Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
I strongly suspect I already know the answer to this, but would pulling the trigger on this be the worst mistake I could make?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-42-Class-LCD-1080p-60Hz-HDTV-X425BV-FHD/16878627

We are not in any way AV snobs - we will be watching Netflix through our Roku, playing a few video games, and that's pretty much it. Right now we are still watching a well-aged 26" tube TV, so it's really not like the situation could get worse.

Basically I'm looking to spend as little as possible on a TV in the 37-42 inch range. I don't need fancy features, I don't need the absolute best picture. I just need something that will be bigger and better than what I've got right now, and preferably be able to make it at least 3 years before crapping out on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I don't know much about Sceptre, other than they've been around quite a while and haven't heard anything really damning. Probably a decent no-frills unit like a TCL.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I don't know much about Sceptre, other than they've been around quite a while and haven't heard anything really damning. Probably a decent no-frills unit like a TCL.

That would be better news than I was expecting, honestly. I wanted to stay away from the very bottom of the barrel (like Coby, from what I've heard) but a step above the bottom would be OK by me. I'll scout around and see if I can find anything better, but if Sceptre's not absolutely awful then I might have to go for it.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."
To all of those people who picked up the TCL 42" on black friday: Is there a place I can find recommended settings? The colors look a bit weird to me, but after changing a couple options I think it's just getting worse.

Pureone
Nov 6, 2008

kernel panic posted:

I strongly suspect I already know the answer to this, but would pulling the trigger on this be the worst mistake I could make?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-42-Class-LCD-1080p-60Hz-HDTV-X425BV-FHD/16878627

We are not in any way AV snobs - we will be watching Netflix through our Roku, playing a few video games, and that's pretty much it. Right now we are still watching a well-aged 26" tube TV, so it's really not like the situation could get worse.

Basically I'm looking to spend as little as possible on a TV in the 37-42 inch range. I don't need fancy features, I don't need the absolute best picture. I just need something that will be bigger and better than what I've got right now, and preferably be able to make it at least 3 years before crapping out on me.

I'm glad you linked that TV. I'm didn't think there was a chance to get a decent 42" for $300 and I was going to settle for a similar priced TV that is 10" smaller. Definitely going to look into Sceptre a bit more and make a decision soon.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The OP is brutally out of date and I'm looking for a TV. There are tons of them.

How do I know which brands are poo poo? Does the refresh rate matter for non 3D uses? I don't watch a huge amount of TV but I want one to hook up to my Apple TV and mac mini for web streaming and movies. So basically I want something in the 40" range that is good value. Probably around $500. Is there a go-to great value TV in that range?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm gonna set up a new OP right now. It's been bothering me for a while.

For the sub-$500 range, I'd look at Vizio, or LG. Samsung E550 LCD if you can swing it. They'll have affordable and good, if not spectacular quality at that price range.

THE NEW HDTV THREAD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 9, 2013

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I've been out of the TV market for a little bit. I've noticed that the prices have come down quite a bit. I missed this TV for $547 just recently.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0077E493G/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

Anyone have any experience with that TV?

Any recommendations for best current TV's for the value?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
So as I had posted a month or so ago, I was waffling between a couple TVs, and ended up getting a very good deal through a friend on the LG, 60LM7200. http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60LM7200-led-tv

The thing is fantastic. The picture is perfect, and the smart options are cool. Not invasive, and connects well with my other home stuff. I've watched videos and looked at pictures on it from my phone and my computer, it automatically recognizes and asks if I want to switch when I turn on my PS3, it does updates on its own, and so on. The thing is a great TV, and the picture, IMO, is as good as the 8000 line from the Samsungs, and I got it for about $1000 less than the absolute cheapest price I could find a new Samsung for. Awesome TV, and for the price of a lot of plasmas in its range, I think its a great buy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have opinions on the sony HX850 bravias? I saw these during a recent trip to a A/V store and was really impressed by the black levels on it for an LED/LCD. I like how it is one continuous plane of (gorilla) glass on the front too.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I stopped by Best Buy today so I could check out some tvs in person, and I'm pretty sure I need an 80" sharp quattron now.

Standing in the store, with all the tvs lined up next to each other, 60" doesn't even feel that big. Then I turned a corner and bam, 80" of awesome. Too bad it's like $5000. I think I'll stick with my $800 budget.

I'm pretty convinced to get a 60" though instead of saving on a 55 or 50.

Image quality was hard to tell between some models. The super bright Sharp LED in the bright store next to the Panasonic plasma makes the plasma look dull as poo poo, but like they say the stores don't really set them up right and it's not really an accurate representation of the actual quality. I'd be watching in a relatively dark room. The reflectiveness of the glass on plasma vs led was pretty apparent though.

Viera UT60 plasma upper left. Note the 80" poking in from the right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This is why we tell people to go to the ST from the UT. The UT doesn't have the louvered anti-glare filter of the ST.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

bull3964 posted:

This is why we tell people to go to the ST from the UT. The UT doesn't have the louvered anti-glare filter of the ST.

