Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I heard this song on a college radio station. It's indie pop-ish and features male vocals at first, followed by female vocals for the rest of the song. The DJ mentioned Jack Nitzsche, I googled him and apparently he was a producer in the 60s. So I'm guessing this was a 60s group... Unless the DJ was talking about the previous song in regards to Jack Nitzsche?? I hope not. The only lyric I remember was the girl singing about getting a job working as an accountant. Very Belle & Sebastian sounding, but probably an actual 60s pop group that influenced B&S. Thanks :shobon:

edit: wait duh, I volunteer at the station, maybe I'll just look through the playlists.

Charleston Jew fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

BukkakePocky posted:

drat. This thread can't help me with mine because the only part I know is instrumental. I know it's part of a commercial. Maybe Wendy's or some other fast food chain.

It's kind of a little riff on guitar, maybe acoustic, I don't remember, and then it pauses for 2 sets of 2 hits on the snare. I know that the guitar part reminds me off the bass line from "Break on Through" by The Doors.

The problem is, I don't care so much as what the song's name is as much as where I know it from, from BEFORE the commercial. But I certainly wouldn't mind the name if ANYBODY has a guess.
It's probably Wendy's, it's "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes

Sexy Pants posted:

You might have already checked the playlist, but Jack Nitzsche is on the Death Proof soundtrack which just hit rotation. Maybe your song is on there, or maybe he was just talking about the soundtrack.

Or e-mail the DJ. Why not? We like e-mails.
I would, but there's no permanent DJ for that slot so I don't know who it is. I'll figure it out eventually, though.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Sexy Pants posted:

Popular energetic indie rock song, pretty recent too. Prominently features a high-pitched echoed female voice (possibly multiple voices, hard to tell with the echo) singing something like "danum da danum da danununum" (quickly), sometimes with her pitch falling, and sometimes rising.

edit: it's probably more like doo doo's than danums but the danums show rhythm better
Reminds me of "We Are the Sleepyheads" by Belle and Sebastian.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I'm looking for a song sung in Spanish by a female singer. It's very dancey, poppy, upbeat, and the chorus has a sort of video game sound to it, a few bleeps and bloops. Those sounds are fairly memorable. It's somewhat recent, I believe.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Gayrod Fink posted:

uh ok i am having trouble finding the title to a recent sort of dancey/hip hop track that comes on all the time whenever i turn on the radio to the top 40 stations.

it has that 4/4 clap/kick beat and the girl is singing a thickly accented series of garbled or non english...i know thats not much to go on but its seriously all i can remember until I hear it again
Could it be M.I.A.? I don't listen to Top 40 though, and don't know if she gets a lot of airplay.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

FilthyWalrus posted:

I was watching some MTV channel that actually showed music videos the other day and heard a rap song I actually liked. I can't really tell you much about the lyrics but it had a girl dancing in a club (the song was about her), and a guy who looked like Lil Jon singing it, it might have been him, but I missed the title and artists in it.
Might be this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=EKMt1L4cRTY

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
My roommate played me a couple songs by the same artist, one was apparently about how having a pet dinosaur is a bad idea because it will rip out your chest. I remember the line "it's second nature to them" or something of that nature. The other song was about giraffe, I think. It was sung by a guy, I guess you could say it was indie-ish, sort of upbeat and mostly featuring guitar.

edit: bah, found it. Miniature Tigers.

Charleston Jew fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 3, 2008

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I was listening to a song on the local alternative station here (the kind that plays stuff like RHCP, Linkin Park, Modest Mouse, the bigger "indie" artists, etc) and I heard a song that seemed like a normal alt. rock song, maybe it would earn the label of indie, but the only lyric I remember had something to do with 'little kids playing' or maybe 'hanging out', something along those lines. I'm not even totally sure about this though, but it's worth a shot.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Jive One posted:

Wonderful by Everclear? 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins? Island in the Sun by Weezer? Nostalgia is a huge theme in alt/indie rock so the more specific you can be the better. Did the group sound similar to anyone else and in what way? Any unusual instruments or other peculiarities you can recall?
I had never heard this song on the station before, so no, it's not one of those classic alt. songs that gets overplayed, it's probably newer. Unfortunately the music itself wasn't particularly unique, although that does rule out a few songs.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I heard an electronic song while shopping in H&M. It was pretty standard dancey stuff, and the only lyric I could catch was "I'll tell you what you want to hear", although I could be wrong because some Google searching didn't come up with much. There was a part with just synth/piano, playing just a few chords.

edit: bah, as usual I just found it. The Juan Maclean - One Day.

Charleston Jew fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 4, 2009

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Ivan Drago posted:

Here's an impossible challenge for someone looking to identify a tough song:

I was a bartender at a Mexican restaurant ten years ago. The kitchen radio was always tuned to the local Latin radio station and they played this one particular song over and over. It had repetitive lyrics where the singer basically said the same word over and over again along with the melody of the song. I believe the word was "towa" or something like that. I asked who the group was at the time and one of the cooks said it was Tropical, but there may have been something lost in translation. I've searched on and off for top Mexican hits from the late 90s as well as this Tropical group but nothing has provided a solution yet. It's been ten years since I heard the song so I can't remember many more details. My only hope is that someone knows what I'm referring to off the top of their head as it may have been a huge hit for all I know.
Well I was going to suggest this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Z2dh8dZ-s but apparently this song came out in 2004, which surprised me because the video looks way older than that. I guess you can tell us if it's dancey like this, or if it's just a normal pop/rock song.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Ivan Drago posted:

