Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TheOneOutside posted:

It's been bothering me for awhile - there's a classic rock song that's heavy on either synth or a vocoder

The bridge of Pink Floyd's "Sheep"? Don't recall lyrics sounding like what you mentioned but worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inyourbase posted:

I have kind of a conundrum, Its not a song I cant find. Its a whole band. They toured with say anything a few years ago but were a strange mix of indy/jazz/swing. They came with them to perform at my university and I can't for the life of me remeber them. The name followed the format of "blank blank and the blank blanks" does anyone know where to find lists of what band has toured with who? or know what band I am talking about?

If you haven't I'd first Google "say anything" with "name of your university", maybe find a fansite or something that was listing tour dates which might include opening acts. Less likely if they weren't actually touring together and were separately booked for that show.

Does your university have a student newspaper with archives on the web site? Try there for a preview or article about the show. Or if it was recent enough that some of the people from the student activity committee or whatever that organized the show would still be around, see if that organization has contact info in a university directory and just ask them.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Had a question but found the answer myself before posting it. I will post it for the enjoyment of others. The question was about something I had not heard myself, but had seen described a few months ago probably on Twitter. It was a reference to what sounded like a televised live tribute event to Stevie Wonder with various artists performing his songs. I remembered reading that an artist who is a white woman performed "I Wish", and the reaction was not like a full cancel but just noting that it was an odd choice for her to go with a song that begins "Looking back on when I/was a little nappy-headed boy", but I couldn't remember who the singer was and wasn't 100% sure I was even remembering the gist correctly.

It did happen more or less as I remembered, and the performer was Celine Dion.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hexwren posted:

got a very tiny fragment of song stuck in my head, and I can't get to the rest of the song because my brain keeps kicking over to it's only rock & roll by the stones, which is definitely not it at all

it's some sort of rock-pop song, in straight rhythm or slightly swung, where at one point in the song, instead of the refrain being played like it is elsewhere, the drummer goes for a triplet fill on toms and the vocalist breaks up what they're singing so that tiny syllables of singing fit in between each drum hit

I'm scrambling for more than that. male vocalist. could be anywhere from 60s-today. it haunts me
I was so sure this was gonna be "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" cause that and "It's Only Rock 'n Roll" are basically the same song in my mind but I just listened to it and didn't notice that. Maybe that shakes something out of your memory?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That song comes up all the time here for some reason. I guess it's ubiquitous and earwormy but the title lyric isn't particularly memorable and doesn't come on the earwormy part.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

wild guess: "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", Crosby Stills & Nash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I would look in the direction of Sun Ra, unless you're sure it was an artist from New Orleans, which he wasn't but I wasn't sure if that was implied by the question.