Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Might be a long shot, but can I get a title on this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FukrDx7JfBw

I'm pretty sure it's Inti Illimani. I used to have that song, must have been ten years ago, and I'd forgotten all about it.

e: it might be the Grim Fandango soundtrack :shobon:

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thanks! Grim Fandango was actually even my first thought but I didn't find it on a cursory youtubing, so I defaulted to Inti Illimani.

e: while I'm here though, here's another one, and I don't have much to go on:

- 50s/early 60s single, nothing you'd know as a casual listener (so not Herman's Hermits or The Zombies or anything)
- four-line verses, almost monotonous with little melodic variation, same melody for each line, only the last note gets lower with each line
- in one of the verses the last line goes something like "you got me ___ing on a cloud", can't remember what exactly
- each verse is immediately followed by two lines that are just "doopy doopy doopy doopy doopy doopy doo", no chorus otherwise
- singer might be named Tommy (but not Tommy Roe, either) and might not be
- only time I ever heard it was on one of those youtube channels that show off old 45 records, the video was just the record playing

... yeah. Good luck, I guess.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 22, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nope, not the one. It was faster than that, and more sparsely instrumented - don't think there was an organ and I'm also pretty sure no harmony vocals. Man I hope I'm not totally wrong on the 50s/60s thing.

e: the video may also have just been a shot of the record label. I'm looking through youtube accounts dedicated to 60s vinyl hoping something will seem familiar, and that seems pretty common as well. (It's the least efficient method to find a song.)

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 23, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

- 50s/early 60s single, nothing you'd know as a casual listener (so not Herman's Hermits or The Zombies or anything)
- four-line verses, almost monotonous with little melodic variation, same melody for each line, only the last note gets lower with each line
- in one of the verses the last line goes something like "you got me ___ing on a cloud", can't remember what exactly
- each verse is immediately followed by two lines that are just "doopy doopy doopy doopy doopy doopy doo", no chorus otherwise
- singer might be named Tommy (but not Tommy Roe, either) and might not be
- only time I ever heard it was on one of those youtube channels that show off old 45 records, the video was just the record playing
Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2t7lsEzHo

... more of a novelty song than I remembered, with those sound effects. But hey. 60s was way off though.

Had to straight up track down the guy who linked me to it years ago, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looking for a hip hop song with a very distinctive bass line and monotone beat. I've had this stuck in my head for weeks and thought it was some internet thing that I'll never find again - possibly by weebl? - but today I heard it and thought, oh hey, it's an actual song after all. Unfortunately, didn't catch any lyrics due to loud environment, all I can do is try to typographically represent the main hook.

e: Roots Manuva, Witness, and I was completely right about where I heard it first.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 11, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

a slime posted:

Japanese electronic group, music video that's just a little girl dancing with her red backpack. fonic... Pentafontic.. something like this
POLYSICS - I My Me Mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6UrNtd90BY

e: pretty much all their live stuff in the related vids is pure gold

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha, I immediately had the tune in my head. Good job.

e: and now of course it's gonna stay there for the rest of the day

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 6, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Closest I can think of is 88 Lines About 44 Women, but that's probably not it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzMDcL0aiEk

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think I've ever been this far off

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Managed to figure out the title of the deleted video through one of those youtube to MP3 sites: Marilyn Maye Tribute - "Java"

And using that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co_uSOwEIig

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's called "Marmor, Stein und Eisen bricht" (what a quintessentially German title). "Marble, stone and iron breaks" is what he says and the literal translation; "but our love won't" is how it goes on. The bit that sounds like "down down" is just stuff, like "la la la." There must be a word for this.

It's very 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_74YzFnQbzg

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 17, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've had something go around in my head since yesterday and I can't figure it out. I think it's a relatively well-known modern song from the same sphere of influence as Mumford & Sons, Fleet Foxes or even Coldplay. Folksy guitar chords, simply structured. I can't remember any lyrics at all, just the singing melody, which goes something like this:

https://clyp.it/qprhsjxi

I don't think I have the key or tempo entirely right. As far as I know that repeats pretty much throughout, although I think this bit may even be a minor deviation from the regular melody towards the end. No lyrics that I can remember reliably.

I do know this much, I don't even particularly like the song. Can't imagine where I picked it up either. Just drives me nuts that I can't remember more.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nope, turns out it actually is the New Order one and I'm just really bad at remembering arrangements/hearing circumstances. :downs: I bet I caught it on one of my extended youtube sessions. Thanks, that's a tiny load off my mind!

Weird how music perception works: now that I no longer remember it as a modern folky thing, I actually do quite like it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's Trans-X - Living on Video both before and after the cut, but at about 4:26 it changes.

e: love the guy trying to take off his jacket and dance to Blue Monday at the same time :allears:

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 27, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll be astonished if anyone gets this one. It's a pretty 80s-sounding synthpop song, with that typical combo of drum machine/kinda monotonous eighth-notes-bass line/simple synth hook. The singer is a woman and I didn't get any of the lyrics. The main lyrics hook might have been something like "message for love" but it could be anything roughly in that syllable pattern. I only heard it briefly in a loud store and I reckon it's something relatively modern because I know my vintage 80s songs.

