Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This poppy dance song that has a tune vaguely similar to the boss theme from Sonic 2 in a different key. Female vocals, and the only lyrics I can recall are "Three, two, one, and I'm having fun" which was part of the chorus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Sad Panda posted:

This is a really obscure request. I'm from Manchester but I live in Japan and often when I meet housewives in their 40s or 50s they have on many occasions tried to start singing a song to me that seems to have the lyric 'Manchester and Liverpool' but that's all they can remember and they just lah lah after that. They always try to tell me its by The Beatles but I'm pretty sure it's not. I have 2 possible clues although they may end up being red herrings..

1. One student told me the reason no one knows any more than the Manchester and Liverpool part is the song is actually in French and so of course the students couldn't understand French so don't know it.
2. Another student claimed one of the lyrics was 'kemuri tanabiku machi yo' 煙り棚引く町よ which translates to smoke trail town.

I googled for the second one but found nothing, if anyone could help me out here I'd be very happy.

I ran a search on google, and came up with "Manchester and Liverpool" by French songwriters Andre Popp and Eddy Marnay.

-

This is driving me nuts, because I KNOW it's something I have, but haven't listened to in a year or so.

It's a rock song, maybe prog, probably late '60s or early '70s that has sort of a dirgelike tempo, and the only lyric I recall is the repeated line "oh... by... jiiiiiingo" sung like that, perhaps by a children's chorus.

Also, a different song that I actually really dislike, but I'm curious what it is all the same. Probably a very popular song, as I've heard it many times on the radio, sounds like your average late-'90s radio-friendly rock. The most commonly repeated lyric I'm almost positive is "it's in your heart, it's in your head" or "I stay in your heart, I stay in your head" but it comes out sounding like "a-stinninyerr harr, a-stinninyerr hehr"

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 11, 2007

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

VolumeOverTalent posted:

'Zombie' by The Cranberries?

No, not at all. Should have specified that it's a male vocalist who pretty much sounds like the prototypical alternative rock vocalist, and slurs his words. I wish I could say who it specifically sounds like, but it's too indistinguishable in my memory. It's not a heavy song... something like grunge-influenced acoustic pop. Absolutely inoffensive. It might even be Dave Matthews Band... I couldn't really say, as I only definitely know one song by them.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 11, 2007

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Not a song, but a band I found while browsing some site months ago and forgot about. I figured this didn't really deserve its own thread, and I'm hoping someone can figure out who I'm looking for. Here's what I know:

1. Almost certainly '70s (perhaps late '60s, but I don't think so) hard rock that sounded a bit like Atomic Rooster.
2. Probably British or otherwise European.
3. Reasonably sure the band's name began with "E," but not certain
4. Were possibly recently rereleased on one of those labels that specializies in forgotten obscurities. Is well-known enough to have a page with sound samples on AMG.
5. The cover of what I believe was their first album depicts a fat, female beast-like thing that reminds me of Grendel's mother. Pretty sure it was a black and white drawing.
6. Not Missus Beastly, Gift, or Missing Link

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Rollersnake posted:

Not a song, but a band I found while browsing some site months ago and forgot about. I figured this didn't really deserve its own thread, and I'm hoping someone can figure out who I'm looking for. Here's what I know:

1. Almost certainly '70s (perhaps late '60s, but I don't think so) hard rock that sounded a bit like Atomic Rooster.
2. Probably British or otherwise European.
3. Reasonably sure the band's name began with "E," but not certain
4. Were possibly recently rereleased on one of those labels that specializies in forgotten obscurities. Is well-known enough to have a page with sound samples on AMG.
5. The cover of what I believe was their first album depicts a fat, female beast-like thing that reminds me of Grendel's mother. Pretty sure it was a black and white drawing.
6. Not Missus Beastly, Gift, or Missing Link

Ah, just had this mystery solved. The band is May Blitz.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
OK, almost certainly a late '60s or '70s song, likely British, the vocalist sounding a little bit like Syd Barrett. Pretty sure there's no instrumentation aside from one acoustic guitar.

The chorus is "Nobody knows where we are... nobody knows where we are."

Contains the lyric "everyone talking at once" once or more in the song.

Also "one minute hiiiiiiiiiigh" or "one million hiiiiiiiiigh" or something similar with the "hiiiiiiiiiigh" sung in a falsetto.

