Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

blueoxide posted:

I heard a cover of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" at a Chipotle the other day. It seemed to be a bit slower and a lot darker, it had an almost haunting feel to it. It was really good and I have been looking all over for it but can't even find who it could be by. Please help.

BMI lists the following as having recorded it, besides Johnny Cash himself: Hoyt Axton, David Allan Coe, Ray Conniff, Little Jimmy Dempsey, Shelby Lynne, Carl Perkins, Bill Purcell, the Ray Conniff Singers.

And Wiki says this: "In 2006 Levi Strauss & Co. created three advertisements using the song, featuring cover versions by Megan Wyler and Adem Ilhan."

Dunno if this helps, but I tried. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

blueoxide posted:

I appreciate that, thank you!
What is BMI? Sounds like I would probably use whatever it is ALOT.

Thanks again!

http://www.bmi.com/
http://www.ascap.com/index.html
http://www.sesac.com/index.aspx?flash=1
http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

In the liner notes, after the credits for whoever wrote the song, it should say the performing rights organisation they're a part of. For example, grabbing the nearest CD to me (which is Tori Amos' Strange Little Girls), the first credit says "New Age written by Lou Reed, published by Screen Gems EMI Ltd. (BMI)"

If you don't have liner notes, just go through and stick the person's name in all of 'em if you have to. As a kid I wondered what those acronyms I always saw in liner notes meant, and after looking them up, I realised I could see huge lists of songs that artists had written, which I found amazing for some reason. :)

Incidentally, as noted -- Johnny Cash's songwriting was through BMI, at least for that particular song.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

themachine posted:

Ok, I need help finding a song. I know it is an oldies type song, I only hear it on my local oldies radio station, I'm guessing 30's to 50's somewhere. I don't know the artist or title, just some of the lyrics. Part of it goes "Saturday night and I ain't got nobody, I got some money cause I just got paid. Oh how I wish I had some chick to talk to, in an awful way"

I keep hearing this about once a day on the radio at my work, and I really want to know who performs it and the song's name. Thanks.

This is Another Saturday Night by Sam Cooke. Cat Stevens covered it, too, in the 70s.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

bobthenameless posted:

I am not a big country listener at all, but earlier today I was listening to a top 40 country type of station, and I heard one sappy sort of song talking about the little moments he spends with his wife and how it's all the little things she does that amazes him, and she doesn't even realize it. One part I remember is the wife was baking a birthday cake and burned it. It was very sweet song and I'd really like to hear it again :3:

Little Moments by Brad Paisley. :)

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Artem posted:

I cant find this song at all, but its very "militaristic" with drums and a very epic feeling. The chorus is like "I am the makings of a bomb...bang bang, bang bang". I googled those lyrics and various combinations but I cant find it at all.

This may be going out on a limb a bit, but the first thing that came to mind was Feuer Frei! by Rammstein.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Artem posted:

No, no it's not German in anyway, and it's not that song. It sounds like any mainstream band, it was on radio so its something most likely very mainstream. Are there any websites where you can put in partial lyrics and find a song? Google isn't helping me

Looking more, it appears to be Bomb by The Payolas.

See here.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Cockrings! posted:

I was sitting in the car this morning and I heard some sort of awesome chick rock.

The only lines I remember are "Love will make it right" and "We don't have to fight" with close to the ending being a long repeated bit ending with "Love will make it right" again. If that's not enough I can try listening to the radios again. :(

My guess is Attitude by Christian rock band Fireflight. Lyrics are here.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Funnylink posted:

There was a music video that played during the human giant marathon of a newer song with 4 people playing in a band that was cell shaded. The song goes "we don't care about the, only about the" and I cant even find it from the lyrics because it was hard to understand the lyrics on my cars crappy speaker system.

I think you want Young Folks by Peter, Bjorn and John. Here's a Youtube link.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Shadrach posted:

I was listening to the radio last night and a caller requested a song I didn't catch the name of. It was an instrumental cover of what sounded like the theme to the Good the Bad and the Ugly, it was fast as gently caress and the guitar shredded like mad, I loved it, and now I can't find it. :(

It wasn't off this album, was it?

