Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Stickied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Thanks to Lowtax and Radium, megathreads aren't limited to 1000 posts anymore.

THIS THREAD WILL LIVE FOREVER. :zombie:

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

WhyteRyce posted:

What's so stupid about it? True, the set will have to scale the image, but any good screen will have a good scaler and you won't even notice

Because 1080p will be extremely prevalent in a few years, and having a TV that doesn't need to scale anything at all means less lag and a sharper picture (assuming the TV does not have non-defeatable scaling, which is lame as hell and I wish it would die).

No scaling at all is preferable to scaling, even really good scaling.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

XCPuff posted:

Someone help me out with this because I think I'm retarded. Is the "Component HD AV Cable" that came with my 360 the same thing as the vga cable?

No.

Component HD AV cable = YPbPr/YCbCr component video. Three plugs, green (y) red (Pr) blue (Pb)

VGA cable: terminates in a 15-pin VGA connection, like a computer monitor.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Jaketeck posted:

So whats all this about not being able to tell 720p from 1080p on a 40 inch set? Is it simply the content your viewing lacks the detail?

No, it's because from a reasonable viewing distance, your eyes won't be able to see the difference. There will still be more detail, it'll just be lost on you.

To put it this way, I work with projectors all day, and it's easy to tell 720p from 1080p projectors up to about 2x the screen width -- if I'm sitting farther than that, it gets dfficult, at times. Now, think about how far you're sitting from your TV.

Jackhammer Rape posted:

when i turn the PS3 on there's a burst of what sounds like static/crackling before the display kicks in.

That's a delay because the two devices are HDCP syncing. It's nothing to worry about.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Specs often have very little relation to reality, and there's no way to tell how accurate the spec is without putting a meter on it. It differs by model, by manufacturer, and sometimes by individual set due to manufacturing variances. There's really no way to know for sure.

Sorry. :(

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Moo Moo Bells posted:

LYCoS

LCoS. Liquid Crystal on Silicon. Not that stupid website.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
After I got my 100" screen my boss felt the need to go out and get a 120".

Dick.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

isotope4 posted:

My dad was looking at this but it looks as though that doesn't have true 1080p resolution (no 1080p HDMI input).

It has two HDMI inputs, what's the problem?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

isotope4 posted:

From what I've read the HDMI inputs are not in 1080p, only the coaxial input is, plus the other set looks nicer in general.

If that's true it would be the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Chemmy posted:

:confused:

It'll do 1080i as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I updated the thread name to more accurately reflect its somewhat more permanent status.

• Locked thread