Sure, but if you're actually looking at the U60 (they didn't have one on display), then I could buy two of those for the price of an ST. Of course, you're getting more features (smart, 3D, etc) as well.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Speaking of Panasonic plasmas, I just got a U50. Is there any way to goose the brightness and still keep a solid image?

The Cinema setting looks great, but comes off as dim even in a darkened room. I'm actually finding the Game setting has the best balance to my eye for most content.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am looking for a bedroom tv that will be plugged into a cable line directly (no cable box) and a DVD player..

I am looking for a tv at least 24inchs, maybe a tad bit bigger (since my PC monitor is 24inches) and trying to stay under $200.. It doesn't need any bells and whistles..

What would be my best bet?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fyallm posted:

I am looking for a bedroom tv that will be plugged into a cable line directly (no cable box) and a DVD player..

I am looking for a tv at least 24inchs, maybe a tad bit bigger (since my PC monitor is 24inches) and trying to stay under $200.. It doesn't need any bells and whistles..

If you are in the US, keep in mind that plugging the cable line directly into the tv will probably become a thing of the past this year as cable companies are allowed to encrypt local channels now. So make sure you get enough hdmi ports to plan for that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fyallm posted:

I'd keep an eye open (especially this week) for deals on 32" units at or under $199.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My parents have been looking for a television for a number of weeks now, and have decided this, 60" Sharp LED, is what they are looking for.

http://www.sears.com/sharp-60inch-aquos-174-led-smart-tv-lc60le640u/p-05771342000P?prdNo=1#ReviewsSection

They didn't really want a Plasma television, and plan to keep this set in the living room. It's well lit during the day as there are no curtains in use.

Reading some of the reviews on the website, I was bit weirded-out by the "It looks LIKE a 3D TV!", but I guess they're just pleased with how the picture looks?

Looking around the internet, most impressions are positive, but I wonder how the well-lit room will effect them? Does this look like a good LED purchase?

edit: Submitted, before I could finish like a dummy!

There is also a Vizio E-Series 60" for $899.99 at Best Buy that has similar specs as the Sharp: smart features and 120hz, 1080p. Both will be LED televisions, but there is that price difference.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 1, 2013

snolliemonsters
Dec 25, 2007
I'm looking into buying my first hdtv. Only problem is in my apartment I have only one place to put it on top of a unused fireplace. I can't drill in the wall because there is a chimney behind it.
The standing surface is only 22cm and most 40inch tv's which i want are from 24 - 30 cm. My question is do you guys think it would matter if the stand overlapse a bit?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

snolliemonsters posted:

I'm looking into buying my first hdtv. Only problem is in my apartment I have only one place to put it on top of a unused fireplace. I can't drill in the wall because there is a chimney behind it.
The standing surface is only 22cm and most 40inch tv's which i want are from 24 - 30 cm. My question is do you guys think it would matter if the stand overlapse a bit?

It should be okay, new TVs are pretty light so where you probably don't want screw deep into the wall, you could probably get away with a short hole with a mounting plug and one of those strips that you can get to make sure that the TV doesn't fall forwards for any reason.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002SPMVQQ

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I have a VIZIO E601i-A3 LED and have a problem I haven't been able to figure out how to fix. When channel logos are on the screen (the Fox or HBO or whatever in the bottom right) or text like subtitles or credits, they flicker. I dunno if that's the right word for it, but they shake vertically. Like are changing between 2 font sizes one just a little bigger than the other. Nothing else, just those. Either I'm not googling the right phrase or this isn't a common problem. Anyone know what's up?

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I have a VIZIO E601i-A3 LED and have a problem I haven't been able to figure out how to fix. When channel logos are on the screen (the Fox or HBO or whatever in the bottom right) or text like subtitles or credits, they flicker. I dunno if that's the right word for it, but they shake vertically. Like are changing between 2 font sizes one just a little bigger than the other. Nothing else, just those. Either I'm not googling the right phrase or this isn't a common problem. Anyone know what's up?

Does dropping the sharpness reduce the effect?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Nope. I finally found some guy that had the same problem googling, but he has a different tv and fixed it by turning "automotion" off. I don't know what that is, my tv doesn't have that option. I put noise reduction to high (from off) and it stopped 90% of the flickering, so I guess I'm gonna have to be happy with that.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Nope. I finally found some guy that had the same problem googling, but he has a different tv and fixed it by turning "automotion" off. I don't know what that is, my tv doesn't have that option. I put noise reduction to high (from off) and it stopped 90% of the flickering, so I guess I'm gonna have to be happy with that.

I think it's called "Smooth Motion" on Vizios.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I've had that off cause that's what I read caused that soap opera like effect that I hate. So I turned it on (low) and it fixed the problem completely.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I have a GT50 and when Im watching a show on netflix and a lady has a red dress or really anything red it almost looks like the color red is floating around and moving. Like it is shaking. Anyone know if there is a setting to fix this?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fyallm posted:

I have a GT50 and when Im watching a show on netflix and a lady has a red dress or really anything red it almost looks like the color red is floating around and moving. Like it is shaking. Anyone know if there is a setting to fix this?

