Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Keep looking!

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Klyith posted:

oh god why

There's always one, and everyone knows them.

tjones
May 13, 2005
lol, oof

Worth linking:
https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2024/03/29/4

And if you use Arch you should read:
https://archlinux.org/news/the-xz-package-has-been-backdoored/
and
https://security.archlinux.org/ASA-202403-1

quote:

Summary
=======

The package xz before version 5.6.1-2 is vulnerable to arbitrary code
execution.

Resolution
==========

Upgrade to 5.6.1-2.

# pacman -Syu "xz>=5.6.1-2"

The problem has been fixed upstream in version 5.6.1.

quote:

Impact
======

The malicious code path does not exist in the arch version of sshd, as
it does not link to liblzma.

However, out of an abundance of caution, we advise users to avoid the
vulnerable code in their system as it is possible it could be triggered
from other, un-identified vectors.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lol, but it's also depressing that there's not really a way to get testing infrastructure to find this stuff out until some gormless idiot using arch linux steps right into a cow pie. I remember reading... a linus email? about this kind of situation about kernel testing RCs. God bless you bleeding edge rolling releasers

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hifi posted:

Lol, but it's also depressing that there's not really a way to get testing infrastructure to find this stuff out until some gormless idiot using arch linux steps right into a cow pie. I remember reading... a linus email? about this kind of situation about kernel testing RCs. God bless you bleeding edge rolling releasers
Did you not notice that the APT deliberately introduced a new testing suite to turn off fuzzing?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The threat actor used sockpuppets to run lowkey harassment campaign to encourage the xz maintainer to accept a co-maintainer, became the co-maintainer, then systematically sabotaged the project's fuzzing, regression testing and security response infrastructure.

It was only noticed because a PostgreSQL developer was trying to profile changes on an idle system, wondered why sshd was using so much CPU time and then got suspicious when the perf traces couldn't attribute samples to any known function in liblzma.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Did you not notice that the APT deliberately introduced a new testing suite to turn off fuzzing?

I am on Team Fedora :tipshat:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I like the part where OpenSSH sshd doesn't link against liblzma anyways, but Debian et al. use a patched version that links against libsystemd which links against liblzma.

Didn't Debian learn after 2008 not to mess with sshd?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

hifi posted:

I am on Team Fedora :tipshat:
APT is for advanced persistent threat, not the apt package manager ;)

Edit: there's all kinda extra legwork this person or entity did, this is from HN (ugh):

quote:

Fascinating. Just yesterday the author added a `SECURITY.md` file to the `xz-java` project.

> If you discover a security vulnerability in this project please report it privately. *Do not disclose it as a public issue.* This gives us time to work with you to fix the issue before public exposure, reducing the chance that the exploit will be used before a patch is released.
And:

quote:

Out of curiosity I looked at the list of followers of the account who committed the backdoor.

Randomly picked https://github.com/Neustradamus and looked at all their contributions.

Interestingly enough, they got Microsoft to upgrade ([0],[1]) `vcpkg` to liblzma 5.6.0 3 weeks ago.

[0] https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/issues/37197

[1] https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/pull/37199

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 30, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hifi posted:

what would you have had the testing infrastructure do, in this case?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

what would you have had the testing infrastructure do, in this case?

I am wishing for a magic wand you can wave and catch all the software bugs ever created

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
There's a lot of interesting components to this whole debacle, but one part that stands out is that the malicious autoconf m4 macro only exists in the upstream release tarball (still hosted on GitHub) but not in the source repo. So anyone looking at a post-configure build of the tarball would see the injected malicious source, but anyone cloning from git wouldn't. And yet the two are "close enough" that missing autoconf bits may easily be excused by someone casually comparing the two.

Going forward I think a reasonable policy change on Debian's side would be that any upstream project that uses git or similar revision control (which is most everything now) should always be built from a clone/checkout of an upstream repo tag or commit id, and not from separately packaged source tarball, to ensure that exactly this scenario doesn't happen. Not that you can't have bad actors on the distribution package maintainer side either.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I like the part where OpenSSH sshd doesn't link against liblzma anyways, but Debian et al. use a patched version that links against libsystemd which links against liblzma.

Didn't Debian learn after 2008 not to mess with sshd?

lol if this decision was influenced by the same group

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Less Fat Luke posted:

Edit: there's all kinda extra legwork this person or entity did, this is from HN (ugh):

And:

Not going to lie, this is pretty impressive.