Edit: gently caress, found it as soon as I made the post. Kaleidoscope - Flight from Ashiya.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Marillion - When I Meet God

Listen to the first verse, specifically the first two lines. I'm utterly convinced that melody is ripped off from another song, but I don't know if that's because it's so commonplace that it just seems that way, or if it really is taken from another song. I already thought of Fake Plastic Trees, but I don't think that's it. Could very well be a Radiohead song as Marillion were really derivative of them during this phase. My friend agrees it sounds familiar, but thinks it's from some oldie he can't name. Help me out here.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Those are both fairly similar, particularly Secret Garden, but I'm not sure I've heard either song before. Can anyone think of anything closer?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
This might not be appropriate for here, but TV IV doesn't seem to have a corresponding thread. I was in a Mediterranean restaurant, and Arabic music television was playing. There was a strange skit that involved this fat man in a yellow superhero costume running and hiding under I think a restaurant signboard. He peeks around the edge to see if it's safe, comes out from underneath, and is immediately surrounded by buff men in bikini briefs who gyrate while "It's Raining Men" plays. The skit also featured a dog dressed up like the "hero."

Someone please tell me what the hell I was watching.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Somebody tell me the name of the melody that plays when you hit a cat in City Connection. I know I've heard this in cartoons and elsewhere, and it's probably a ragtime standard, or something.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

wikipedia says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Flohwalzer on the city connection page so i guess you didn't try very hard to find it!

I didn't—for some reason I just fully expected it wouldn't be in the Wikipedia article.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Hunkty Krunkty posted:

Not a song per se but what is the name of the album with the crude painting of a cockroach or some sort of bug on the cover? There is a poster here with the cover as his/her avatar. It was pretty experimental stuff and I wanted to give it another listen.

Ween - La Cucaracha? (probably not)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I need help remembering the name of a band.

They're a British folk rock/indie band who I'm quite sure have only one album out (released in 2009, if I remember correctly) and have recently been getting airplay in the US. My girlfriend likes them, and I want to get her their album for Christmas, but I don't remember their name and it would be too obvious if I just asked her. I unfortunately don't remember anything specific about the music itself.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Paperhouse posted:

maybe Mumford and Sons

That's them. Thanks!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Okay, ever since I first heard Radiohead's "My Iron Lung," I've thought that the verse melody was taken from some piece of classical music. I have no idea what that piece of music is, and apparently neither does the internet.

I can hear it in my head being played on violin—maybe not the My Iron Lung melody exactly, but something so similar that I've always thought it was a deliberate reuse of a melody from a well-known piece of music. Am I insane?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Abugadu posted:

Drove me nuts for about 90 seconds since I knew I had it on my MP3 player.

1975, Strange Magic by Electric Light Orchestra. And yeah, they didn't even bother to change the key signature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11A8JZ-RDDo

at :53, and the part with the higher swing up at the end of the phrase is at 2:32

I've actually never heard this song before, but that's interesting just the same. I really wish I knew what I was thinking of.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

AreYouStillThere posted:

I feel like it had just one note, I think played by a piano. It's creepy and ominous as the one note just keeps playing and I think strings probably come in at some point. Probably modern. I know I've seen it on a number of Youtube videos but I can't find it for the life of me and I'm going nuts!

I don't know why it would be this track from the Serial Experiments Lain soundtrack, but it does fit your description exactly.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Was there ever a really bad dance remix/rap version of "The Merry Go Round Broke Down"? I'm honestly not sure if I vaguely remember one, or if it's just something my brain conjured up to annoy me at work today.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm sitting here at work laughing unreasonably hard imagining this video, accompanied by any Radiohead song. Go Slowly. Killer Cars.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Gabriel-Ernest posted:

The following two pieces of soundtrack music have similar melodies:

"A Wonderful Thing" by Richard Wells, used in the TV show Being Human (big spoilers in the comments, so be aware, I guess)
"19th Century Girl" by Steve Wilson, used in the TV show Monty Don's Italian Gardens

Is there a public-domain classical piece they're derived from? If so, what is it?

I'm not a classical expert by any means, but these are both reminding me of something by Philip Glass, I just can't remember specifically what.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 8, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Found it, I think. The closing section of Mishima (43:06):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9rB33JnvyM

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 9, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7oPWDPc_R8

Can anyone identify the music that plays during gameplay? I know the level intro music was ripped from Twin Peaks.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yesssss, thank you, I've been wondering about this for years!

I suppose I should probably start using Shazam, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

dk2m posted:

I can’t for the life of me remember this.

I found it on youtube, and it’s an experimental track. It features a man, I guess basically yelling incoherently. It’s not screams like metal screams, but like straight yells. There’s a bunch of random instruments happening in the background, like completely discordant. I recall atleast drums, guitars, possible sax?

Finally, I think the word Cowboy was somewhere in the title.

Please someone help me find this track, it was one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEZAivzl1Q