I commend you for taking up the challenge, but this isn't the song. I can use it to discern some differences though. The one I'm looking for is not at all dancey and doesn't have any sort of club beat. It's more of the norteņo style (accordion, polka beat, etc). I think it's norteņo anyway. I'm not up to speed on my latin music styles. Maybe it was cumbia. In any event, it sounded very much in the style of this type of song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq9sQIhrKPQ (although the song I'm looking for doesn't necessarily sound anything like that rhythmically or melodically).
Yeah, I don't know much about norteņos, but my last suggestion would be El Tao Tao http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCwqCeKbc-8

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I'm glad I was able to help someone with their song, so now I have one of my own. I guess I would describe it as alt-country, it had that old-school country sound but still sounded modern. I could be wrong, but it was definitely mid-tempo rock. The chorus said something like "Home is where I belong with you" and it was repeated a lot. In the middle of the song, there was a part with a man and woman talking, I think each voice came from a different channel. It was playing in a hip store, if that narrows it down (i.e. not Toby Keith).

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
poo poo, I've been googling "home is where I belong" because I wasn't sure of the lyric, I must have tried the full thing but immediately thought it was wrong because there were only 5 results. but yeah, :downs: Thanks.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

A5H posted:

The Conelrad guy is a goon?!
That's bizarre as gently caress. I was on his site the other day and got all his music. Even tried to E-mail him to say thanks, but the inbox was full.
Yeah I've got all of boards of canadas stuff and am really liking heavier stuff like russian circles etc.

I don't think there is a thread after looking through NMD.
Yeah, he's a goon.

And I would just call that music ambient, maybe downtempo? The stuff that is a little more electronic/glitchy could be called IDM (Intelligent Dance Music), although apparently some people don't like that name. somaFM has a good online radio station for this music http://somafm.com/play/cliqhop

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Z3n posted:

This is a long shot but worth a try...

I'm looking for a music video from a band that sounds, according to my friend, like something between the mars volta and the deftones. The video itself had a female vocalist with shoulder length black hair, and the entire video was hypersaturated red. He recalls it being sometime between ~2001 and 2005 that it came out. The vocalist had a very sultry, almost sort of nightclub singer type style. Any guesses?
Not sure about that music description, but it could be "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIxlgcuQRU

kundalini rinsing posted:

There are a LOT of songs with organs, like the entire genre of progressive rock pretty much, and a not insignificant amount of funk, classic rhythm & blues, jazz, psychedelic rock, metal, and baroque pop... Can you record yourself singing or playing the melody? What did the singer's voice sound like (man or woman, high or low pitched, screamy, whiney, gravelly?)? Does it have a certain 'era' to it like if you were to guess would you say it's from the 60s or 70s (in which case you're fighting an uphill battle) or 80s or now?

For the record, the first thing i thought of was A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum
Considering that he said he heard it on an alternative rock station a few times, it's probably not going to be a really old song or some obscure prog song...

Charleston Jew fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 29, 2010

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
^^^ Are there anymore details you can give us? Like, a rough description of the genre (rock, R&B, etc).

OK, I have my own now. I heard this in Forever 21, I would describe it as electropop, so it wasn't a hardcore techno song but it was still dancey. The chorus consisted of a guy singing something like "she's leaving it" over and over again. I know that wasn't it, but it was a few words, I think 'she' was one of them. Later in the song he sings about how a guy had hurt this girl.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

CaptainMcArrr posted:

Okay this is driving me insane, I heard a song the other day and I can't find it.

It was kinda folky (maybe), had a female singer, her voice was a bit raspy I think, and there might have been some whistling. It was a really catchy song, I think.

Help!
edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros - home?

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

The other day at the gym I heard a song on what I assume is either a Top 40 or current pop radio station. The only thing I have to go by is that the chorus sounds almost identical to the chorus from Rich Mullins' "Awesome God":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lvTsn32pWg

(apologies for the horrid song)

Any guesses?
That's an interesting way to describe a song. Airplanes, maybe??

Charleston Jew fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 23, 2010

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Drevoak posted:

Man, this is pretty difficult. Song popped into my head but I barely remember it. I think I heard it on the radio 1-3 years ago. Essentially it is a lot like Fergie's Glamorous, its slower and sounds relaxing. I believe there is just a girl singing in the song, at some points it is almost like she is talking since its very slow. I'm fairly positive the song was about love/relationship. I still remember a little tune from the song, there site that lets you make song/tune?

Sorry if it sounds really vague, its all I can remember.

There a site I can search for like smooth r&b songs by a female artist in the past 10 years?
Don't know if you're still hanging around this thread, but for some reason "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis popped into my head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzo-EL_62fQ&ob=av3e

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

gypsyshred posted:

Ok, I've been trying to remember a band, but the name escapes me. Its fronted by a duo of girls, who play guitar and sing in harmony. Its not Tegan and Sarah, and they have a heavy jazz influence, but its still indy pop music. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
The Ditty Bops, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

CurbStomp posted:

While I was in the gym the other day, I heard a song that was hardcore but also seemed to be autotuned. The singer was using clean vocals throughout much of it. I know that not much to go on but any help would be appreciated, as its been driving me nuts.
Something like this? Not a lot of clean vocals though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6kBlC-6_LM