Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!
This is confusing the hell out of me - I absolutely love gaim-text (now Finch, I know I know) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to add/remove/whatever buddies in my contact list.

Any ideas, fellows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

minute posted:

mpd :words:

I'm not sure about your default output device problem (although one question to start with would be, do you have any sound at all?), but for the configure errors you posted first, your problem is likely that you need to install all the dependencies before you build. As it is it looks like even if you get your output device sorted, you won't be able to read any music files. My suggestions below stem from my reading of the guide you linked. Try this:

code:
sudo apt-get build-dep mpd
To add mp3 support, do this as well:
code:
sudo apt-get install libid3tag0 libid3tag0-dev libmad0 libmad0-dev
likewise, for ogg vorbis support, do this:
code:
sudo apt-get install libogg0 libogg-dev libvorbis0a libvorbis-dev
And for flac:
code:
sudo apt-get install libflac7 libflac-dev 
MP4/AAC:
code:
sudo apt-get install libfaad2-0 libfaad2-dev libmp4v1-0 libmp4v2-dev
MOD:
code:
sudo apt-get install libmikmod2 libmikmod2-dev
If any of these fail, telling you the package doesn't exist, you might have to enable the universe and/or multiverse repositories. To do that, run `sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list` and append " universe multiverse" (no quotes, of course) to each line beginning with 'deb' or 'deb-src', then run `sudo apt-get update`.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Smackbilly posted:

The second hard drive is /dev/hdb

The letter after hd identifies the physical drive, and the number identifies the partition. For example, hda3 is the third partition of the first drive, and hdb1 is the first partition of the second drive, etc.

Now, /dev/hda2 is an "extended" (Ext'd) partition, which is something that windows does to compensate for hardware limitations. It's basically a container for other partitions - you can't mount it. The information that you posted shows that your first hard drive (/dev/hda) has two real windows partitions (/dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5).

Look at the output of /sbin/fdisk -lu /dev/hdb, and see which partition describes itself as "HPFS/NTFS" - it's probably /dev/hdb1. That's where your music is.

YES! You just made my day!

I have 2 more questions but I wanna try to figure it out myself first but thank you so much! Not having my music is enough to make me go back to windows...

rugbert fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 18, 2007

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Well, I finally got MPD installed. I want to create a launcher for sonata on my panel, but I can't find the icon for sonata. Is there a way to find icons for various programs?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

minute posted:

Well, I finally got MPD installed. I want to create a launcher for sonata on my panel, but I can't find the icon for sonata. Is there a way to find icons for various programs?

Try searching for .xpm and .svg files in sonata's data folder, probably in /usr/share/sonata.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

minute posted:

/usr/share/pixmaps on gentoo.

or...

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I'm trying to set up this PDF creator program in a Ubuntu server at work. It's a project for me to learn how to use this, something that's small and can be useful. At any rate, I'm stuck. Here are the instructions I'm trying to follow: http://www.n-view.net/yafpc/Setup_en.php#headline4
I think I've followed everything correctly, but I'm stuck at step #6, where it says I should do lp -d pdfwriter SomePsFile.ps. I get a "lp command not found", so I'm pretty sure I hosed up somewhere on the packages I needed to install... right? What the hell did I miss? What's lp? Oh god :confused:

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

Alfajor posted:

I'm trying to set up this PDF creator program in a Ubuntu server at work. It's a project for me to learn how to use this, something that's small and can be useful. At any rate, I'm stuck. Here are the instructions I'm trying to follow: http://www.n-view.net/yafpc/Setup_en.php#headline4
I think I've followed everything correctly, but I'm stuck at step #6, where it says I should do lp -d pdfwriter SomePsFile.ps. I get a "lp command not found", so I'm pretty sure I hosed up somewhere on the packages I needed to install... right? What the hell did I miss? What's lp? Oh god :confused:

That's very odd, I've never seen a Linux system lacking lp before (It's the standard command-line tool for printing). In any case, from trawling packages.ubuntu.com, it appears it's included with two packages: cupsys-client and lprng. Try installing one of them.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Jorenko posted:

That's very odd, I've never seen a Linux system lacking lp before (It's the standard command-line tool for printing). In any case, from trawling packages.ubuntu.com, it appears it's included with two packages: cupsys-client and lprng. Try installing one of them.

