Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

This is probably a tough one.

I've had this early 00's, maybe early 10's EDM song stuck in my head for like 3 years and I have no idea what it is or who it's by.

I think the album cover is red, or has a lot of red on it. The song itself is pretty chill, it's a really good jam for when you're driving around. Some of the synths kind of remind me of shifting through gears a bit. It sounds sort of like a cross between Above & Beyond and Tiesto, but I haven't found it listening to either of them. I saw it on a friend's iPod and I remember knowing who the artist was at the time, but I can't remember who or what it was now. I've gone through some of the more popular EDM stuff --- Calvin Harris, Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, etc. I have no idea who it is, and I know this is about as vague as it gets but if someone can help me find this deeply embedded earworm of a song I'd be eternally grateful.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Not Godspeed, but that's pretty close. It's a bit slower. Not Kavinsky either, but some similarities. I want to say I've heard it in a video game, or maybe a TV show -- possibly Top Gear? -- but I'm not 100% sure.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

hifi posted:

pinning down the era would help a lot, early 00's was in a flux and the 10's was in a different one. more 90s breakbeats? actual modern edm where you make the heart with your hands to the crowd? rave pianos???

If I had to guess I'd say probably a little more late-90s, early-00s. I'd be surprised if it was after 2007, but I can't nail down when I first heard it. It was something that got used enough that I recognized it when I heard it. The part stuck in my head has a sort of buzzing-whistling sound, it reminds me of engine sounds from 90s video games which is why I probably make the driving connection. The melody in the opening music from "Test Drive 2" on the Amiga sounds a little like it, at least in terms of sounding like a similar synth.

It sort of reminds me of BT's stuff, but I don't think it's him. Orbital is sorta similar, but I haven't found anything by them that sounds like it. All of this stuff so far sounds a lot more 'upbeat,' if that makes sense?

I'm digging that Maserati tune, though, that's new to me.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I don't think so but I'll keep listening, if for no other reason than this track is dope.

I think it's more typical of 90s/00s trance/edm, very similar to stuff like Paul Oakenfold and Darude, but as best as I can tell, not them.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8b4xYbEugo
This it?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My guess is either "People Who Died"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKoU_W_mf8

Or Butthole Surfers "Pepper"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8vBVUaKvk

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Kangra posted:

This is a song I heard playing at a supermarket, and I couldn't really get much of it. It had a driving beat and kind of a Celtic/Irish folk sound. The singer sounded female.

I think the lyrics may have mentioned '64' at some point. And possibly '59' but I'm less confident about that. There may have been something about time in there, maybe 'when this happens' or 'the morning'.

Maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8c4jz21keM

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

knuthgrush posted:

better man is too tinny, the guitar was more muted. it also blasts into a crescendo. this tune was mellow for at least the first maybe 2min, i didn't catch the rest after that. too much percussion and speed in sour girl. both bands were definitely in whatever playlist they were on.

all the songs it reminds me of just aren't quite right. i'm gonna be up there again tomorrow. i might ask what they use for their music. today it was classic rock instead.

EDIT: the tone of the guitar was a lot like that of opening water's edge by seven mary three but the notes/speed/etc was off and it didn't pick up like that song did. i also think spotify's results are getting muddy because i keep looking up all these 90s alt/grunge bands i remember and the "radio" playlists are just coalescing to those bands. like all these suggestions are squarely in the genre but the song was just kinda different.

Candlebox - Cover Me?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I was thinking "Touch of Grey" at first because it's the only song I can think of that gets any real airplay, but a completely random, unrelated post elsewhere makes me think it might be "Ripple"

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's it!

Yeah, should have added that it's not one of the twenty minute live jams. "Touch of Grey" is also a pretty cool song but it definitely wouldn't have been that one.

That's some wild kismet then, I saw this post, then a couple minutes later was dicking around on Facebook and an older dude I know posted that song. I'd never heard it but I was like "yeah this might be the one."

So here's a weird request:
I don't remember anything at all about the song, but there was a music video in the middish 1980s I've been trying to figure out what it was. It was some heavy-metal glam rock looking dudes, and the main singer I guess was dressed up kind of like Rambo, and at one point a hand comes out of his mouth. They're all slinking around some post-apoc set, and there's a lot of smoke-machine mist and colored lighting. poo poo freaked me out as a kid and I've always wondered what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Buttchocks posted:

This is driving me crazy. A song with one guy singing and a guitar, sounds like a smooth 70's or 80's love ballad. The chorus has the phrase "heart and soul" at the end of a sentence, kinda drawn out like "hea-art and sooo-ouuul". I don't know whether that's the title, but it is definitely not the following:
Any version of the song that everyone learns on piano
Huey Lewis & the News
T'Pau
David Gray
Joy Division
The Monkeys
The Cleftones
The Yardbirds
Dean Martin
The Narcs
Kenny G
The Incredibles