Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Dudarino
Aug 1, 2006
I hope this hasn't been done, I looked for one and didn't see it, if there is one, please close this and direct me to the topic.

Post all your song identification requests here, hopefully we can get people to identify them.

I'll start it off, I heard this song on tv, it was pop/punkish with a lot of distortion on the main riff, and high-pitched lyrics that were drat near incomprehensible to me.

The only way I can possibly describe this song is through its main riff, if it were transcribed into words it would be: "dah dah dahdahdahdaaah duntsknahnahnahnah" the song also began with an "five six seven eight!" or something similar.

I'm not sure why I have the song stuck in my head, but now I must find it. Goons, please save my brain.

mod edit: you can use http://vocaroo.com/ to hum or sing a melody to help people identify the song

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Lumpage
Sep 28, 2004

by elpintogrande
My brain needs saving, too:

My request came to me on an old snowboarding video soundtrack - I forget the name of the video (Maybe Mad Dog something? A 10 year old Shawn White was in it).

It was the first track, right before a Good Riddance track (of which I forget the name too), or maybe it was right after Good Riddance.

The soundtrack also had the song "Courtney Love" by Nerf Herder.

THe only thing I remember about this song, besides it being awesome, are the lryics to the chorus - "I'm full of pills and smoke and booze and emptiness"

If anybody could help me it would be AWESOME.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gross Lumpage posted:

My brain needs saving, too:

My request came to me on an old snowboarding video soundtrack - I forget the name of the video (Maybe Mad Dog something? A 10 year old Shawn White was in it).

It was the first track, right before a Good Riddance track (of which I forget the name too), or maybe it was right after Good Riddance.

The soundtrack also had the song "Courtney Love" by Nerf Herder.

THe only thing I remember about this song, besides it being awesome, are the lryics to the chorus - "I'm full of pills and smoke and booze and emptiness"

If anybody could help me it would be AWESOME.
$wingin Utter$ - Pills & Smoke

Gross Lumpage
Sep 28, 2004

by elpintogrande

Pablo Gigante posted:

$wingin Utter$ - Pills & Smoke

Thanks so much. I had tried searching Pills AND Smoke to no avail, but you just made my day.

ilmmaf
Jul 31, 2006

the softest slur
In the movie "The Holiday", a song plays while Kate Winslet gets out of bed while she is staying in Cameron Diaz's house, about halfway through the film. As she wakes up, she pushes Cameron's cd player and a loud rock song with what I can remember to be the first words as "Wake up!" and then a rock riff. I looked at the soundtrack for the cd and got nothing, and want to set this as my own wakeup alarm. Halp!

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma
What's the song from the Panasonic Toughbook commercial? I've heard it a lot, and I know that it's some sort of well-known classic rock anthem, but I don't know what it is or who performed it.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

ilmmaf posted:

In the movie "The Holiday", a song plays while Kate Winslet gets out of bed while she is staying in Cameron Diaz's house, about halfway through the film. As she wakes up, she pushes Cameron's cd player and a loud rock song with what I can remember to be the first words as "Wake up!" and then a rock riff. I looked at the soundtrack for the cd and got nothing, and want to set this as my own wakeup alarm. Halp!

System of a Down - Chop Suey? It's the only song I can think of with wake up as the first line.

Regular_John
Sep 22, 2006

Where da fuck da cocktail mang?

uh oh pancho! posted:

System of a Down - Chop Suey? It's the only song I can think of with wake up as the first line.

Rage Against the Machine - Wake up maybe, most likely system though

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

About 12-13 years ago I heard a techno song that sampled Piero Umiliani's "Mah Na Mah Na" quite heavily. Anyone know what it could be?

Angry Weatherman
Jun 8, 2006

by Fistgrrl
What's that song by Morrissey/The Smiths with the lyrics, "I will be in the bar / with my head on the bar," this is driving me crazy.

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007

Angry Weatherman posted:

What's that song by Morrissey/The Smiths with the lyrics, "I will be in the bar / with my head on the bar," this is driving me crazy.