We've been worrying for years about supply chain attacks and other malicious actors in FOSS, with relatively few examples to point at. This feels like all those worries materialised: a kernel-adjacent project that will allow some dude behind a VPN to become co-maintainer, and poor CI practices allowing a mismatch between the git and the released artifacts. We'll be referencing this case for decades.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh yeah it's gonna be a hugely valuable case study. At my last job we were rolling out supply chain integrity stuff around the Ruby community and getting people onboard was like pulling teeth - this should make it a lot easier to explain why it's more important.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

quote:

We even worked with him to fix the valgrind issue (which it turns out now was caused by the backdoor he had added),” the Ubuntu maintainer said. "He has been part of the xz project for two years, adding all sorts of binary test files, and with this level of sophistication, we would be suspicious of even older versions of xz until proven otherwise."

This might be a dumb question but why do there have to be "binary test files", rather than sample data generated from testing code?

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 30, 2024

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
xz is a compression algorithm. I believe the xz files containing the object to be injected were part of the tests to see if the built code could uncompress it (and then compare the output to a hash of the uncompressed file) or see if a recompressed version of the file was as compressed or better than some previously recorded result.

You need some sample files to be able to test for correctness and that there have been no performance regressions, but those types of files are expected to be totally benign.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 30, 2024

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

waffle iron posted:

xz is a compression algorithm. I believe the xz files containing the object to be injected were part of the tests to see if the built code could uncompress it (and then compare the output to a hash of the uncompressed file) or see if a recompressed version of the file was as compressed or better than some previously recorded result.

You need some sample files to be able to test for correctness and that there have been no performance regressions, but those types of files are expected to be totally benign.

Right, what I'm asking is - can't test code generate these files rather than having strange binaries checked in?

Have your test code make a large file, then test your compression code on it. That way your test data source code is also checked in in and verifiable?

I don't work on this kinda stuff and my knowledge is limited, so wondering if that kinda thing is viable

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
In theory you could test performance of hard to compress data by creating a file from /dev/random or similar, but that would not be representative of real world performance. And isn't the level of repeatability that you need in testing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

mila kunis posted:

Right, what I'm asking is - can't test code generate these files rather than having strange binaries checked in?

Have your test code make a large file, then test your compression code on it. That way your test data source code is also checked in in and verifiable?

I don't work on this kinda stuff and my knowledge is limited, so wondering if that kinda thing is viable

How would your test code generate realistic compression targets like lena.jpg tubgirl.jpg?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
One final point. Automated testing of software works on highly crafted scenarios with a well defined previously computed result and each test case relies on as little of the target platform as possible. In my bad example of using target system randomness to test, how do you even know the platform's kernel gives you sufficiently random output?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

mila kunis posted:

This might be a dumb question but why do there have to be "binary test files", rather than sample data generated from testing code?

Outliers from bug reports is one of them. Organic data rarely matches test cases.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mila kunis posted:

I think your test binaries want to be things with "weird" attributes that are either difficult for your algorithm or hammer on edge cases that might break it. The compression dictionary uses 32-bit words, here's a file full of 31-bit patterns. A bug 5 years ago would cause a crash if your file had a particular stretch of zeros, so this one makes sure we don't regress that. Stuff like that.

(I also know nothing about xz data compression. But in a similar area, lossy music compression, there is the concept of "problem samples" -- particular bits of music with qualities that are bad for the algorithms. The people who make and test audio codecs have a bunch of standard ones they've found over the years that they pass around in flac format.)

IMO the culprit to focus on isn't the test files, it's that the standard build system in unix uses an ancient script lang that's obfuscated even when you aren't using it to stealth a vulnerability into sshd.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The two test files are bad-3-corrupt_lzma2.xz and good-large_compressed.lzma. The first one sounds like the sort of thing where it's easier to ship a custom crafted file than generating it on the fly?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Heck, it even had bad in the name, what more do you want?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Even seemingly regular things can break software. So testing as many different things as possible is the path. Remember when Dreamweaver would crash when opening a file that was an exact multiple of 8KiB? That was a fun one.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

hifi posted:

This was first discovered in debian sid, and I don't think this ever got into Arch. Even the arch security notice is overly cautious. Not only does sshd not link against libsystemd on arch, my understanding is the payload is only packaged in .rpm and .deb formats, it literally never went out to arch users at all. They rebuilt from the repo source, but I've seen at least one person say the 'fixed' and 'bad' binaries are identical anyway.

That said, everybody needs to (and most already are) looking at how to roll everything back before this person got involved two years ago. There's hundreds and hundreds of commits that are all questionable.

