Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Parade Maker posted:

I'm looking for a song.
I think its house or dubstep. It uses a sample of Public Enemy's Night of the Living Baseheads.

The only electronic music that turned up on https://www.whosampled.com is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz6r_U-2K4
Sounds more like jungle but maybe it could be construed as dubstep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Got an annoying 80s song stuck in my head today. Some strange 80s pop song with a John Wayne impersonator singing, the chorus is something like "Dyah-hah, dyah-hah, dyah-haha hahaha". Yes, it is just as stupid as it sounds. Can anyone id this?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Got an annoying 80s song stuck in my head today. Some strange 80s pop song with a John Wayne impersonator singing, the chorus is something like "Dyah-hah, dyah-hah, dyah-haha hahaha". Yes, it is just as stupid as it sounds. Can anyone id this?

Oh found it finally, by googling some lyrics I remembered. The song is far, far worse than I had recalled, and I'd thought it was pretty terrible already
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8iouO9JRH0

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Trying to identify the name of this song, it's a hard trance track that is in any number of mixes from the late 90s. If you've listened to any trance mix from 98-2001 you've heard it, I just don't know the name of it. Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

"Substance" by Jon Vesta

Thanks!!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Looking for help finding a specific version of Carol of the Bells that I heard, in all places, in Starbucks last year. Female singer, maybe a capella or with minimal instrumentation, very light and clear soprano voice, and almost an ethereal quality to it, sounded like it was sung by a ghost is how I described it to a friend.

I've checked the first 8 pages or so on Youtube for Carol of the Bells and it's none of them.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Crackmaster posted:

If not Emmy Rossum, I think that description also fits this version by The Bird & The Bee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvkp2QY4qEI

Yes this one, thank you!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Is there an origin song for either of the main default Chinese musical cues that are used in tv, movies, and by standup comedians to indicate Chinese music? Example of one is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEOZk23FzA, can't find a yt of the second but the short version is five chords, I guess rendered as 'ching ching cha-ching ching'

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I've always been curious, what is the sort of music that appears at the beginning of this ad? Like, what genre is it? And where can I hear more? I've always kind of enjoyed this sort of "Twang Blung-a-Blung Blunggg" music, and I've heard it in little clips in scenes in movies and games like Starcraft and such.

Search youtube for steel guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr5QzBj7His
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5aT07gOis

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

Finally, I’ll repost the other song I was looking for:

Also, I heard another song at H&M about 2 months ago. It had an upbeat instrumental part [with a strong beat] and then a male voice came in and started rapping. The lyrics went something like this:

"show them what you got"
"make it easy"
"all the things (that?) you do"
"yeah it's true"

Google, iTunes, and YouTube have been unhelpful so far.

I doubt this is it, but it's the first thing that came to mind with your first quote. Also has somewhat upbeat instrumental and a strong beat, and a male rapper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmiLXBMRILY

Even if that's not it, if you can id that as the sample of the 'show em whatcha got' bit, that will help narrow it down to songs that have sampled it like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W13rdQVirF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS4U-HAHwps

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

isasphere posted:

Can anyone help me identify this song, please?

(Uploaded to tumblr for ease of listening)

http://scribblemage.tumblr.com/post/51761205421/anybody-know-what-this-song-is

The only clue I have was that the file was called "LoveKills.mp3". Searching on Google for the lyrics has proven fruitless so far, and the same goes for searches of "love kills" on Youtube. Someone has told me that Shazam finds nothing.

It's starting to seem that it is most likely a song by a really small indie band, but, just in case anyone has heard it?

Just going by the mastering, I tend to agree that it's a small indie band doing their own recording at a small studio or something. Where'd you get the track from?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

isasphere posted:

In a CD a friend gave me. It had other songs with mysterious file names as well, which I was able to track down. This is the only one that remains unknown.

I assume you can't ask him -- this is some kind of challenge / game?
Is there any kind of theme among the rest of the tracks that can give you a hint? Maybe it's a copy of a sampler disc from an indie label or something; if you know who the rest of the bands are maybe there's a clue there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

isasphere posted:

Oh, I don't think it was a challenge/game -- not all the tracks were mysteriously named. I don't know why some of them were, but the disc was given to me with the explicit intention of introducing me to new music/groups.

