Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ray_finkle
Aug 31, 2001
Laces out, Dan!
Hey guys, I need help ID'ing a song for a coworker. Apparantly it's been playing on the radio stations around Toronto recently but I can't figure out the title of the song.

The clues I've been given are that it's an upbeat, happy song, and that it possibly contains the lyric "all I know" and apparantly the first line of the song is somethine like "we're going to neil's party". Apparantly there is a british film out called Neil's Party but I can't find a soundtrack or anything. This is driving me nuts! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: The song is called oneA and it's by a Toronto-area band named ill Scarlett

ray_finkle fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 23, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

FitFortDanga posted:

Pure Prairie League - Amy?

Hahaha awesome, 3 days after you helped me figure out the song, I found it on vinyl at Goodwill for 50 cents :D

Kitsune 2049 posted:

Hey, this is exactly what I've been looking for, I've been trying so very hard to remember, Googling lyrics, sifting through iMixes, but I just can't find the song I have running through my head and would top off my 80s playlist:

It's one of those ultimate 80s pop-dance songs (though maybe technically it's the early 90s, but when you hear it, you'd think 80s), all synthesizers, super cheesy.

Most notable feature: the synthesized voice at the end of a verse says something like (though not exact since a lyric search didn't help me) "move your body from left to right" and "(something something) broad daylight" and then a loud stab of synth.

It was probably the most popular song in the universe for some week in the 1980s, but damned if I can remember anything about it other than that little shred of music.

I believe its Foreigner -- "Inside Information".

edit: haha and of course while trying to figure yours out, i suddenly remembered a little snippet of another song. Though I dunno how to describe it really. actually now that i think about it the song i'm trying to remember is a depeche mode song i think. hmmm.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 20, 2007

twentyfortynine
Mar 10, 2007

Strictly speaking, I'm never supposed to do this. But have you got a better idea?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Sorry, not it. Catchy, though.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I'm looking for a song by Jack Burger, then internets don't really yield too much information on him. I had it in a music exam, it was kind of carribbean, lots of percussion, a bit jazzy, I think it's called something like Mambo Burger, wondering if anyone knows where I can find it all?

Statutory Ray
Apr 21, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Hahaha awesome, 3 days after you helped me figure out the song, I found it on vinyl at Goodwill for 50 cents :D

edit: haha and of course while trying to figure yours out, i suddenly remembered a little snippet of another song. Though I dunno how to describe it really. actually now that i think about it the song i'm trying to remember is a depeche mode song i think. hmmm.

Technotronic?

Something by them has that loop at the end. High pitch almost rasta sounding chick?

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

I have a song that came from a mix CD ages ago named "Mingle", which is tagged as being by Jeff Buckley and Chris Cornell. Nobody i've played it to has any idea where it came from or who actually performed it. It's quite short, at 2:11, and the lyrics go something like:

quote:

In West Virginia, Southern Comfort
I can see it in your eyes
It looks familiar, may I thrill you?
Bittersweet if you don't mind

The arrows in a [?] time
Please before your sacred [? chime ?]
Fiery cauldron in your [?]
[? Severed ?] rain shall drop today

My bittersweet potion needs to breathe
My bittersweet, my bittersweet

The song is quite slow for the most part, with several layers of effects-heavy guitars under some kind of synthesized flute. At the 'bittersweet potion' part, it briefly breaks into a heavier section. Any ideas?

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..
There was a song I heard on the radio the other day that was guitar instrumental only. I also remember it from the movie "Airborne". IMDB soundtrack check came up with nothing. No idea what it's called or who played it.

The guitar work sounds really early-90's.

Ignoramus
Jun 14, 2001
Theres this song I keep catching mid way through on the radio and it sounds pretty pop'ish, the singing is a lot like the darkness and the lyrics rhyme something like this "I could be blue, I could be high, I could be violet in the sky". those are nothing like the real words but they sound similar and as the sentence goes on he goes up in pitch. Im pretty sure this is a new song.