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Also, a different song that I actually really dislike, but I'm curious what it is all the same. Probably a very popular song, as I've heard it many times on the radio, sounds like your average late-'90s radio-friendly rock. The most commonly repeated lyric I'm almost positive is "it's in your heart, it's in your head" or "I stay in your heart, I stay in your head" but it comes out sounding like "a-stinninyerr harr, a-stinninyerr hehr"

It's not "Love Like Winter" by AFI, is it? Beginning of the chorus is "It's in the blood / it's in the blood / I met my love before I was born" but the first time I heard it I wasn't sure what they were saying. :) Might be way too recent, but it WAS a single.

Bit of a longshot but eh, figured I'd toss that out :)

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Cola posted:

Okay, 2 things:

- On the radio at work today I heard a techno/dancey song with a melody that's whistled. The melody has a kind of downward direction. I'm hoping it's recent or something so you guys will know what I'm saying.

Is this perhaps "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn and John again? There's a video clip earlier in the thread.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Lil Danzig posted:

So, uh, does anybody ever thank anyone in these threads or is it just a 'wham-bam-thank you ma'am' kind of thing? I'm beginning to feel pretty unappreciated. :smith:

I don't know, I've been thanked several times.

But thank you for the people who haven't said it. :unsmith:

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

fucnluc posted:

Will somebody be so generous as to inform me of the song on this ytmnd: http://batmanvsshark.ytmnd.com/

I remember I used to have this on mp3 a few years ago, I think it was from a movie/soundtrack of some sorts.

Thanks in advance.

The comments on it lead to "The Escape" by Craig Armstrong.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

subscreet posted:

Thanks dude, I actually heard it on the radio a few minutes ago as I was driving home. One of the vocalists definitely sounds female.

Yes, there is a female guest vocalist on that song. Victoria Bergsman is her name.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Elohssa Gib posted:

This is pretty vague, but it is a song that is usually put in the background of movie trailers for family-ish comedies. The most recent preview that had it that I know of is the beginning of the trailer for 'The Brothers Solomon'. It's an upbeat song and the words I think go something like "I know a place/way" and makes me think of Offspring.

I just watched a trailer for that movie, dunno if it's the same one, but the song they play is Bang the Drum All Day.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

junyatwin posted:

Can anyone help me identify this song? It's been driving my wife and I nuts. We got it on a mix CD an ex boyfriend made her, she's always loved the song, but it had no liner notes.

Edit: Duh, I can type... I swear. Link is fixed.

Sounds like maybe Blue Man Group. I could be wrong, but that's the only place I've ever heard that particular sound. I'm not real familiar with their music, though, so I'm not able to guess at a particular song.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Artem posted:

Okay this is a pretty vague one, but its a hip hop song with a female lead singing about like, lifting up her skirt? I think she also goes on about other things she likes. The song is pretty much about sex I think (oh yeah and it has like, Ooohs and Ahhs or something like that?)

Maybe Oops (Oh My) by Tweet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb37Nh_Sg4g

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

I'm quite certain this is NOT the song you're looking for, but the first thing that comes to mind is Nature Boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0XJCJ1Srw

Edit: Unless maybe it's a cover.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

From the movie: Babel.
The last part of this video what is the song? After she comes out of the bathroom?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX-ay8E0Qss

That is Smile by Aimi Yuguchi. :)

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

You can hear a clip of it on her website:
http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/aimi/release.html

But other than that, I have no idea.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Well! There you go. :)

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

The Human Cow posted:

2) A girl in her 20s is walking around in an old building singing. At one point she's sitting in the windowsill singing. She might have had on glasses, too. The song is apparently calm and not very upbeat. We think it came out around the late 90s.

I think that you're looking for, perhaps, Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories - Stay (I Missed You). Look right to you?

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Onion Head Cat posted:

Does anyone know a ska/reggae type song with lyrics something along the lines of"Tell them you're sorry but there's a way to change your wrong to right" then "It's a struggle, every day we're stressing", and the chorus goes "everybody's fine, we're alright"(something like that I'm really not sure). It was on a mix cd with The Expendables and Sublime, if that helps with it's genre.

