Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
In terms of HD programming, assuming I have an HDTV and basic cable, is there any way to get HD content without having to buy a box and pay for a HD subscription, when all I want are just the channels I watch already in HD?

Alternately, can I just buy a HD settop box and get HD content through my existing coax? I really want to see this Sony Grand Wega in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCOTT SMAGO
Aug 10, 2003
Has anybody heard anything new about laser? I remember hearing last year about laser TVs coming out sometime this year and they sounded promising. Apparently, it's a flat-panel unit with CRT picture quality that's 30% less expensive to produce than an LCD.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Is there any reason why I should not get the HANNspree Xv 37" LCD?
http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=204042781&adid=17662

I am not looking for super amazing black levels or really super amazing anything else, I just want something that can work for games and movies and won't have distracting annoying things like a lot of ghosting. This company makes LCD monitors as well (under the name HANNS.G), ALL of which are raved about on newegg, so at least they have a little cred.

Thoughts?

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

ScootsMagoo posted:

Has anybody heard anything new about laser? I remember hearing last year about laser TVs coming out sometime this year and they sounded promising. Apparently, it's a flat-panel unit with CRT picture quality that's 30% less expensive to produce than an LCD.

Sounds like a win-win-win to me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

fudsak posted:

Sounds like a win-win-win to me.

Sounds like "vaporware" to me.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Chemmy posted:

I hear laser tv's are great for playing your Phantom console on :v:

SCOTT SMAGO
Aug 10, 2003

Chemmy posted:

That's what I was afraid of. I remember hearing a bunch of companies signing on to the whole laser technology thing and then dropping out, leaving Mitsubishi and a couple others.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Miko posted:

In terms of HD programming, assuming I have an HDTV and basic cable, is there any way to get HD content without having to buy a box and pay for a HD subscription, when all I want are just the channels I watch already in HD?

Alternately, can I just buy a HD settop box and get HD content through my existing coax? I really want to see this Sony Grand Wega in action.

Just plug the cable into the back of your TV. It probably has a QAM tuner and will receive the typical broadcast channels in HD. All of the HD channels only cost me $5 extra a month, are you really that thrifty? The STB rental fee was included in my cable service anyway. Buying one would cost you hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

I remember hearing something about Sony doing a laser-based SXRD, but I'm not even 100% sure if that's the same technology.

I'm not really getting my hopes up about SED or laser TV's. I really think that advancements in LCD and Plasma will completely overtake them (SED especially), and that by the time they hit the market in any sort of consumer-accessible form there would be little reason to buy one over a proven technology.

Then again, I wouldn't mind being completely wrong, as I think it would be all kinds of awesome to be able to say I have a TV made out of lasers :rock:

CORN NOG fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2007

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Miko posted:

If your TV has built in ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuners, all you need to do is buy a set of rabbit ears and/or plug in the coax line from an antenna. I dont know about your cable.

ScootsMagoo posted:

ilikegrapejuice posted:

I remember hearing something about Sony doing a laser-based SXRD, but I'm not even 100% sure if that's the same technology.

Yes, I have heard Sony is looking into this for their RPTV lines. AFAIK it isn't as thin as flat panel - it's going to replace DLP/SXRD/LCDRP and is accordingly thinner than those existing sets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anyone have anything negative to say about the Samsung LN-S4095D 40" LCD TV.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GDEZLQ/ref=nosim/luby-20

It seems like a really compelling price for a 1080p set.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The only thing I'd say is that you should be sure you need 1080p. There aren't many 1080p sources, and unless you sit real close it won't matter anyways.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

bull3964 posted:

I looked into the 46" version of that Samsung when shopping for my new TV. It has excellent (for an LCD) picture quality, and is more full featured than the TV I ended up buying (It has PIP and a VGA input). I ended up going with a Sharp because I got a really great deal, and that Samsung doesn't handle de-interlacing 1080i inputs as well as the Sharp does.

The world-ending, soul-crushing AVS forums problem associated with that model of Samsung is "Clouding", which is light "cloud" artifacts that appear during a black background.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Chemmy posted:

The only thing I'd say is that you should be sure you need 1080p. There aren't many 1080p sources, and unless you sit real close it won't matter anyways.

Here's my thinking: I have a pretty limited budget, so an expensive TV purchase is a HUGE thing for me. Basically, when I buy my new TV, I don't plan on buying another one for at least half a decade. Therefore, I want one that in 4 years from now, I won't look back and say "boy, I sure wish I had bought a TV with the best technology at the time."

There will always be a better technology coming along, but right now 1080p HDTVs are the cream of the crop, and I don't forsee that technology being replaced anytime soon. Sure there aren't a lot of 1080p sources right now, but think about 2, 3, 4 years from now.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

bull3964 posted:

The only drawback I would say is that you don't need 1080p at that size, and if you want to super future proof technology, it also doesn't have HDMI 1.3. Otherwise, it's all good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

caiman posted:

Here's my thinking: I have a pretty limited budget, so an expensive TV purchase is a HUGE thing for me. Basically, when I buy my new TV, I don't plan on buying another one for at least half a decade. Therefore, I want one that in 4 years from now, I won't look back and say "boy, I sure wish I had bought a TV with the best technology at the time."