This was I think even more lucky than people realize too. It sounds like libsystemd was removing the dependency on liblzma soon, so there was a window here for the big debian & fedora spring releases to hit the sweet spot, and they probably rushed things too much and got caught.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 1, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

whats the best thing to put on a 12 inch touchscreen? its mainly gonna be a media device sort of thing. i just want something thats got tablet / touch screen use in mind

how does speech to text work? is it built in or w/e? i prefer to dictate my shitposts etc

Worf fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 2, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Worf posted:

how does speech to text work? is it built in or w/e? i prefer to dictate my shitposts etc
I don't think any of the desktop environments have built in support for modern transcription engines yet, but there is software that uses vosk or whisper that works pretty well.

I was using the program nerd dictation, which is designed to just run in the background with a keyboard shortcut and generate keyboard events, for some stuff before and I haven't tested it since switching to wayland but I think it does work with wayland.

There may be something more convenient by now.

(Actually apparently they added some transcription support using vosk in kde 6 but just to kmail which is stupid)

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 2, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

hifi posted:

Pretty amazing how mad some people get about Arch Linux. Who hurt you?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ubuntu works very poorly with screen autorotate on a tablet / detached 2 in 1

i went around to some forums etc but people's solutions didnt work so im probably gonna shelve the idea of using ubuntu on this for now and see if windows handles that well, until i can maybe find a distro that handles more of the basic functionality better

the hardware itself is really awesome for the price though, and the form factor is surprisingly useable as a tablet. (latitude 7210 2-1). maybe not for most people i guess but my hands are big enough to palm a basketball and i use my ipad mini in one hand like a phone lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Worf posted:

ubuntu works very poorly with screen autorotate on a tablet / detached 2 in 1

i went around to some forums etc but people's solutions didnt work so im probably gonna shelve the idea of using ubuntu on this for now and see if windows handles that well, until i can maybe find a distro that handles more of the basic functionality better

the hardware itself is really awesome for the price though, and the form factor is surprisingly useable as a tablet. (latitude 7210 2-1). maybe not for most people i guess but my hands are big enough to palm a basketball and i use my ipad mini in one hand like a phone lol

It's gotta be a DE issue more than a Distro issue surely? Which DE were you using?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ziasquinn posted:

It's gotta be a DE issue more than a Distro issue surely? Which DE were you using?

GNOME comes with it off the ubuntu website, I didn't change anything other than trying the troubleshooting steps I saw on multiple posts addressing the same issue.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just mean that I wonder if KDE handles auto rotation easier? Surprised (barely) that GNOME the one that is trying to capture touch interface users would suck at it

fwiw I love gnome but recognize its failures

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a way to dynamically control GPU fan speed in Linux? Specifically it's for an RTX 4070 Super. I can manually set the fan speeds using the NVIDIA control panel, but I'd rather set an actual fan curve instead of just having it on jet engine mode during heavy load times.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DizzyBum posted:

Is there a way to dynamically control GPU fan speed in Linux? Specifically it's for an RTX 4070 Super. I can manually set the fan speeds using the NVIDIA control panel, but I'd rather set an actual fan curve instead of just having it on jet engine mode during heavy load times.

green with envy

coolercontrol if you want to do other fans too

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

DizzyBum posted:

If you use GWE, I'd be curious to see how you set the curves.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thinking of dual booting a Linux distro alongside Windows 11. I didn't think it was feasible since I have BitLocker enabled with Windows, but Copilot tells me I can disable BitLocker, give Linux its own partition and install, then re-enable BitLocker when I log into Windows.

Firstly, is anyone doing this and if so, any problems? Secondly, I am a complete Linux noob so I need baby's first Linux distro - I have played about with distros in the past but not outside a VM. Zorin OS is quite nice in a virtual machine. Recommendations?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'd just go with Mint for a noob distro. It's fine, it works, everything is good. Dual booting I've always been advised is a ballache and best avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thinking of dual booting a Linux distro alongside Windows 11. I didn't think it was feasible since I have BitLocker enabled with Windows, but Copilot tells me I can disable BitLocker, give Linux its own partition and install, then re-enable BitLocker when I log into Windows.

Firstly, is anyone doing this and if so, any problems? Secondly, I am a complete Linux noob so I need baby's first Linux distro - I have played about with distros in the past but not outside a VM. Zorin OS is quite nice in a virtual machine. Recommendations?

I have used Pop! OS on a number of different machines since 2020. It's built on Ubuntu but adds features, removes some bloat, and makes various tweaks to make it nicer to use. The software repositories are updated more frequently too. Pretty much any Ubuntu-specific tutorials, and Ubuntu packages, will work without modification.

Here is a guide I have used to set up dual boot:

https://github.com/spxak1/weywot/blob/main/Pop_OS_Dual_Boot.md