Maybe Chromatics or another Johnny Jewel project but I'm just saying that because he's involved in so many, truth be told by this point I remember it so badly that if someone does post it I probably have only about a 75% chance of recognizing it.

e: I'm not ruling out it was genuine 80s because there were so little modern elements but then it was loud and I only heard like half of it

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 12, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was even gonna recreate it in this synth app on my tablet but by the time I got to a quiet enough spot the melody was gone. Shoulda just recorded a clip, in retrospect.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This bassline has been stuck in my head. As far as I remember it's from a reggae song, probably from the 70s/80s.

https://clyp.it/m3yxfwez

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looking for something obscure again: probably early 80s post-punk/goth, or a very good imitation of the minimalist early 80s vibe. Searching by what little lyrics I remember is pretty useless; the only thing I can remember is that the chorus is simply the line "so, so romantic" repeated a few times, the first repetition being monotonely spoken with no instruments in the background at all. The whole thing doesn't have much melody to it either. I seem to half remember that the last line of each verse is notably shorter than the rest, and that at least one verse ends in "... loving you."

If I'm honest, I'm not 100% sure the word is "romantic", but like 99% and it has the same rhythm.

e: found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGZhlnrStN4
I'm slightly embarrassed cause it actually did show up in my searches but I just kinda, uh, missed it.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 8, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cran posted:

Alright, so, I downloaded a midi off a website way back in 2002, and I've been trying to figure out what it is ever since. I checked the metadata recently, but it doesn't tell me anything other than the star theme is supposed to be vocals, so I'm fairly sure it's a band song, but it might be from an anime or video game??? I honestly don't know. Now I've got some friends going crazy trying to figure it out, too.

I exported the midi to mp3 here.
Every time I checked this thread in the last few days I happened to be on my work computer without sound, and I always meant to give this a shot, and now I cannot believe no one got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6JpxDebokM

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The lyrics immediately make me think Bronski Beat, but that's off on a few other counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD2rznSW454

e: oh the song itself is from six years ago, you didn't just hear it six years ago? Yeah probably not it then. Maybe a remix but more likely something else altogether.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, if absolutely all else fails, the record is dirt cheap on discogs, and if you have or know someone with a turntable it's fairly easy to record the audio. Commercial digitization services are available too, and some libraries have setups as well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sounds kinda like Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's gimmick except they did that all the time. Could be any of their tracks.

e: welp :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

First one's definitely the Metal Gear Solid main theme, there were a few variations of it but if you google that it'll pop up right away. That motif tends to not appear until a minute or two in, though. MGS 1 and especially 2 definitely had it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kinda reminds me of the hook from The Bad Touch, actually.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They did record that with an orchestra, I reckon if they wanted a real harpsichord, they had every opportunity to get one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shot in the dark, but Neutron Dance kinda reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgY4Te0uFs

It was in Slapshot, I guess. And there's an 80s cover.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivQqTtiHVw

Resorting to more or less random chance at this point

Any chance you're able to replicate the synth hook somehow?

It's not Red River Rock, is it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a legit old folk song too so there's bound to be any number of recordings and lyrics variations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

First thing to my mind is Six Different Ways.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Plainsong has a 20 second glockenspiel intro or something. Homesick has a piano intro. Both off of Disintegration.

If this is just a ploy to get us to post The Cure songs... well, I approve wholeheartedly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Good god it's like they cut out half a beat from between each line.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've had the single line "when you least expect it" going round my head for the past few weeks and I know it's gotta be from a song but I've been looping it in my head and nothing else is coming up that would give me a clue. Putting it out here, maybe it happens to be someone's favourite song ever.

What I do know:
- the particular cadence goes something like "when you least ex - pect - it"
- I think it's more interjected than sung to a tune and may be the only instance of that line in the song. Like I'm somewhat sure it's not a repeating line in the chorus or anything
- not a pop song, most likely something punk/alternative
- no clue whatsoever what "it" is
- I've already tried googling the phrase plus "lyrics" and successively removing each artist that popped up from the query to go more and more obscure, no dice

fairly certain about the words and cadence but anything else might be completely wrong :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not the one, but a good song!

This is gonna take a lot of trial and error. Mine's not that mellow by a long shot, I'm thinking more of guitars and a beat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

yo I found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwH65cgRVk

"not a pop song", "not that mellow", no loving poo poo :v:

e: was tentatively thinking of posting "pretty sure the 'it' isn't 'love'" too, checks out

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder if someone may have sampled John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

echinopsis posted:

it’s a bone thugs song and it’s got gun sounds in it (at the end of a few bars or so, not randomly) it’s not thug luv, it’s a slower song (I think?) and the gun sounds are much less often in the song

pretty sure it’s on creepin or e1999 but I can’t seem
to find it
I vaguely remember one on The Art Of War that had shotgun racking and firing sounds throughout.