If you were buying a 1080p like the Sony XBR2 or XBR3 I'd agree, but if you can only make one purchase I'd buy a high end 720p panel over something midrange but 1080p.

This argument is more towards things like Westinghouse TVs though, that Samsung looks nice, I've seen it in person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Moo Moo Bells posted:

If it is 16:9 widescreen, Amazon becomes stupid for their listing.

Its Amazon, the TV is widescreen. 16:9 video fills the screen completely, 4:3 leaves bars.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moo Moo Bells posted:

The only drawback I would say is that you don't need 1080p at that size, and if you want to super future proof technology, it also doesn't have HDMI 1.3. Otherwise, it's all good.

Yeah. The main reason why I wanted a 1080p model is for the non-stupid native resolution that it supplies. Most of the 720p LCD sets I see have some off the wall native resolution of 1366x768 where the 1080p sets all have a nice 1920x1080.

The newer HDMI standards are only audio improvements, right?

StarFlower
Nov 7, 2000

RIVER OF BLOOD

ilikegrapejuice posted:

I'm not really getting my hopes up about SED or laser TV's. I really think that advancements in LCD and Plasma will completely overtake them (SED especially), and that by the time they hit the market in any sort of consumer-accessible form there would be little reason to buy one over a proven technology.

Then again, I wouldn't mind being completely wrong, as I think it would be all kinds of awesome to be able to say I have a TV made out of lasers :rock:

Laser TV will not happen until 2008 at the very earliest. SED is really the most promising new technology possibility for display at the moment, although that technology will likely not appear until next year either.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yeah. The main reason why I wanted a 1080p model is for the non-stupid native resolution that it supplies. Most of the 720p LCD sets I see have some off the wall native resolution of 1366x768 where the 1080p sets all have a nice 1920x1080.

HDMI 1.3 more than doubles the transfer rate from 4.95gb/s to 10.2gb/s, adds support for up to 48bit color, and xv.YCC color space, an audio/video "lip sync" function for devices doing a lot of signal processing, and support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

http://www.hdmi.org/resourcecenter/index.asp

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.
^^^BLEEEEH

bull3964 posted:

http://www.hdmi.org/resourcecenter/index.asp

It says it has higher processing for colors. I'm not sure how much more that means, but m'eh. I doubt it's something noticeable, but I never got to compare it side-by-side.

Edit: Answer me this, Chemmy. Do televisions have to be specially modified with a new color/picture processor to do the 48 bit color? Or will it be something that comes standard with HDMI 1.3?

That was really awkwardly worded.

Donkey Kunt fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 22, 2007

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Moo Moo Bells posted:

Edit: Answer me this, Chemmy. Do televisions have to be specially modified with a new color/picture processor to do the 48 bit color? Or will it be something that comes standard with HDMI 1.3?

That was really awkwardly worded.

The TV has to support HDMI 1.3 to be able to use up to 48 bit color. I guess a TV could have HDMI 1.3 and downsample colors to previous 24bit levels, so I'd assume you'd want a TV that specifically advertises xv.YCC or xv.COLOR I think Sony is calling it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Perhaps update the 360 related section, because the fall update added the 1080p game support (I think) and 1080p HD-DVD playback (definitely), but only if you use the vga cable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, doesn't it seem a bit overkill to be worrying about 48bit color on an LCD though? I mean, most of the normal models aren't capable of outputting 100% of the NTSC color spectrum as it is. I think the model I'm looking at can do 92%. I doubt we'll see many models that can do 100% or over until LED backlighting becomes common. Furthermore, are there going to be any sources with that much color information in them to begin with?

Or am I misunderstanding a benefit of 48bit color?

Oh well, I'm colorbind anyways.

Meowrat
Jan 19, 2005
wesley snipes is the best damn quarterback this town's ever seen

bull3964 posted:

I have one of these in my room and the picture really is mind blowing. Be aware that some people do have clouding problems on some of their sets during very dark scenes (such as Batman Begins). I've experienced no such problems. All of the next-gen consoles look spectacular on it. The only drawback is the weak sound.

I ordered mine off Amazon as well. No problems at all and about $600 cheaper than if I'd bought it at a brick&mortar store.

Zero Jesus
Oct 26, 2004

Same thing we always do, fight 'em until we can't

ScootsMagoo posted:

Mitsubishi said last year they would have Laser based DLP sets coming to the market link. But they also said they would ship them at Christmas, which hasn't happened yet :(

You might be thinking of SED link. That's the one that supposed to be fantastic and blow your mind, however its also undergoing serious litigation, Canon (yes that Canon) says they'll have sets out in Japan sometime this year, but I'm holding my breath as they were supposed to ship for the 06 Holiday season.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

ail posted:

If your TV has built in ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuners, all you need to do is buy a set of rabbit ears and/or plug in the coax line from an antenna. I dont know about your cable.

Yes, I have heard Sony is looking into this for their RPTV lines. AFAIK it isn't as thin as flat panel - it's going to replace DLP/SXRD/LCDRP and is accordingly thinner than those existing sets.

