Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Pop / rock song with a distinct, almost zydeco accordion bit in it, maybe from the 80s. Very ubiquitous popular song, I feel like it's been on several comedy movie soundtracks. I've looked up all sorts of lists of pop songs with accordions in it, and I can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Good guesses, but none are it. I was able to play what I remember the accordion (maybe melodica) melody as on the guitar, here it is, hope it helps:
http://codyclarke.com/mystery.mp3

It might not be the exact key—it may be a whole step up or down from how I remember.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

SebAndSeb posted:

Walk of Life..?

Yes!!! Thank you so much!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Kangra posted:

I heard a song that sort of sounds like Stevie Wonder, or at least rather similar in musical style. The only thing I really recall is that the chorus has a part that 'subdivides' the beat (not sure if this has a technical term, but I mean a section where the same note is repeated a half/third/fourth as long as might be 'expected') so there are a lot of short syllables coming quickly. Musically I think it's mostly descending tones for that section. Sorry I can't give more but I've heard it a few times recently and that pattern kind of stuck in my head.

e: It's not 'Sir Duke', though the bit just before the chorus is a bit like what I'm talking about.

Maybe 'Up For The Down Stroke' by Parliament? Or 'What is Hip' by Tower of Power?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Omnikin posted:

Heard it on a dying college radio station yesterday, no DJ and no show scheduling means they're just shuffling the ENTIRE station playlist and it leads to some great songs, like this one. It also means they don't have the track listing up anymore, since noone is in to maintain it.

Female fronted punk, more towards pop punk/easy punk. Super high voice, very clear & almost breath-y. Only remember two words as the chorus started, sounded like "go easy". It was taken from a live album (I can't imagine the station would risk using some rip of a Youtube concert vid or anything, so I assume it has to be an official live album); the crowd was super into it and singing along. In the bridge it was only bass/drums and the singer thanked the bassist for keeping the groove or thereabouts.

Vaguely remember the pre-chorus having the guitar drop out for just bass/drums, kept the tempo up and then everything came back together for the chorus. Ugh. I knew I should have stopped in some random parking lot and downloaded Shazam before it finished.

Tsunami Bomb maybe? They have a live album. Give them a listen and either her voice will be instantly recognizable as the one or it won't be.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

knuthgrush posted:

this is gonna be hella vague and i'm so sorry but i was under duress when i heard it and now it's driving me nuts.

i was in a harley dealership bathroom nearly falling over from heat exhaustion and i heard the riff. clean guitar (maybe bass), no distortion. even time, no percussion. if i had to do the sound it'd be like "dun dun dun dundundun dundundun dundundun" where the note progression was "down up down upupup downdowndown downdowndown". clean vocals, i only recall the word "she" as the opening word for one of the lines, which isn't super helpful. was a slower song for sure. i don't remember any crescendo to the song where they kicked in distortion or maybe not even percussion but i maybe only heard half the song so that might not be accurate. it was mellow at least.

would've been probably mid-90s grunge/alternative/rock. probably lumped in the same pile as sound garden, stp, alice in chains, and all that stuff. i'm almost certain the voice wasn't chris cornell or anything whiny. it was on some station that was also playing our lady peace and pearl jam.

terrible description, i know. it's all i can remember from the terrible moment. i've been combing alternative playlists on spotify. please send help.

EDIT: thinking back to it, maybe it's more in the lane of fuel and days of the new? that kinda post-grunge thing? i'm probably making it more murky. bottom line no overdrive/compression/distortion that i recall, minimal percussion if any. clean singing. still hella 90s sounding.

Green Day - She?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

knuthgrush posted:

sadly, no. the riff is more noodly and way more slow. maybe a slide involved. i could definitely see the comparison based on my alliteration, though.

These probably aren't it, but just to eliminate some ubiquitous 90s 'she' usage:

Matchbox 20 - 3AM?
Ben Folds Five - Brick?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

knuthgrush posted:

better man is too tinny, the guitar was more muted. it also blasts into a crescendo. this tune was mellow for at least the first maybe 2min, i didn't catch the rest after that. too much percussion and speed in sour girl. both bands were definitely in whatever playlist they were on.

all the songs it reminds me of just aren't quite right. i'm gonna be up there again tomorrow. i might ask what they use for their music. today it was classic rock instead.

EDIT: the tone of the guitar was a lot like that of opening water's edge by seven mary three but the notes/speed/etc was off and it didn't pick up like that song did. i also think spotify's results are getting muddy because i keep looking up all these 90s alt/grunge bands i remember and the "radio" playlists are just coalescing to those bands. like all these suggestions are squarely in the genre but the song was just kinda different.

The Verve Pipe - The Freshmen?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

yaffle posted:

I'm looking for a piano piece, almost certainly by Mozart, it starts slow and simple and then becomes more complicated (but not super complicated about two minutes in. My mother, who was not a really accomplished pianist, used to play it and would always gently caress up the hard(er) part.

This seems like Moonlight Sonata, but I figure you've already gone through the most popular Mozart, Beethoven, et al. pieces and listened to them.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

neoaxd posted:

https://voca.ro/1kgNhZBYrWWl

This little weird thing. Shazam and other identification apps have all come up short. Any help would be appreciated, it's been bugging me for a while!

Is it an old game show theme? Sounds vaguely familiar

Edit: Figured it out, it's Tic Tac Dough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLaiape09cY

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

neoaxd posted:

you are an absolute godsend

Never knew watching GSN during the mid-00s would come in handy some day!