You want Feeling Alright by Rebelution. Their website is here.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

There is a song towards the end of rushmore that has been driving me crazy for years. I have listened to clips of the entire soundtrack and it doesnt seem like its even on there.

I belive it plays while Max is wearing goggles and riding around in a go cart. It only plays for a short time and the lyrics just say "you are forgiven" while high pitched voices chant "forgiven" in the background. Its a pretty upbeat song.

I'm thinking A Quick One While He's Away by The Who. It's a sort of medley song, and the last part is called "You Are Forgiven". IMDB says it's on the soundtrack, so I'll go with that.

Edit: Wiki says it's a different version of the song (the one on Rock and Roll Circus) which is actually used in the film, which may be one reason why it doesn't sound right to you.
Edit2: Beaten, but I have more info? Haha.

Sweetwater Kill fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 3, 2008

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The song I can't ID had a man describing how he went on a date with an older woman, how they drove up into the hills about LA in her expensive car. Then the women climbs all over him while explaining some sort of life advice about relaxing and living in the moment. It was spoken word piece, maybe some singing (or more melodic speaking) on the chorus where he repeats the woman's advice. Vaguely ethereal electronica-type backing, if I recall right.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?

That would be Hey Pretty (Drive-By 2001 Mix) by Poe. The man reading is Mark Z. Danielewski (her brother), and he's reading an excerpt from his book House of Leaves.

Edit: Well, it could be, at any rate -- it's definitely the song Medium Bi is referring to.

Sweetwater Kill fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 3, 2008

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Bingo! Ah, goonpower in action...

Thanks much to the both of y'all.

PS: is your username based of the Rasputina song, or is it an earlier reference?

No problem, and yes, it's after the Rasputina song. :)

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

'On a Friday' by Blaqk Audio. They're an electronic act by a couple of the guys from AFI.

D'oh! I should have gotten that one. I've heard that song like a million times. :blush:

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

KILLA CAM posted:

No, no, I don't mean that it was a parody band -- I'm saying that I wonder if the scene was specifically set up to be referential to a scene in Suburbia that also featured D.I. providing the accompaniment to a sexual act.

I totally believe it was D.I., those guys were/are massive sleazebags.

Wikipedia says: "D.I. played a few songs in the adult film Little Runaways, released by Punx Productions."

So there you go?

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

yoyoman posted:

I'm trying to remember that music video(maybe just a youtube video) where its just an old old computer and the words are being typed out as they are sung. rghhh

Is it not "Still Alive"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxYfMRtun5w

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Twenty Pence Piece posted:

This should be easy. I hope.

Its a cover of "psycho killer" by Talking Heads. Its slower, I think it's acoustic, and the singer is male and sounds quite Kirt Cobain-y and grungey. It may be on a soundtrack to some film, or in an advert, because its in my head and its not something you'd hear on the radio.

Google couldn't help me :(

"The song has been covered by bands such as Brand New, Velvet Revolver, Rubin Steiner, Cage the Elephant, Carry The Zero, Local H, Barenaked Ladies, Phish, Antiseen, The Hypertonics, Moxy Früvous, Terrorvision, The Flying Pickets, Rico, The Faint, Bishop Allen, Farryl Purkiss and The Kransky Sisters, in an operatic version by Kate Miller-Heidke, and in Polish as "Psychobójca" by Mariusz Lubomski."

I don't know enough about most of these artists to make a very good guess, but I suppose it's a start.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Redpill357 posted:

It was a song my art teacher played one day in class. The only part I remember was the singer counting, and saying what each number represented. The only ones I remember are;

"Eight, eight, I forgot what eight was for."

and

"Ten, ten. Ten is for everything, everything, everything, everything!"

This is Kiss Off by Violent Femmes.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Immolat1on posted:

I heard a song on a local rock station and I want to say it was by Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins or something but I cant find it and all I can remember is part of the chorus where the singer goes something like:

..and im feeeeeeeelin' (insert lyrics said pretty fast here) ba ba ba baaaaaaa.

it really is a horrible description but its all I've got.

Sounds like it might be Even Flow by Pearl Jam.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

IntoTheNihil posted:

Heard a song on Sirius hard attack earlier.

