Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Charleston Jew posted:

I heard this song on a college radio station. It's indie pop-ish and features male vocals at first, followed by female vocals for the rest of the song. The DJ mentioned Jack Nitzsche, I googled him and apparently he was a producer in the 60s. So I'm guessing this was a 60s group... Unless the DJ was talking about the previous song in regards to Jack Nitzsche?? I hope not. The only lyric I remember was the girl singing about getting a job working as an accountant. Very Belle & Sebastian sounding, but probably an actual 60s pop group that influenced B&S. Thanks :shobon:

edit: wait duh, I volunteer at the station, maybe I'll just look through the playlists.
You might have already checked the playlist, but Jack Nitzsche is on the Death Proof soundtrack which just hit rotation. Maybe your song is on there, or maybe he was just talking about the soundtrack.

Or e-mail the DJ. Why not? We like e-mails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

WhereTheFishLives posted:

ok I heard this really silly song through the YTMND random generator in GBS, I thought it might come in hand on my radio show or something. (mp3 sound clips are okay as long as its not the full track?)

.mp3 sound clip: http://content.ytmnd.com/content/4/0/f/40f8c1aa62dae9a6d4d29455ece0d9ef.mp3
I have no idea what this is, but it's incredible

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Popular energetic indie rock song, pretty recent too. Prominently features a high-pitched echoed female voice (possibly multiple voices, hard to tell with the echo) singing something like "danum da danum da danununum" (quickly), sometimes with her pitch falling, and sometimes rising.

edit: it's probably more like doo doo's than danums but the danums show rhythm better

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 27, 2007

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Heard a rap song, assuming it's Southern since I heard "dirty south" mentioned, done over the opening of Big Chief by Professor Longhair

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Lily Allen - Knock 'Em Out
I haven't heard much Lilly Allen but I'm pretty sure her voice isn't male enough

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

PUSSY BARON posted:

Help my identify this instrumental from I think the 60s. What I can remember of it (unless I'm out of my mind and making things up) had a really tremoloy surf-sounding guitar playing 3 of the same notes or chords and then moving up, like G G G A or something really slowly.

I seem to recall reading in a trivia section of some magazine that it was censored on the radio for being too risqué although that might not have happened or maybe it was a different song.
Link Wray - Rumble sounds close

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

IHeartBoobs posted:

I'd like to know the name of this track and who performs it thank you!

http://img75.tistory.com/tag/weareseventeen
I don't know it but you could probably e-mail george@weareseventeen.com. And when you find out I'd like to know

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Wow I heard that album and thought I didn't like them. I guess they get a second chance

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

aunaturale posted:

Longshot:

I went into Indigo (Canadian Borders?) once I think looking for the latest Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings disc. Wasn't there, but the guy suggested another group headed by a women. What I remember about the group is that instead of the women's name being being classy (Sharon Jones) and the band's more easy (Dap Kings) this group has the women called something semi-odd (Spider? Spokker?) and the band called something classy (Orchestra? Quartet?) Recent CD would have been out within a few years

She's an old artist but had a new album out in 2006: Spanky Wilson and the Quantic Soul Orchestra?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ages ago I heard a song on the radio that sort of sounded like Louis Armstrong and included the lyrics "Potato Chips/ Crunch Crunch Crunch/ Potato Chips - I don't want no lunch!" and I seem to remember "mmm... greasy!" but this was a long time ago.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Oncogene posted:

The song was by Slim Gaillard and it's called "Potato Chips".

Here's a video of some other guy singing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLacvKCNv0Q

EDIT: http://www.last.fm/music/Slim+Gaillard/_/Potato+Chips Full track here
That's the song alright, and I'm not sure if that's the artist but my brain might have warped it over the years. Just as good anyway. Thanks!

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

If that doesn't work I submit Len - Steal My Sunshine

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Baby Bowser posted:

http://z0r.de/?id=134

^
DEAR GOD PLEASE HELP ME.

But seriously. It's just so drat GROOVY. I must have it.
this is a music forum

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Hecuba posted:

A friend of mine recently burned me a "homesick for New Orleans" CD that she got thirdhand via one of her professors; it's made up of what sounds like mostly late 50's to 60's pop and R&B and the music is drat amazing. Thing is, all of the tracks are unlabeled and most of this stuff is so obscure that even Google can't identify about half of them.