Vauxhall and I. It's a solo Morrissey tune.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
i've heard it on the radio, its a metal sound to it, heavy. and i only know one line of it "I tried to save your life, but (screaming)" any help?

blueoxide
Feb 14, 2007

WHAT did you say about my superior vena cava? Care to say that to my face, punk?
I heard a cover of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" at a Chipotle the other day. It seemed to be a bit slower and a lot darker, it had an almost haunting feel to it. It was really good and I have been looking all over for it but can't even find who it could be by. Please help.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

blueoxide posted:

I heard a cover of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" at a Chipotle the other day. It seemed to be a bit slower and a lot darker, it had an almost haunting feel to it. It was really good and I have been looking all over for it but can't even find who it could be by. Please help.

BMI lists the following as having recorded it, besides Johnny Cash himself: Hoyt Axton, David Allan Coe, Ray Conniff, Little Jimmy Dempsey, Shelby Lynne, Carl Perkins, Bill Purcell, the Ray Conniff Singers.

And Wiki says this: "In 2006 Levi Strauss & Co. created three advertisements using the song, featuring cover versions by Megan Wyler and Adem Ilhan."

Dunno if this helps, but I tried. :)

blueoxide
Feb 14, 2007

WHAT did you say about my superior vena cava? Care to say that to my face, punk?

Sweetwater Kill posted:

BMI lists the following as having recorded it, besides Johnny Cash himself: Hoyt Axton, David Allan Coe, Ray Conniff, Little Jimmy Dempsey, Shelby Lynne, Carl Perkins, Bill Purcell, the Ray Conniff Singers.

And Wiki says this: "In 2006 Levi Strauss & Co. created three advertisements using the song, featuring cover versions by Megan Wyler and Adem Ilhan."

Dunno if this helps, but I tried. :)

I appreciate that, thank you!
What is BMI? Sounds like I would probably use whatever it is ALOT.

Thanks again!

Reverend Werewolf
Aug 14, 2004
I got a fevah
This was a punkish song that was used in commercials around about last Christmas time. The vocals were quite harsh, and went something like:

"You You You lost the plot, lost the plot"

any ideas?

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

blueoxide posted:

I appreciate that, thank you!
What is BMI? Sounds like I would probably use whatever it is ALOT.

Thanks again!

http://www.bmi.com/
http://www.ascap.com/index.html
http://www.sesac.com/index.aspx?flash=1
http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

In the liner notes, after the credits for whoever wrote the song, it should say the performing rights organisation they're a part of. For example, grabbing the nearest CD to me (which is Tori Amos' Strange Little Girls), the first credit says "New Age written by Lou Reed, published by Screen Gems EMI Ltd. (BMI)"

If you don't have liner notes, just go through and stick the person's name in all of 'em if you have to. As a kid I wondered what those acronyms I always saw in liner notes meant, and after looking them up, I realised I could see huge lists of songs that artists had written, which I found amazing for some reason. :)

Incidentally, as noted -- Johnny Cash's songwriting was through BMI, at least for that particular song.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I heard this great 80's pop tune on the radio the other day but have no idea what it called or who it's by. It could possibly be a german band as I was in germany when i heard this on the radio but the lyrics were in english. A female singer repeated the line "Forget me not" a bunch of times but i have searched every song with that title and couldn't find it. There was a simple drum beat and cool plastic sounding guitar riff and some synths. There was also a guitar solo. please help me as I can't get this great song out of my head.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 3, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fighting Elegy posted:

I heard this great 80's pop tune on the radio the other day but have no idea what it called or who it's by. It could possibly be a german band as I was in germany when i heard this on the radio but the lyrics were in english. A female singer repeated the line "Forget me not" a bunch of times but i have searched every song with that title and couldn't find it. There was a simple drum beat and cool plastic sounding guitar riff and some synths. There was also a guitar solo. please help me as I can't get this great song out of my head.

If it's not "Forget Me Nots" by Patrice Rushen, it's probably a sample of it.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

If it's not "Forget Me Nots" by Patrice Rushen, it's probably a sample of it.

No it wasn't this, this song was alot less funky and more of a new wavey sort of synth pop tune.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Ok, I need help finding a song. I know it is an oldies type song, I only hear it on my local oldies radio station, I'm guessing 30's to 50's somewhere. I don't know the artist or title, just some of the lyrics. Part of it goes "Saturday night and I ain't got nobody, I got some money cause I just got paid. Oh how I wish I had some chick to talk to, in an awful way"

I keep hearing this about once a day on the radio at my work, and I really want to know who performs it and the song's name. Thanks.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

themachine posted:

Ok, I need help finding a song. I know it is an oldies type song, I only hear it on my local oldies radio station, I'm guessing 30's to 50's somewhere. I don't know the artist or title, just some of the lyrics. Part of it goes "Saturday night and I ain't got nobody, I got some money cause I just got paid. Oh how I wish I had some chick to talk to, in an awful way"

I keep hearing this about once a day on the radio at my work, and I really want to know who performs it and the song's name. Thanks.

