless you have two STB. If you have cable, you can accomplish this by splitting the coax before the STB.