\/\/\/\/--- awesome thanks, this song makes me giggle

Ignoramus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 23, 2007

quizilla
May 31, 2005
huge slut

Ignoramus posted:

Theres this song I keep catching mid way through on the radio and it sounds pretty pop'ish, the singing is a lot like the darkness and the lyrics rhyme something like this "I could be blue, I could be high, I could be violet in the sky". those are nothing like the real words but they sound similar and as the sentence goes on he goes up in pitch. Im pretty sure this is a new song.

Mika - Grace Kelly. :gay: + :dance:

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM
I heard a song on the radio a while ago, sounds a lot like something the Bee Gees would sing. I can't get it out of my head, and yet I can't remember the words because I am inclined to sing the words of Stayin' Alive. Any ideas?

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Im kind of foggy on the lyrics, I know it's a new song, something along the lines of " I want to push you around ", in a pop-rock theme. It's not Push by Matchbox, and I very well might have the lyrics a bit off, something along the lines of it. Kind of sounds similar to Brand New, I guess.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Seels posted:

Im kind of foggy on the lyrics, I know it's a new song, something along the lines of " I want to push you around ", in a pop-rock theme. It's not Push by Matchbox, and I very well might have the lyrics a bit off, something along the lines of it. Kind of sounds similar to Brand New, I guess.

Brand New has a song called 'Degausser' with the line "Well it's alright I'll push you up right against the wall."

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007

ntrepid posted:

There was a song I heard on the radio the other day that was guitar instrumental only. I also remember it from the movie "Airborne". IMDB soundtrack check came up with nothing. No idea what it's called or who played it.

The guitar work sounds really early-90's.

If you're not a 'instrumental guitar' guy and familiar with all of those wankariffic douchebags, I'm willing to bet this song is Joe Satriani's "Summer Song", since that was like the only one of those "listen to me solo for five minutes" songs to achieve any sort of chart penetration at the time. This is a completely uneducated guess, but it makes sense in my head. I've never seen the movie.

Kitsune 2049 posted:

Most notable feature: the synthesized voice at the end of a verse says something like (though not exact since a lyric search didn't help me) "move your body from left to right" and "(something something) broad daylight" and then a loud stab of synth.

"Don't Stop The Rock" by Freestyle. It's the ultimate skating rink song. Oh, and big sardonic LAWLZ at the Foreigner mention.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

penga86 posted:

I heard a song on the radio a while ago, sounds a lot like something the Bee Gees would sing. I can't get it out of my head, and yet I can't remember the words because I am inclined to sing the words of Stayin' Alive. Any ideas?

Maybe Scissor Sisters? Try 'I Don't Feel Like Dancing', that's the only one I can think of that might be it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Okay, I know the name of the song, and possibly the artist, but I have no idea where to find a physical copy of the song (album, tape, cd, anything).

The song is "Number One," off of the Real Genius movie soundtrack (which, as far as I know, was never released). The end credits say it's by a Chaz Jankel. The thing is, I have an mp3 of the full song, which is not played in it entirety in the movie. So it has to have existed somewhere, and I'm interested in one of the other tracks from the film ("Falling," don't know the artist).

So, goons, do any of you know if this soundtrack was released somewhere at some point in time, and what would be the best course of action for acquiring it?

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..

Lil Danzig posted:

If you're not a 'instrumental guitar' guy and familiar with all of those wankariffic douchebags, I'm willing to bet this song is Joe Satriani's "Summer Song", since that was like the only one of those "listen to me solo for five minutes" songs to achieve any sort of chart penetration at the time. This is a completely uneducated guess, but it makes sense in my head. I've never seen the

Wow, this is it. You deserve a blowjob.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!

Seels posted:

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Face Down?

twentyfortynine
Mar 10, 2007

Strictly speaking, I'm never supposed to do this. But have you got a better idea?

