Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

alcoholiday posted:

What is this English football/soccer song?

http://tindeck.com/listen/mgmc

Specifically, where can I find the words to the Liverpool version?

Either I'm an idiot or that's You'll Never Walk Alone.

(Idiocy is possible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Eyeball posted:

TaTu's cover of "How Soon Is Now?"?

What? Why? When?

I can't say I'm the hugest Smiths fan, but, like, that is one of the most uncoverable songs I can think of off the top of my head---that ridiculous multi-delayed guitar, Morrissey's ridiculous Being Morrissey...I'm disappointed in the world for letting that happen.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sai posted:

It's a 'southern gospel gothic' song (it sounds more like a very slow ballad), sung by a woman. A man died/disappeared in unfortunate circumstances, family members are talking about it while the singer is in the kitchen, maybe he drove from a cliff? The singer did it. She's got a low voice. There's no real strong hook or melody, it's almost spoken word. I'm guessing '70's, maybe early '80's or late '60's.

If I remember right the name of the song is connected to the murder. Something like 'Washington Hill'. It's a very 'fall' song.

Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billie Joe?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvocoG9eOdY

EDIT - Yessssssss I've never gotten one of these right before.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 10, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GreenAcidRage posted:

The coldplay song played in the ad for their stream on youtube. What's it called? It keeps playing before all my VEVO music videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAxLR2_wSsc&feature=related <Random VEVO video.

I tried turning off my adblocker and running some vevo poo poo to see if I could help out, all I got were ads for Hunt's tomatoes, State Farm Insurance and some anti-smoking PSA.

However, if they're promoting Coldplay right now, it's because they've got a new record out. Your best bet is to check the tracks off of it; it's probably one of the singles that has been released for the record so far, "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" or "Paradise." If it's not, well, then just grab the tracklist off wikipedia and start tossing names into the youtube search, some kid has to have uploaded the whole record by now.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame

I must say I've never connected this song with extreme sports in my life.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Droxis posted:

Nope! Male vocalist(s)! :(

Are you sure it's not "What Do I Get" by the Buzzcocks?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sockpuppetclock posted:

Looking for a song, reminiscent of the 80s? Late 70s? Slowish somber song, most recognizable from the 3 syllable word/phrase that the singer repeats in a chorus similar to "[daneena].... [daneena], [dey deh det deyhey], [daneenaa]..."

Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "C'est La Vie", from 1977?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

Immortal Technique - Dance With The Devil

my friend put this song on in the car once and it made his dad cry

I was working day shift in a pizza joint in college, the guy I worked with (he held down the store while I drove pies around town) played eight zillion tons of Immortal Technique and a bunch of equally obnoxious technical death metal (you know the kind, the sort where it's nothing but blastbeats and gravity rolls), and Dance With The Devil made me seriously uncomfortable. It still does.

And yet I was the one who got yelled at by the boss for my music choices for having the DKs on during lunch rush. (because, he said, the customers might not get the point of stuff like Kill The Poor and think we're actively advocating murder) Ah well.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Argh, now I'm stuck trying to figure out what it is. Sounds a little more like Cetera than Gabriel, though. Maybe I'm hallucinating.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rumble, by Link Wray and his Ray Men.

It bothered me for the longest time that I didn't know what it was, I ended up learning to play it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It is pretty much the ultimate what the gently caress is THAT SONG song.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

AreYouStillThere posted:

These are so close but not quite the song I'm looking for. If it helps, I am just about positive one of the Youtube videos I heard it in was a 10 minutes or so CGI movie of giant white robots taking over Tokyo. The only sound was this song. And, of course, I can't find this video, otherwise I'm sure I would have identified the song by now :(

Giant white robots taking over Tokyo, you say? Sounds like Evangelion to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l12TvP5nMVg

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dwayne Bensey posted:

I heard a song when I was traveling in Europe recently. The first minute or two (or maybe more) was just a long build-up that sounded a bit like the very start of The Kinks' Do You Remember Walter, or more like the first 10 seconds or so of ELO's Mr. Blue Sky. I think it was a modern song, and the first few minutes were basically just one chord played on the beat. Now that I think about it, it was very similar to the start of Mr. Blue Sky, and might have even had the same piano-guitar-bass instrumentation and maybe some claps thrown in too. Hope that's enough to go on!