This is Another Saturday Night by Sam Cooke. Cat Stevens covered it, too, in the 70s.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Angry Weatherman posted:

"The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get" off the album Vauxhall & I.

Silence Kit
Aug 4, 2006

by Fragmaster
The MP3 of this song says it's "Eggshells" by "The Grateful Dead" off the album "Plastic By Nature". But there is no grateful dead album titled Plastic By Nature (atleast that i can find). There are also no songs by grateful dead called Eggshells (Atleast that i can find).

Heres the lyrics:

quote:

Gazing out my window
I can see the snow below
And it flows in to my soul
From the eggshell of my mind

I found a way
I could never keep my boat
through these troubled waters
to the shores of Shangri-La

eggshells, eggshells
help me seperate my yellows from my whites

standing in the phone booth
just waiting for your call
but I dont know who it is or where they are

biding my time in the heart of the purple city
these bright lights shining in my eyes

eggshells, eggshells
help me seperate my yellows from my whites

I found the lyrics at these two links:
http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=11171593&postID=112925168409278437

and on a myspace here

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...0C66FE612543841

Can someone tell me who the songs by and if possible what album it's on?

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I heard this song on a college radio station. It's indie pop-ish and features male vocals at first, followed by female vocals for the rest of the song. The DJ mentioned Jack Nitzsche, I googled him and apparently he was a producer in the 60s. So I'm guessing this was a 60s group... Unless the DJ was talking about the previous song in regards to Jack Nitzsche?? I hope not. The only lyric I remember was the girl singing about getting a job working as an accountant. Very Belle & Sebastian sounding, but probably an actual 60s pop group that influenced B&S. Thanks :shobon:

edit: wait duh, I volunteer at the station, maybe I'll just look through the playlists.

Charleston Jew fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 6, 2007

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

I am not a big country listener at all, but earlier today I was listening to a top 40 country type of station, and I heard one sappy sort of song talking about the little moments he spends with his wife and how it's all the little things she does that amazes him, and she doesn't even realize it. One part I remember is the wife was baking a birthday cake and burned it. It was very sweet song and I'd really like to hear it again :3:

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Here's one that has been bugging me for years now. Back in late 1999, early 2000 I used to hear a song on an alternative radio station every time I made the 2 1/2 hour drive back and forth from college to my parents house. I've never heard the song anywhere else, only on that one radio station, so it probably wasn't a huge hit or anything. The only thing I somewhat clearly remember about the song at this point is that the lyrics included something like "satellites of fire" or "fire satellites".

Obviously not a lot to go on, but again: 1999/2000-ish, male singer, played on an alternative radio station, lyrics about fire satellites(?).

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Charleston Jew posted:

I heard this song on a college radio station. It's indie pop-ish and features male vocals at first, followed by female vocals for the rest of the song. The DJ mentioned Jack Nitzsche, I googled him and apparently he was a producer in the 60s. So I'm guessing this was a 60s group... Unless the DJ was talking about the previous song in regards to Jack Nitzsche?? I hope not. The only lyric I remember was the girl singing about getting a job working as an accountant. Very Belle & Sebastian sounding, but probably an actual 60s pop group that influenced B&S. Thanks :shobon:

edit: wait duh, I volunteer at the station, maybe I'll just look through the playlists.
You might have already checked the playlist, but Jack Nitzsche is on the Death Proof soundtrack which just hit rotation. Maybe your song is on there, or maybe he was just talking about the soundtrack.

