Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Great thread guys, made a good read over the day.

Whats the general opinion of the DFI RS482 mATX mobo (for use inside an Antec NSK2400 with probably an AMD x2 4200+). As far as I can work out, that spec is going to be fine for SD/HD uses (1080P h264? just for futureproofing), and can always add a separate graphics card in the future. Was also considering an X-Plosion or X-Meridian as I run a nice but old Yamaha Pro-Logic receiver rather than going with the onboard solution.

The only downfall I'm seeing is lack of 3.5" storage.. I could probably afford a 500gb drive when I buy the box, then add a 2nd 1tb drive later on, but I'm a media junkie and this won't last forever. If I needed seriously more data then I'd probably network it up to a box just for HDDs, but this means another case/mobo/cpu etc and obviously more power.. maybe a 5.25" caddied 3.5" solution to add another TB? I was thinking of using one of the 5.25" spaces for an LCD screen anyway (in the future, so probably not worth spending 2x on the Fusion right now just for that) and using a slot loading ext DVD drive next to the TV for a bit of cool factor ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As mentioned previously, you'd be better getting matched pairs RAM wise, so get 2x512mb sticks over the single 1gb for better performance. Also the HDD you could probably get another chunk bigger for not a lot more dollar.. I tend to work out price per gb when buying new drives and grabbing the best value one. I'm UK so I don't know what costs are like your side of the pond, so maybe the 320gb is the best value, I'm looking for a 500 as the jump to 750 is where the value starts to drop. There's always one rule of HDD space - you will run out of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone had this issue with VLC : On my MacBook Pro when I watch .mkv encodes with Dolby Digital soundtracks over the built in speakers, for some reason (possibly phase?) voices are often much louder than music, especially noticable during theme songs. I haven't spotted anything obvious in the preferences to downmix it 'better' to 2.0ch... anyone?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry to blurt out a load of questions in one go, but it was a stressful weekend with all this and my browser is probably under collapse from all the various tabs I have open, which has generally lead me to 100s of pages of discussion with no easy answers.

I've rebuilt my HTPC which I usually just use to double click film/TV on in explorer and play in KMP. Nice enough, but was on XP and now is Win7 and hoping to use XBMC for the majority.

* I've plumped for the new 'Dharma' nightly build from the xbmcsvn.com site... is this generally the best distribution to go with? I had issues with the DX Installer build with regards to the networking (if I enabled the HTTP server, XBMC crashed). It's caused the least headaches so far, so presume it's the one to go with?

* The majority of the skins (Aero, Alaska) seem to prefer using a poster style cover for TV episodes rather than the old banner system (despite the fact the inbuilt scraper seems to grab banners with no option for posters). Is banner style pretty much done now? I have the XBMC iPhone App which is fab, and looks 10000% better with banners than posters, but then XBMC looks like arse with those aforementioned skins and trying to rescale banners into posters.

* Ember MM seems good, even if it insists on putting all those files in my Season folders rather than making it's own folder but I digress.., but seems a lot more finished for Movies than TV right now? I don't mind doing 160 shows by hand at it's incredibly slow pace on my line (UK 10mbit cable) but not if it's going to fight with XBMC constantly. I did the XBMC Connect module , but it doesn't seem to work wonderfully. I've added sources with XBMC and the movies side at least recognises but not the TV. Has that part been finished? Otherwise do I just let it put those files in the folder and disable the TV scraper? If I disable the scraper, how does XBMC know that it's a TV section and puts it in the right menu area?

It's nice to know in the few years I've not really messed about with frontends (I was a big fan of the XBOX version) that nothing has still really become finalised and works correctly out the box! Adds to the fun of it all I guess... Cheers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aha, I forget about those keyboard shortcuts as I tend to use the remote to browse and set things up... if that's the case, I'll let XBMC do the scraping and ensure I back up my TV database once it's done. Is there really much advantage to using an external scraper like Ember? It does seem to grab a lot of info, possibly some things that XBMC misses. More experimentation I guess!

With regards to DX etc... I understand that GL is history, but Dharma is the road to 2.0 am I right? How do the DX and Dharma nightlies tie in to each other? I can see that skin makers have got Dharma builds running as well, is this a more experimental branch or as someone working on a new build should it be the one to go for? Thanks for the response.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cracking, appreciated. I'll weigh one up against the other and see if I can work out why enabling the HTTP browser caused the DX build from the other night to crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone had a problem with their HTPC kicking out a signal that takes their receiver offline? It seems to be getting worse for me. I used to get it every so often (but not regularly) when it was an old NVIDIA card and taking the audio via spdif, both of which were plugged into the receiver, now I have an AMD card that has HDMI out so I use that instead.

XBMC seems to be the biggest offender but I'm not convinced it's the sole culprit. I'll be watching something, hear a big pop out of the speakers then the amp shuts down flashing red powerlight. Doesn't seem to be damaging it, something is obviously tripping but I have no idea why.