They could do thin without lazers if they wanted to. This photo was from the January '06 CES:

RCA had a wall mountable version of their Scenium DLP (piece of poo poo-do not buy)on the market two years ago. TV manufacturers want to get away from lamp units that need to be replaced every two years. That's why they're interested in lazer or LED based rear projection sets. Samsung has a 56" LED DLP on the market right now but it isn't as bright as the lamp based sets so the viewing angle is a little disappointing.

Meowrat posted:

I have one of these in my room and the picture really is mind blowing. Be aware that some people do have clouding problems on some of their sets during very dark scenes (such as Batman Begins). I've experienced no such problems. All of the next-gen consoles look spectacular on it. The only drawback is the weak sound.

Sony and Samsung use the same panels for their LCDs so the clouding issue affects both brands. It's not as prevalent as the AVS Forum (they have an absurd amount of trolls and industry plants stirring up poo poo) makes it seem but it is a problem. On the plus side you'll see it right away while you're still within the return period. It won't sneak up on you like the green blob issue did on the XBR1 SXRDs. :(

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Thanks to Lowtax and Radium, megathreads aren't limited to 1000 posts anymore.

THIS THREAD WILL LIVE FOREVER. :zombie:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

What's so stupid about it? True, the set will have to scale the image, but any good screen will have a good scaler and you won't even notice

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WhyteRyce posted:

What's so stupid about it? True, the set will have to scale the image, but any good screen will have a good scaler and you won't even notice

I don't know. I'm sure it's an irrational nitpick, but I don't like how everyone seems to have different resolutions for 720p sets (hell some plasmas are 1024x768 with odd shaped pixels) while 1080p sets always seems to be the same 1920x1080.

That consistency gives me comfort for some reason. It's not really founded in any fact I'll admit.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

WhyteRyce posted:

Because 1080p will be extremely prevalent in a few years, and having a TV that doesn't need to scale anything at all means less lag and a sharper picture (assuming the TV does not have non-defeatable scaling, which is lame as hell and I wish it would die).

No scaling at all is preferable to scaling, even really good scaling.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Keisuke posted:

Perhaps update the 360 related section, because the fall update added the 1080p game support (I think) and 1080p HD-DVD playback (definitely), but only if you use the vga cable.

Someone help me out with this because I think I'm retarded. Is the "Component HD AV Cable" that came with my 360 the same thing as the vga cable?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

XCPuff posted:

Someone help me out with this because I think I'm retarded. Is the "Component HD AV Cable" that came with my 360 the same thing as the vga cable?

No.

Component HD AV cable = YPbPr/YCbCr component video. Three plugs, green (y) red (Pr) blue (Pb)

VGA cable: terminates in a 15-pin VGA connection, like a computer monitor.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

King Hotpants posted:

No.

Component HD AV cable = YPbPr/YCbCr component video. Three plugs, green (y) red (Pr) blue (Pb)

VGA cable: terminates in a 15-pin VGA connection, like a computer monitor.

Damnit. We'll more money being wasted.

Thankyou kind sir.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I got it two weeks ago at Circuit City for $1550. I love it.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Scrambles posted:

Is there any reason why I should not get the HANNspree Xv 37" LCD?
http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=204042781&adid=17662

I am not looking for super amazing black levels or really super amazing anything else, I just want something that can work for games and movies and won't have distracting annoying things like a lot of ghosting. This company makes LCD monitors as well (under the name HANNS.G), ALL of which are raved about on newegg, so at least they have a little cred.

Thoughts?

Anyone? It seems pretty rad for a budget tv, right?

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

Scrambles posted:

Anyone? It seems pretty rad for a budget tv, right?

I have never heard or seen that brand of television.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Moo Moo Bells posted:

I have never heard or seen that brand of television.

research {

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=hanns.g&x=0&y=0

That is their lcd computer monitor brand, and, like I said, every single product they have on newegg is rated extremely highly. If the panel is good value, I don't really care about anything else besides inputs, and this tv has plenty for my needs. They have been in the lcd tv world for quite some time, but the 37" I linked and its sister 32" are their first mainstream, affordable sets.

}

Every review that I can find for any of this company's products is excellent, and I am just afraid it is a "too good to be true" situation for a nice-looking 37" lcd at this price point.

unorthodoxender
Aug 20, 2004
Ninja do backflippu
I've been looking at buying an HDTV fo when I graduate and I've been looking at the 46" Sony XBR-2. I've done a lot of comparison with other models (Samsing, JVC and Panasonic) and In my opinion, the XBR is one of the best (and priciest) HDTV's on the market. what do you tech-savvy goons think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

unorthodoxender posted:

I've been looking at buying an HDTV fo when I graduate and I've been looking at the 46" Sony XBR-2. I've done a lot of comparison with other models (Samsing, JVC and Panasonic) and In my opinion, the XBR is one of the best (and priciest) HDTV's on the market. what do you tech-savvy goons think?

Sony makes high quality sets and the price reflects that. I doubt you'll be disappointed except with your bill.

• Locked thread