I suspect you're thinking of All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem. I could be wrong, though.

(Sorry, I couldn't find a youtube link to the studio version, just live versions or the single edit that cuts out the whole intro.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, I was at a show tonight, and amongst the music on the PA was an absolute stinker, which got cut off as the opener came on, then because apparently the guy running the PA was all like "this song is amazing you guys you really need to hear it all to understand how good it is" he put it on again from the beginning while the roadies cleared the opener's gear.

I kinda now need to know what the gently caress it was so I can hate it properly.

Unfortunately, all I remember is that it's a giant Queen ripoff (it didn't sound like Muse, though) with a string section, then a midtempo Bonham stomp, and eight million layered vocal tracks. The only lyrics I remember are, unless I'm completely hallucinating, a section where the multitracked chorus goes "what the hell what the hell what the hell?"

edited because I apparently can't finish a loving sentence.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 27, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gushing Granny posted:

That's the one! I thought it was in Kill Bill.

Close, but wrong Tarantino. It's Pulp Fiction.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That is so ridiculously 1989 it's amazing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

No, because this is the internet, we can't have anyone listening to non-nerd-specific music, god forbid, so it's gotta be the Protomen.

Okay, bile over with.

Procol Harum? Prong? Propagandhi? Propellerheads? Prozzak?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I knew that that was a Charlie Brooker show, though I'd never seen it, and I know he's a big fan of Grandaddy, and has used their stuff for themes before, but it doesn't sound familiar.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This one should be obvious, but I haven't eaten yet today and it's loving bothering me.

70s-style classic rock, sounds like Foreigner, song opens with heavily phased piano, lyrics are stereotypically all about a girl who's playing games and something about chains.

I am going to kick myself so hard when it's identified.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

YouDummy posted:

Wild stab, but is it possible you misheard "Chains"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApZ1aD8nYEk

Nope, totally not. Too many synths in this, the guitar is too clean, and it doesn't start with phased piano. That is literally the only thing at the beginning of the song.

edit: Also, I want to say it's a real four-on-the-floor stomper, it's got a cowbell keeping time and everything.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nope. Male vocalists, plural, not Lindsey and Stevie and Christine.

And I mean piano that has been run through a phaser or flanger.

I've checked the website of the radio station where I heard it and their playlists are four days behind. Goddamn it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress.

Yeah, that's it. Thanks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm going to start digging through the back catalogue myself soon, but I was wondering if there's anyone who can help with this: I was watching a goon with a goldfish memory stream Euro Truck Simulator 2012 earlier, and he was playing nothing but Mr. Oizo. I'm trying to find out what the song was that was playing when he first got sound working on the stream, I only caught the last ten seconds of it or so. I don't remember any beat going at the time, but the song ended on an upbeat, major-key synth doodle of sorts.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think you're thinking of "Fire On High" by Electric Light Orchestra.

e: I just listened to it again, and I KNOW you're thinking of Fire On High.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Be sure to flip the recording backwards to hear what Jeff Lynne is saying at that point. It walks the border between pretentious and hilarious.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Having seen a documentary on him, I'd shy away from pretentious - he sounds like an ordinary guy who can't believe his luck, like he's won a competition in a magazine or something.

"Wow it's the Beatles! Blummin' brilliant!!"

Oh, I'm not making judgements on Lynne himself. Dude is awesome. I'm just saying that his backmasked message in Fire On High is ridiculous. Obviously intentionally so, but still.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A Large Dinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCHsxeApxg

Help me. Please. This is not Willie Dixon or Sonny Boy Williamson. I'm going loving crazy I can't find who this version is by.