Melodic Death/Deathcore sounding

Not Killswitch Engange

Had tons of fast riffing and double bass

Has a part where the vocalist said ABSOLUTION

Had a few semi clean parts (chorus I think but maybe not)

Any ideas? I know that's super vague but the song was fairly generic.

Now, bear with me, because I haven't heard any of these songs, and I don't know that any of them qualify as melodic death or deathcore, but here are some guesses:

Trivium - "Rain"
Stratovarius - "Soul of a Vagabond"
Shadows Fall - "Haunting Me Endlessly"
Dew-Scented - "Cities of the Dead"

Probably didn't help much, but hey, I tried. :haw:

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

RM0099 posted:

I know some goons like classical, but this is a shot in the dark.

Back in high school orchestra we had a piece we played. The composer's name has left me, but I can still here the song in my head.

Anyways, the theme behind the song is:

You're floating down a river, and during this time the song has arpeggios going up and down. About halfway through the song, you float past a wedding on the bank and it turns from a minor key into a major key, and has really happy like music (think wedding music). After you pass the wedding, the song returns to the original river theme.

I can't for the life of me remember what this is, but it is a fairly common/popular sheet music song. Goons, help me with your collective brain power.

Are you possibly referring to Handel's Water Music?

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

scheherezade posted:

This one should be easy. It was some hip hop/RnB song I heard from a friend. I don't remember much, but it had a meal lead singer talking about some girl (named shawty?) and getting drunk in some club. T-Paine also sang a good part (autotuned) but he wasn't the lead voice. Every once in a while you can hear a male chorus shouting "oh!" in the background. if anyone can find this, I'd really appreciate it.

I was going to say "are you sure it wasn't "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')"?" but that's a T-Pain song mainly, so I am gonna guess Plies ft. T-Pain - "Shawty". Note that I have not actually heard this song, those are just my best guesses. :D

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

minute posted:

Okay, I remember hearing a song from a long, long time ago. It was kind of countryish or singer/songwriter style. The overall gist is the guy is talking to some mysterious cowboy or something. In the refrain, the cowboy tells him the meaning of life is "fast cars, cheap whiskey and easy women" or something to that effect.

I've been trying to remember/find the song for the past few days, and with what little I remember it's been really hard. Turns out there's a lot of songs about cars, whiskey and women.

This is a Tom T. Hall song called Faster Horses (The Cowboy and the Poet) off his 1975 album Faster Horses.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

JesusQuintana posted:

This is a really, really well known song performed by I believe a really well known artist and I'm gonna kick myself when I know it, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

It's a love song sang by a female, fairly old, say maybe 15-20 years.

Basically the chorus consists of a long "Whyyyyyyyyyyy-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ahhhhh" and then I'm pretty sure it's followed up with "did you tell me it's over?" or something similar. It's set to a really nice piano beat.

Obvious answer: "Why" by Annie Lennox.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

jt6879 posted:

Ok I know this is incredibly vague but its really all I've got until I hear the song again.

I think one of the lyrics is "Come on little baby, take me by the hand."

The singer voice goes way way up at the word "Take" I'm pretty sure its from the late 60's maybe early 70's. Its a relatively popular classic rock song, and I've even heard it in an insurance commercial lately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me up the wall

Argh. Now it's driving ME up the wall. I thought I'd had it - "Black Water" by the Doobie Brothers has a line that goes "I'd like to hear some funky Dixieland / Pretty mama, come and take me by the hand" - but I don't think he goes up on the word "take". My sound isn't working right now or I'd check.

It's all I've got though. drat you.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

Shenadigins posted:

Ok so it's a catchy indie pop tune that came out maybe a year or two ago. there is whistling, a simple 4 note melody, and then the chorus goes something like "and we don't care about the young boys.. "

Thread favorite "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn and John.

Sweetwater Kill fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

mull posted:

trying to find a song that came out a few years ago (2005-ish). the singer is a dude that sings with kind of a high pitch at some points. he pretty much bitches about how his girlfriend left him or it's about how lonely he is. he's only known for this one song and his artist name is his full name (i think). it's not the "f you i don't want you back" song.

It's not "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, is it?