Lil Danzig posted:

"Don't Stop The Rock" by Freestyle. It's the ultimate skating rink song. Oh, and big sardonic LAWLZ at the Foreigner mention.

Oh God, thank you, that's it. Never has synth sounded so satisfying.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006

ShortThug posted:

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Face Down?

Yup, that's it. Thanks

Etnies
Dec 23, 2005

pizzle gizzle shizzle
Ok, I've heard this song on the radio recently, but I think it is an older song (they play it on oldies or classic rock stations and it was followed up by Eric Clapton once). It is instrumental and is like classical Latin acoustic guitar with some 1/16 clapping at one point. Again, it is instrumental and is a classical Latin (rumba flamenco?) song.

Primary instruments involved that I've picked out:
-2 acoustic guitars
-hand drums
-clapping

Etnies fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 24, 2007

turbulents
Jul 11, 2004
jump on it.
I'm looking for a song of the hip-hop variety. In the very beginning, it has a guy saying "oh no" four times, followed by the sound of a basketball bouncing and an airplane zooming overhead. I can't remember any other words except for perhaps Fabolous spelling out his name. I'm sure a lot of people know this song, but I don't listen to any hip-hop and I can't recognize it through iTunes previews.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Maybe Scissor Sisters? Try 'I Don't Feel Like Dancing', that's the only one I can think of that might be it.

You are correct sir, now I will go listen to this fag music in secrecy :ninja:

The Asian Cheech
Feb 8, 2006

In Amon Tobin's "I'll have the Waldorf Salad," there's a sample of a conversation with a song in the background which sounds very familiar to me but I can't figure out what it is. Here's the sample in question:

http://media.putfile.com/waldorf-mystery-sample

I've tried googling the lyrics and the conversation but haven't had much success; I might be messing the lyrics up because the song is kind of obscured by the dialogue. Thanks in advance.

LtWindlance
Apr 24, 2005
This is driving me a little crazy, so thanks in advance for any leads anyone has on this.

Tim McGraw - Watch the Wind Blow By - In the beginning(and throughout the song) there is a beautiful Violin peice that plays as a key part of the background melody. I KNOW there is another, slow-style country song that has this same peice as the centerpeice of the song, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

Pure Prairie League - Let me Love you Tonight is what I originally thought it was, as that sound exactly like it fits, but the only versions that I've found are jazz-ish, w/no violin.

The best way I can describe it is to pretty much take that violin peice and extend it to match the jazz melody from Let me Love you Tonight.

It's not a lot to go on, but that's all I have.

Pootaemos
Mar 20, 2007
Alright, so the song I'm looking to find is from a video game of some sort. I've never heard the original, only the orchestral version. I know I have the song somewhere in my files, but I cannot find it. All I need is the name. If it helps, the song is a perfect loop when played repeatedly. Although I don't have the original file, I arranged the two key parts to the song with the appropriate instrument sounds. From what I can recall -- and I've listened to this song a very large amount, the rhythms are dead on. Hope it's adequate!

http://media.putfile.com/Overworld-Theme

The other instruments include a guitar, and various jazzy drums that make up the background rhythm.

Brodly
Apr 17, 2003

Shaolin Soccer
I had this song in my head for the longest time and I can't seem to figure out who it's by. All I can remember is this guitar riff and the style in which the singer sings. I believe it's classic rock. Some bands that remind me of the song are Ten Years After, Deep Purple, and Savoy Brown.

http://boomp3.com/m/9b80f2812055 This is me playing the riff of what I remember, but it could be completely wrong.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
I cant find this song at all, but its very "militaristic" with drums and a very epic feeling. The chorus is like "I am the makings of a bomb...bang bang, bang bang". I googled those lyrics and various combinations but I cant find it at all.

Arete
Jan 19, 2004

Sorry, I'm just not too bright.
Does anyone know the song in the background of the Helio Ocean commercial? There's a longer version of the commercial on their MySpace page, but I can't find any info through Google.