It appears to be by the person who posted the video.

youtube posted:

kenny bissett 1 year ago
dewexdewex, is this really you?
Dewex Dewex 1 year ago
yes
malegego 1 year ago
If so, can you make it available for me to download at least. It's amazing.
Dewex Dewex 1 year ago
The correct path to the mp3 is in the description. If the page will not load, the server may be down. Try at a later date.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You're probably thinking of a different Mumford & Sons song, since they basically all sound the same.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The problem is that there are as many indie labels as grains of sand, each with label samplers going back years and years.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cocksmith posted:

What is that song that goes "woah oh oh oh"? Someone told me it was called something like "boscag"?

Lido Shuffle, by Boz Scaggs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Not so much a song as a video, but...

A long while ago, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, I saw a version of One by Metallica on YouTube. It was the music video version, except someone had taken the music and made it awful in an editor. So the guitar is plinking, the drums are horribly out of sync, and I think the vocals are really low in the mix. It might have been part of a series. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks in advance.

Also, thanks to whoever identified that P.O.S. song for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaoDsjzNRLQ

I imagine that's it; I'd never heard this before, but I'd seen other "shred" videos.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Was at Taco Cabana (I'm not proud, I was hungry) and caught the tail-end of a song on their stereo. It was from the 80s most likely, at least partly electronic drums, probably a bit gated, reggae backbeat, and the outro was a synth solo. Any thoughts? I know this one's pretty vague.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm thinking of two classical songs, both made in response to some other piece of art or literature.

One is a song a composer made after reading about a story where all light left the world and all of earth goes mad burning things for their light. Or maybe the piece was just written about that concept without being inspired by a story?

Another is a song written about a painting of a lone castle on an island in the middle of a misty lake that is empty except for a lone boat on its waters.

I wish I could remember them better to give more hints, but all I remember is that they were inspired that way and are classical pieces.

The obvious first guess would be Pictures At An Exhibition (The Old Castle), but I'd be stumped beyond that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Aonyx posted:

I'm trying to find a song that I've heard several times in the past. I don't believe it had any lyrics. The only thing I can think of that may help identify it is that it had a sound very similar to the high frequency thing that you hear at 55 seconds into this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pSlu2okpqM

If it helps at all, I know I've heard it played at Chipotle a few times. :confused:

Well, I can tell you it's a synthesizer, and that use of a synth makes me immediately think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qkP8SvHvaU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

I don't know how funky Chipotle is but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEscJWErZ0I

If Chipotle was that funky, I'd eat there all the time. I doubt it, but it's always worth listening to the Ohio Players.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Xandoom posted:

So there's a song by Yes, a long song (I think?). It's pretty vague but it had an epic quality to it and went *somethingsomethingsomethingSu-u-ummthiing ooohooohooohooh*. Can anyone maybe help out? Sorry I don't have a lot to work with here.

Heart of the Sunrise would be my first guess.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Actually had one that I probably should know today, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's not helped by being played at the grocery store. I could swear it sounded like The Go-Go's, and the hook had the word "Dreaming" (possibly "Dreamin'") repeated a number of times. Definitely had that tom-driven drum chart that made me think Go-Go's. But, again, grocery store, and my hearing's not so good in large, echoey spaces.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In one, thanks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

When I read that I immediately thought of Plush by Stone Temple Pilots but I've no idea if John Frusciante sounds like them or not. I think there's an acoustic version though, so maybe that?

I thought Silverchair, myself, but who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bashez posted:

Her voice actually is close to what I'm remembering (I hesitate to say it's close to reality though), what I remember is kind of a rap crossover, it's definitely a lot faster. I feel like such an rear end in a top hat for giving out lovely hints on a stupid scavenger hunt and I don't even know where the stuff is.

Something KMFDM-shaped, then, as fast things go?

Fierce Brosnan posted:

When I think of shouty-lady late-nineties industrial, I think of Snake River Conspiracy

Oh, man, I've not thought of them in years. Saw them open for A Perfect Circle.