By the time I actually listened to every track, I hadn't had contact with him for years, but I might very well have to ask him if I ever see him again.

The other mysterious tracks I remember off the top of my head were a remix of "Dance With Me" by Lollievox and "Life in Mono" by Mono, so I'm not sure what the connection -- if there's any -- could possibly be. Those I managed to find by Googling the lyrics, and I think one was in a movie's soundtrack, so obscurity isn't the common theme here.

I think he just didn't check all the file names carefully, given how some only had the band's name, others had both name and song, and some were just called things like "track 2" but were under a folder with the band's name.

Edit: How difficult is to get a hold of indie labels' sampler discs?

Not too hard -- they're given away for promotional reasons. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sub+pop+sampler

Even in the days of physical media you could usually get them for the price of shipping, if that. Record stores would carry them, or there was a music magazine that came with a cd every month full of free promo songs.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What's the stereotypical song played in a movie or tv show after someone accomplishes something or gets an award or w/e? It's like the Pomp and Circumstance of victory celebrations. Duuuuuuuuuuun, duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh Duuuuuuuuun, do-do-doodle-do

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Pitpit posted:

Heard a song tonight by what I think was either The Beatles or Paul McCartney and cannot for the life of me find it on Youtube or Google.

All I can remember was the chorus and it started with Paul singing and in the background was "I don't know ___ ___ ___". It was pretty damm catchy.

Well this one is actually George Harrison singing but I could see it being confused for Paul maybe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udBP7poismk
The "I don't know" section starts at 1:14

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gU59drWD4 maybe, if you're certain the "I don't know" is in the background.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 9, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Cocksmith posted:

What is that song that goes "woah oh oh oh"? Someone told me it was called something like "boscag"?

New Kids On The Block - The Right Stuff

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

This is a dumb request because I don't even like the song, but you know Andrew WK - Party Hard? I've always thought the note or chord progression for the part that goes "we do what we like, and we like what we do!" sounds exactly like something, but I can't think of what it is. But it seems incredibly familiar. Any ideas?

For reference, the bit that starts at 1:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

e: maybe a commercial? A beer commercial from the 80s? I dunno but it's from something, dammit

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Natural Laxative posted:

Went and saw Elysium today and during the commercials before the movie they had a music video and its driving us crazy what it was. All we can remember about it {was before the movie after all} was that is was a love song, and the singer was wearing a black leather jacket and singing in front of monitors playing footage of couples. I know its not a lot to go on, but figured I'd try a shot in the dark.

White guy? Black guy? Blonde hair or brown? R&B or pop/rock?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Glass Joe posted:

Sounds a bit like this part from Starship - We Built This City

I think this is it! I had to sing this song in 6th grade choir and it has unfortunately been intermittently bouncing around in my head for the last 25 years

Thanks

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Terrible adult contemporary song from a couple years back been stuck in my head and hopefully id'ing it will help get rid of it. Male singer, I don't know the lyrics but my mind insists on interpreting the chorus as "Sandwich and meat to stay, sandwich and meat to stay"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks. Guy needs to enunciate better.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Starks posted:

A long time ago I saw a weird music video of a dude with a monster mask and a gold chain putting on lipstick in front of a bathroom mirror. Can't remember any of the lyrics, just the video, and I tried googling it a bunch of different ways but couldn't find it. Anyone know what it is?

I doubt this is it, but just on the offchance. The lipstick part is what brought it to mind. :nws: for drug use / strippers.
Rad Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0G3uH71B8

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Unless I'm missing a joke, the song at 23 minutes is definitively not Sandstorm

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Anatharon posted:

Awhile back in a random selection of songs from a Youtube mix I was listening to while I was working, there was an upbeat song with a lyric something like "fade into darkness" sung as a chorus. It had a fairly quick beat to it.

I tried googling that, but the first result, a song by Avcii called "fade into darkness" wasn't it. It might've been a cover, though.