Or e-mail the DJ. Why not? We like e-mails.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

bobthenameless posted:

I am not a big country listener at all, but earlier today I was listening to a top 40 country type of station, and I heard one sappy sort of song talking about the little moments he spends with his wife and how it's all the little things she does that amazes him, and she doesn't even realize it. One part I remember is the wife was baking a birthday cake and burned it. It was very sweet song and I'd really like to hear it again :3:

Little Moments by Brad Paisley. :)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I haven't heard this song in about 7 years, but it was playing on the crap-pop channel in Blimpie. There was a male vocalist, folksy instrumentals, and a line about "and they walked on down the road" or some-such in the chorus, but that can't be quite right because that quote doesn't help me in Google.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Sweetwater Kill posted:

Little Moments by Brad Paisley. :)

Hey thanks :)

Talkie Walkie
Nov 1, 2004
I think the song I'm looking for is from the 70s. It's very funk-ish, may have appeared in some blaxploitation films from the era.

It was featured in the Youtube video "Vader Sessions" beginning at about 3:20, where Vader is going to interrogate Leia.

Link to "Vader Sessions": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0rwG39Jzk

It's also featured at the end of "Who Needs Enemies?" by The Cooper Temple Clause. What's it called?

And while I'm at it, if anyone wants to take another look at the Vader Sessions video -- what's the song at about 6:52?

BukkakePocky
Nov 1, 2006

by Lowtax
drat. This thread can't help me with mine because the only part I know is instrumental. I know it's part of a commercial. Maybe Wendy's or some other fast food chain.

It's kind of a little riff on guitar, maybe acoustic, I don't remember, and then it pauses for 2 sets of 2 hits on the snare. I know that the guitar part reminds me off the bass line from "Break on Through" by The Doors.

The problem is, I don't care so much as what the song's name is as much as where I know it from, from BEFORE the commercial. But I certainly wouldn't mind the name if ANYBODY has a guess.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

BukkakePocky posted:

drat. This thread can't help me with mine because the only part I know is instrumental. I know it's part of a commercial. Maybe Wendy's or some other fast food chain.

It's kind of a little riff on guitar, maybe acoustic, I don't remember, and then it pauses for 2 sets of 2 hits on the snare. I know that the guitar part reminds me off the bass line from "Break on Through" by The Doors.

The problem is, I don't care so much as what the song's name is as much as where I know it from, from BEFORE the commercial. But I certainly wouldn't mind the name if ANYBODY has a guess.
It's probably Wendy's, it's "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes

Sexy Pants posted:

You might have already checked the playlist, but Jack Nitzsche is on the Death Proof soundtrack which just hit rotation. Maybe your song is on there, or maybe he was just talking about the soundtrack.

Or e-mail the DJ. Why not? We like e-mails.
I would, but there's no permanent DJ for that slot so I don't know who it is. I'll figure it out eventually, though.

BukkakePocky
Nov 1, 2006

by Lowtax

Charleston Jew posted:

It's probably Wendy's, it's "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes

Thank you. I haven't even looked it up to be sure, and I know it's right. I'm 75% sure a friend (I know which one, too) told me to look it up.

You've answered all of my questions.

WhereTheFishLives
Dec 11, 2006

Much to her chagrin, Miss Kitty realized she would not return home in time for her Fancy Feast served on Waterford Crystal.
ok I heard this really silly song through the YTMND random generator in GBS, I thought it might come in hand on my radio show or something. (mp3 sound clips are okay as long as its not the full track?)

.mp3 sound clip: http://content.ytmnd.com/content/4/0/f/40f8c1aa62dae9a6d4d29455ece0d9ef.mp3

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

This song was not "Forget Me Nots" by Ptrice Rushen, it was a more new wavey tune with softer vocals.
Sorry to bring this up agian but I'm DESPERATE to figure out what song this is. I'm hoping maybe some more people will notice if I bring it to the top of the thread.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

WhereTheFishLives posted:

ok I heard this really silly song through the YTMND random generator in GBS, I thought it might come in hand on my radio show or something. (mp3 sound clips are okay as long as its not the full track?)

.mp3 sound clip: http://content.ytmnd.com/content/4/0/f/40f8c1aa62dae9a6d4d29455ece0d9ef.mp3
I have no idea what this is, but it's incredible

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WhereTheFishLives posted:

This is "Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moonlight" by Tiny Tim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

OK, i've posted this before but never got an answer.

I heard this song on the radio sometime around 2000-2001. It had a punk poppish kind of sound. Think Nerf Herder or blink 182 or something along those lines. I know it had some lines about watching Party of five and hating Scott Wolf.

I know it's not much to go on, but i don't know who sang this song or what it was called. Any help would be very much appreciated.