I don't know ( I have a GT50 and haven't noticed this, so I hope it means its a setting you have off or on that I just don't have on or off...)

But you reminded me that I have always noticed that the color red acts Funny on every set I have ever laid eyes on. It's almost like you can see the pixel-rows when bright red is displayed, say, in a logo or a graphic.

Wonder why that is....

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sounds like you may have contrast set too high. Red tends to bloom on high contrast.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I am dumb about this stuff but I have noticed jagged edges on red stuff too. Specifically Netflix and dowmloadable/streamable "HD" (where the the dimensions are "HD" but the bitrate is low), so I have always attributed it to something in the compression.

e: vv exactly, I should have noted it's not there on the same TV when watching Bluray movies. You heard it here, nerds: a 50 GB 1080p BRD encode gives you a better movie than your downloadable/satellite 5 GB 1080p encode.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 4, 2013

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

uwaeve posted:

I am dumb about this stuff but I have noticed jagged edges on red stuff too. Specifically Netflix and dowmloadable/streamable "HD" (where the the dimensions are "HD" but the bitrate is low), so I have always attributed it to something in the compression.

Yeah I don't think I have noticed it while watching like Blu-Ray's but mainly on youtube videos in HD or streaming HD on netflix, so maybe it is something in the compression!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
CNET did their review of Panasonic's ST60, calling it their "strongest TV recommendation ever." Not that I was too worried, but itmakes me a lot more at ease for pre-ordering one.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p60st60/4505-6482_7-35566952.html

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Wasn't sure where to post for help on this, but here goes:

I can't get a signal from my Wii with component cables. If I correctly plug them in corresponding to color, there's nothing. If I just put in the green input, I get a 4:3 black and white picture. Online guides recommend using that to set your Wii resolution to HDTV, but that just gives me 2 compressed side-by-side greyscale pictures.

The weird thing is that I used a Wii on this tv for a long time before disconnecting it for awhile and now I can't remember if there was strange black magic I used to in the past for it to work.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
try using the other input spot? looks like the one you're using doubles as a composite input and it may not be switching correctly, or there might even be an option in the menu to switch

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
...I could have sworn that I'd already tried on each row and combinations thereof, but that worked! Thanks a lot!

noface
Jun 19, 2002

Learned the hard way that a TV (or really any display) that is an actual 120Hz display cannot be used at that refresh rate as a monitor when your signal is carried over HDMI or DVI-D (I think possibly dual link DVI-D too?), and has to be a Display Port connection (for 1080p signals at least).

Had purchased the Dell u3011 about a month ago but decided I wanted 120Hz, a bigger screen, and a lower resolution (1080p versus 2560x1600) since I didn't want to commit to such beastly GPUs, and ended up purchasing the Panasonic TC-L39EM60, which I believe just came out. The picture is very nice, but the input lag seems kind of horrible which kills it as a monitor (mouse lag is noticeable, which I'm sure I can't handle). So that's getting returned as well.

Anyone have good recommendations on TVs that have low input lag and work well as monitors? Looking anywhere from 30 to 42 inches, would like an established brand (Panasonic/Samsung/LG/Sony/Toshiba), and 1080p. Native 120Hz would be nice but I have a feeling there aren't going to be many TVs with Display Ports.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I couldn't find a thread to fit this subject so let me try in here. I am thinking of dropping Comcast TV for Direct TV while keeping Comcast Internet. I have two questions:

- What is the goon vibe on the Genie (I am going to do Genie plus 3 mini Genies)? Is the HD Streaming smooth? Reviews look great, but some of these comments (which I shouldn't read) have my slightly worried.

- How does Direct TV handle doing an install if I have to keep using RG-6 coax for my cable internet? I would rather them run a new line for my internet and take over the current RG-6 for Direct TV (a lot less work).

Comcast is going to charge me $69.95+tax to keep Ultra Internet (which is outrageous), but I should save at least $2500 in the next 3 years by switching my TV (and getting rid of TIVO).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I only had one RG-6 drop inside my house so I had to switch from Comcast internet to U-Verse.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chemmy posted:

I only had one RG-6 drop inside my house so I had to switch from Comcast internet to U-Verse.

From what Direct TV told me the installer will run another RG-6 just for Direct TV, and they will not touch my Comcast stuff. I asked about cost, but they gave some bullshit about I will have an VIP install which means free custom install.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Chemmy posted:

I've got Dish TV that uses the cable drop that goes to all the bedrooms, so when I had Comcast come out to install internet they brought an additional drop in, just a single line to the router. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I've had a Dynex DX-32L130A10 for about three and a half years now, and earlier tonight it randomly made this loud popping noise then shut itself off. I turned it back on immediately and it appears to be fine, but then I unplugged it, left it for a few minutes, then dusted out the inside of it as best I could. Any idea if the problem is just overheating, or is the TV dying (which I suspect is the case)?

• Locked thread