You want cupsys-client; the other is old BSD lp, which CUPS replaces.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
How do I make MRTG not run from 12-1AM when my backups are made and FTP'd so I don't get useless graphs like this:

Right now it's setup to run every 5 minutes in crontab

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

fletcher posted:

How do I make MRTG not run from 12-1AM when my backups are made and FTP'd so I don't get useless graphs like this:

Right now it's setup to run every 5 minutes in crontab

Set a cron job at the beginning of your outage window to create a marker file in /tmp and then make your regular mrtg cron check for the presence of the file. Create another cron job which removes the marker at the end of the outage window.... voila!

code:
59 23 * * *     root    touch /tmp/nomrtg
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * *    root  if [ ! -e /tmp/nomrtg ]; then <insert mrtg command here>; fi
01 01 * * *     root    rm /tmp/nomrtg
Something like that....

dfn_doe fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 20, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Is there a relatively straightforward way to ActiveSync an iPaq rx5915 with Ubuntu Feisty? The firmware update I need is in EXE form :(

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

dfn_doe posted:

Set a cron job at the beginning of your outage window to create a marker file in /tmp and then make your regular mrtg cron check for the presence of the file. Create another cron job which removes the marker at the end of the outage window.... voila!

code:
59 23 * * *     root    touch /tmp/nomrtg
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * *    root  if [ ! -e /tmp/nomrtg ]; then <insert mrtg command here>; fi
01 01 * * *     root    rm /tmp/nomrtg
Something like that....

A better solution would probably be to put the start, backup, and stop in one script, for example (I have no idea how mrtg works, but you get the idea):

killall -STOP mrtg
backupcommand
killall -CONT mrtg

Then put that script in cron and it will run your backup as usual.

Carabus
Sep 30, 2002

Booya.
Has anyone tried Linux from Scratch or is Slackware the preferred method of getting a bit deeper into Linux? They both seem to have good books.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

Kinch posted:

Has anyone tried Linux from Scratch or is Slackware the preferred method of getting a bit deeper into Linux? They both seem to have good books.

After I broke Mandrake for the first time I jumped to LFS. It's a great way to figure out how all the pieces fit together, and pick bash along the way.

Back then (2000ish) it was a real pain to keep things updated due to the complete lack of package management - I basically ended up completely reinstalling every time something major got upgraded. That seems to have improved though, I have a friend running through LFS right now and he says they talk about different strategies for managing package explosion.

I don't know anything about Slackware, though.

Your HILARIOUS
Mar 15, 2003
I need to put a path into a program manually but the path in question is not on my primary drive its on a USB external drive.

Is there a simple way I can find out how to do that? Aka is there somewhere in the GUI I can see the drive list so that I can figure out the exact naming to use.

If it were windows I could look at the directory and see the path but in linux I know things are just as easy as "c drive" but I see nowhere even on the properties of my mounted drive that tell me whats its patch would be. Which is silly of them I might point out.

edit: nevermind I think I got it. Turns out the drive in question was named Media which obviously was causing me to not realize that the mount point was /media

edit edit: drat it that didn't work how the hell do you make mythtv see video files on your hard drive? I installed wait I was told to but when I go there it says there are no videos.

editx3: I got it, but its lead to OTHER issues lol

Your HILARIOUS fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 22, 2007

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to permanently change my hostname in Debian 4?

I tried running `hostname <newName>` but that resets after my system restarts.
I tried editing /etc/hosts, which works 'till I reset.
I tried making /etc/HOSTNAME, which, again, works 'till I reset.
I even made /etc/sysconfig/network, which works 'till I reset my machine.
Is there any way (other than a reformat/reinstall) to change my hostname?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Jo posted:

Is there a way to permanently change my hostname in Debian 4?

I tried running `hostname <newName>` but that resets after my system restarts.
I tried editing /etc/hosts, which works 'till I reset.
I tried making /etc/HOSTNAME, which, again, works 'till I reset.
I even made /etc/sysconfig/network, which works 'till I reset my machine.
Is there any way (other than a reformat/reinstall) to change my hostname?

Set from /etc/hostname during startup. See /etc/init.d/hostname.sh

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Faustus D.D. posted:

I need to put a path into a program manually but the path in question is not on my primary drive its on a USB external drive.

Is there a simple way I can find out how to do that? Aka is there somewhere in the GUI I can see the drive list so that I can figure out the exact naming to use.

If it were windows I could look at the directory and see the path but in linux I know things are just as easy as "c drive" but I see nowhere even on the properties of my mounted drive that tell me whats its patch would be. Which is silly of them I might point out.

edit: nevermind I think I got it. Turns out the drive in question was named Media which obviously was causing me to not realize that the mount point was /media

In the future, the console command to show all mounted devices and mount points is 'df'. For example:

code:
tyler@kusari ~ $ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1              86G  8.9G   72G  11% /
tmpfs                 943M     0  943M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb1             294G  209G   70G  76% /home
/dev/sda2              20G  7.3G   13G  38% /windows
/dev/sdc1              63M  2.2M   61M   4% /media/CARD DISK
(the -h is to make the sizes human-readable)

This shows, among other things, that the USB thumbdrive that I just plugged in is mounted on /media/CARD DISK.

There is probably a more user-friendly way to show this in your GUI, but that depends on which GUI apps you are using. In Konqueror, you can go to media:/, which will shwo you all mounted devices. You can right click, choose properties, and there's a "Mounted On:" line.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

I'm running Ubuntu server 6.10 and if I don't have any outgoing traffic on the machine, it will lose connectivity (the web pages its serving won't load, can't ftp/ssh in, etc) until I ping out from the machine. The internet connection is still working and other computers connected to the same switch still work. How would I go about fixing this, or if nobody has any ideas, how would I go about setting it up so it pings a website every minute starting when it boots up?