Long shot here -- Apoptygma Berzerk cover of Fade to Black?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kr2VAWlJUs
The title itself doesn't technically appear in the song but is shouted out from time to time in the live version.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

There's a song that Eddie Vedder sings. Unsure if it's solo, pearl jam, or otherwise. I believe it came out in the mid 2000s. I don't remember any of the lyrics but it's a slower song and more mellow/perhaps slightly depressing/emotional sounding. Sorry my description is so drat terrible. Help?

Last Kiss?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0B-hJ_gotc

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

paco650 posted:

I've been having trouble finding the title and artist because I don't speak any French and wasn't alive when it was released. 60's French Pop-rock but not yé-yé, so no luck there. Phonetically searching for lyrics has turned up amusing but unhelpful results.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Spent a while on this with my execrable french, trying to google snippets of the lyrics without much luck. I'm reasonably confident that 'de la noir de soir', chantois, semblable, flambeau, and tombeau are all in there but the only songs that turn up with various combinations of those words definitely aren't it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

I was listening to the Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" on Pandora yesterday, and I remembered hearing a version of it when I was a kid that had Mick Jones saying "Bless you!" after the high-pitched "woo!" samples in the intro that sound like sneezes.

Like:

*Woo!*
MJ: Bless you!
*Woo!*
*Woo!*
*Woo!*
MJ: Bless...you!

The Pandora/album (Combat Rock) version doesn't have that in it, so where would I find the version that does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPrPNpzLHIk

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What Radiohead / The Smile song sounds like a blatant rip of the intro to GYBE - Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_wnykggWM

I thought it was The Smile - The Same but listening back to back I'm not sure. I don't have a great ear for music but maybe the chord progression is the same? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDaqGv4AIE

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I guess it's early Big Beat. Later evolution of that sound would be things like Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Prodigy, especially early Prodigy, is more acid / rave but good list. I drat near wore out The Crystal Method - Vegas (on cassette tape, natch). Just trashy, dirty-rear end acid x big beat sounds blasting from the stock stereo speakers in a LeBaron convertible.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Music For The Jilted Generation is pure Big Beat with a bit of Industrial thrown in

Went back and listened and you're absolutely right. Memory is crazy, I recognized the songs but drat if I didn't also remember them being more rave. I wonder if my mind conflated some Lords of Acid in there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Block Rockin Beats for me

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

^ e: oh. Good song, good album.

Nostalgamus posted:

I have vague memories of a techno song with no lyrics that was popular in the mid-to-late 90s. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

That's a million songs.

Three Drives - Greece 2000

Binary Finary - 1998

Paul van Dyk - For an Angel, Words for Love

Energy 52 - Café del Mar (three in one remix is probably the most popular)

That's just a few from the trance subgenre.

Others might be,

Aphex Twin - Windowlicker

Future Sound of London - We Have Explosive (I guess technically there are lyrics), Papua New Guinea

Moby - Go! (again, technically has lyrics I guess)

Daft Punk - Da Funk (actually now that I think about it, this is my top choice)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Just so you know, your song (and most of the songs suggested, tbh) aren't Techno, they're Trance.

Brother, this battle was lost two decades ago

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when i went to new orleans for the first time someone gave me a cd with a bunch of music, which i lost years later. most of it was easy to find, but there's this one song i remember some lyrics for, but google does absolutely nothing

it was very brass and vocals heavy, the lyrics were focused on the space race, so makes me think it was 60s ish, or maybe a cover of an earlier song

chorus went something like

"rocket to (on?) the moon,
rocket to the moon,
and if they ever do it'll be too soon,
they're building a rocket to send (go?) to the moon"

i also distinctly remember a line "nero played the fiddle while rome burned"

it was fairly high quality, which makes me think this isn't some kind of rip off of some obscure tape or vinyl, but the only results i ever get is "whitey on the moon" which is a similar topic but definitely completely different in origin

https://mannyfreiser.com/track/2130325/once-great-planet-earth ? It matches about half of your description.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Knowing no songs of his by name, I bet it's something by Frank Ocean