Arete fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 27, 2007

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

Artem posted:

I cant find this song at all, but its very "militaristic" with drums and a very epic feeling. The chorus is like "I am the makings of a bomb...bang bang, bang bang". I googled those lyrics and various combinations but I cant find it at all.

This may be going out on a limb a bit, but the first thing that came to mind was Feuer Frei! by Rammstein.

Admant
Dec 14, 2006
Caught in an avalanche.
I downloaded this mp3 segment from an NS server awhile back and haven't been able to identify it. Rythm guitar in the background and what I guess is a violin up front.

http://rapidshare.com/files/33583117/rock2.mp3

Pootaemos
Mar 20, 2007

Admant posted:

I downloaded this mp3 segment from an NS server awhile back and haven't been able to identify it. Rythm guitar in the background and what I guess is a violin up front.

Sounds reminiscent of something Apocalyptica would do. If you're not familiar, they're cello players who play Metallica covers. (Not sure if that's a Metallica song, though.) Which also means that the string instrument is a cello, not a violin.

Admant
Dec 14, 2006
Caught in an avalanche.

Pootaemos posted:

Sounds reminiscent of something Apocalyptica would do. If you're not familiar, they're cello players who play Metallica covers. (Not sure if that's a Metallica song, though.) Which also means that the string instrument is a cello, not a violin.

Yeah, I've heard of them, but I'm fairly certain this isn't a Metallica cover. I'll look into their own material and see if I can find anything. Any other clues would be appreciated.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Yeah I am fairly sure that's Apocalyptica. The guitar and cello tones sound pretty much exactly like theirs. I've given the three albums of theirs I have a quick listen and didn't recognize the tune, but then again I didn't spend a lot of time on it either.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Sweetwater Kill posted:

This may be going out on a limb a bit, but the first thing that came to mind was Feuer Frei! by Rammstein.

No, no it's not German in anyway, and it's not that song. It sounds like any mainstream band, it was on radio so its something most likely very mainstream. Are there any websites where you can put in partial lyrics and find a song? Google isn't helping me

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

Artem posted:

No, no it's not German in anyway, and it's not that song. It sounds like any mainstream band, it was on radio so its something most likely very mainstream. Are there any websites where you can put in partial lyrics and find a song? Google isn't helping me

Looking more, it appears to be Bomb by The Payolas.

See here.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
What's the name of the first song in this Youtube video? I tried Googling it several times, trying to guess if it probably belongs to Sinead O'Connor or that girl from Cocteau Twins but to no avail.

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

Etnies posted:

Ok, I've heard this song on the radio recently, but I think it is an older song (they play it on oldies or classic rock stations and it was followed up by Eric Clapton once). It is instrumental and is like classical Latin acoustic guitar with some 1/16 clapping at one point. Again, it is instrumental and is a classical Latin (rumba flamenco?) song.

Primary instruments involved that I've picked out:
-2 acoustic guitars
-hand drums
-clapping

sounds like Rodrigo y Gabriela to me. they just became famous this year. i can't help you on which song, though. they all sound the same to me.

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007

Disharmony posted:

What's the name of the first song in this Youtube video? I tried Googling it several times, trying to guess if it probably belongs to Sinead O'Connor or that girl from Cocteau Twins but to no avail.

"Horse and I" by a group called Bat For Lashes. It's a singer-songwriter girl named Natasha Kahn and her rotating band of cohorts. Pretty good stuff, actually, kind of like an organic Portishead.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

Admant posted:

MMAgCh and Pootaemos were right, it's definitely Apocalyptica. It's the song Path off the album Cult. It's an original song, as well, not a cover or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Velocirocktor posted:

MMAgCh and Pootaemos were right, it's definitely Apocalyptica. It's the song Path off the album Cult. It's an original song, as well, not a cover or anything.
Hah, poo poo, I do actually have that album. Must've skipped over that particular bit :(