The one that I'm most curious about is track 9, a very cool mellow pop number; my friend thinks it's Stevie Wonder, but when I plug the lyrics ("Festus [?] believe in justice, not a one-night stand, rode his horse named Daniel down the streets of Cheyenne") into Google not a thing comes up and Stevie is kind of high-profile to be so Google-anonymous. There's also another song that sounds disconcertingly like a reggae cover of "Iko Iko," but some of the lyrics have been changed (they insert the phrase "make you jump in the river," among others). Finally, there's a song that appears to be called "Your Mama Don't Know"- it's uptempo, with a pretty sweet fat horn section and the lyrics are all about how your "mama don't know that I'm dancin' to your song, your mama don't know that I'm dancin' on the street, your mama don't know that I'll be your everything," et cetera and so forth. It's a really catchy number and I'd love to know who does it so I can get more of them!

Edit- and the last track is this amazingly catchy Motown-ish song- "Ooh-eee baby, it's you that I admire, ooh-eee baby, it's you that I desire," etc.
those don't sound like any of the big New Orleans classics I've heard, the closest being Sea Cruise by Frankie Ford for your edit, but only based off of your Ooh-eee's

Good luck, I'd love to know what they are if you find out

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Banano posted:

Heard a song on the radio today (UK) that sounded kind of retro modern with a a big chunky hammond organ riff and catchy vocal hooks. It sounds like something I ought to recognise, but a quick trawl through the itunes store has yielded nothing. Definitely sounded like a current band.

Help me nmd!
I would say Quintron but I wouldn't expect to hear him on the radio

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Dance Move Burglar posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu4qOQqdl_k
The Cars - Let's Go
at about 1:20
Routers - Let's Go 1962
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITHpsqpL46k

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Lil Raphandz posted:

oh godammit. i was starting to feel all snide and get the little "oh REALLY" expression worked up when i got to the Cars link and then you had to go and spoil my fun by actually knowing what's up.
I felt seriously badass right there

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Superrodan posted:

Even better. Trust me, the earlier I can find this beat existing in music, the better it would be for me.
I would have thought it started with cheerleaders and the routers made a song out of it, but wikipedia seems to suggest it's the other way around http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Routers

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

killer.beer.coaster posted:

Every now and then, we all forget a songs name, tune, lyrics, and artist, but remember the plot of the song.

Older ska song about a guy who loves his neighbours daughter, but his father prohibits him seeing her. He is upset, asks why, and after a while the father admits that the daughter is his. The son, upset by this, tells his mother. The mother laughs, and says to go ahead and see the girl, for the sons father is not his real father, and there is no blood bond.

You will be my hero.
it's certainly not ska and it's not really even music but...
http://www.last.fm/music/R.L.+Burnside/_/He+Ain't+Your+Daddy

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Geistling posted:

I found this track on a myspace that was linked here a little while back. It's shoegaze-ish electronica, a little like m83, and starts with some rustling and a synthesized organ sound, then halfway through it gets some percussion and changes from a quiet track into a loud one. I have the song, but I don't know the artist or the name of the song and I really want to know.
That's pretty hard to go by, but have you ever used Musicbrainz?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Scatman John?
Eiffel65 - Blue?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Reposting this from a couple years back. I still haven't found it :( It's my musical white whale.

I want to say the song is from around 2000 +/- a couple years.
I doubt this is right but it wasn't by Mew was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Background: My Dad was in a band in high school. They were pretty good and my grandmother, being impressed with how good they were, saw an ad in a back of a magazine where they could get their own LP made if they sent in a tape of their work and however much money it was.

So, Grandma got the boys together and took them up to the local radio station, as it was the only spot with actual recording equipment in town. So, with one mic and no proper audio equipment, they recorded a handful of songs and sent them off to Jacksonville, Florida, where this company was. After several months, they received their LPs. They were all warped to the point they wouldn't play. However, the original recording survived and Dad found a cassette tape of it last year.

Dad and I have been able to identify every song except one.

This may have been something completely original for the group, but I somewhat have my doubts as they were 14- and 15-year-old kids and had no other original compositions. The rest of the songs range from the late 1950s through 1964.

So, here it is, an unknown song by The Eliminators:

I listen to a lot of surf and instrumental stuff from this era but I don't recognize it. However, it loving rules and I would love to hear that cassette