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Paco de Suave posted:

I'm running Ubuntu server 6.10 and if I don't have any outgoing traffic on the machine, it will lose connectivity (the web pages its serving won't load, can't ftp/ssh in, etc) until I ping out from the machine. The internet connection is still working and other computers connected to the same switch still work. How would I go about fixing this, or if nobody has any ideas, how would I go about setting it up so it pings a website every minute starting when it boots up?
That's a pretty weird problem, but to do the ping edit the crontab as a regular user (do a crontab -e) and add a line like:
code:
* * * * *     /bin/ping -c 1 4.4.2.2 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
Make sure there's a tab between the final asterisk and the command.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

sund posted:

/usr/share/pixmaps on gentoo.

or...

Awesome, thanks.

A couple more quick questions. Right now, I have WinXP installed on partition, Xubuntu on a partition and a shared FAT32 partition. I have all my music on the FAT partition. I tried adding a symbolic link to my music folder in /var/lib/mpd/music. It seems to work, I can cd into it, etc. But when I try to run sudo mpd --create-db, it won't add anything to the database. I think it has something to do with the permissions. Right now, the permissions for that partition are: drwxrwx---. I tried doing sudo chmod a+rwx, and that didn't do anything. I tried actually changing into the superuser and running chmod and still didn't do anything. Also, all the files in that partition are listed in green in terminal. I have an external harddisk also formatted as FAT32 which seems to work fine. The permissions for that are: drwxr-xr-x. I can add a symbolic link to my music directory on there and mpd adds it to the database with no problem.

Another thing, can MPD play CDs? Do I just make a symbolic link to /media/cdrom in /var/lib/mpd/music? And, can MPD access freedb?

minute fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 23, 2007

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Let me preface this by saying that I know what I'm trying to do is stupid.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04, and I have a VirtualBox with WindowsXP that has a bridged connection to the outside world, it's own IP from the router and everything. If I have a Samba share on the ubuntu machine and the Windows image accesses it, is that traffic going to go out to the network and bounce back or is the whole setup going to be smart enough to avoid putting it on the wire and just transfer it internally? How could I tell?

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04, and I have a VirtualBox with WindowsXP that has a bridged connection to the outside world, it's own IP from the router and everything. If I have a Samba share on the ubuntu machine and the Windows image accesses it, is that traffic going to go out to the network and bounce back or is the whole setup going to be smart enough to avoid putting it on the wire and just transfer it internally? How could I tell?
If they're on the same subnet it shouldn't go out through the router, but can't you just test it by disconnecting from the router and doing a file transfer?

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

The quick and dirty solution is probably to watch the activity light on the router and see if it starts blinking furiously when you access it. If that doesn't give conclusive results, or you want to be a little more scientific about it, I would get a switch that can clone its output of one port to another one, hook up another box running wireshark to the cloned port, and watch to see if you see the samba traffic.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

minute posted:

Awesome, thanks.

A couple more quick questions. Right now, I have WinXP installed on partition, Xubuntu on a partition and a shared FAT32 partition. I have all my music on the FAT partition. I tried adding a symbolic link to my music folder in /var/lib/mpd/music. It seems to work, I can cd into it, etc. But when I try to run sudo mpd --create-db, it won't add anything to the database. I think it has something to do with the permissions.

Since fat32 is not a unix-y filesystem, it does not hold unix-y information. The only way to set these for such a filesystem is with mount options. Use uid/user (owner) gid/group (group) and umask (numerical permissions, but inverted) on mount to get the correct permissions on the filesystem. Maybe you could have more than one set of permissions for the files on the partition with multiple umasks, but I don't know how that would work.

This is why you are much better off using a native linux filesystem for this sort of thing. Although I would suspect there is a way you can use a read-only directory as a mpd music source and write the db metadata to another location.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
Oh god can anyone help me out? I am in over my head and oh god :(

I recently have been trying to route my internet connection from my wireless signal into my directly-connected Xbox. In order to do this, I followed this guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=91370

After following the guide to the T, I found it actually worked. I was able to play my Xbox online through my wireless signal coming from my Ubuntu laptop.

To my dismay, every single time I boot (and sometimes randomly throughout a single session), I have to run the command listed under step 5:

code:
# dpkg-reconfigure ipmasq
There are several problems here. First, the command has to be run as root, meaning I can't even sudo it. Second, the command doesn't simply "work", but rather, opens up a blue screen in the terminal for me to hit enter several times. Once the process is confirmed and 'configured', my internet instantly works.

What can I do to make my internet "just work" every time it boots, using these settings? It is irritating and obnoxious to have to run this stupid command every time I want to use the internet on boot. Because of this, my girlfriend and other friends are unable to use my computer at any time, and I have to constantly get up to type scary commands before anyone can use the internet.

What can I do to fix this? Please help :(

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

minute posted:

A couple more quick questions. Right now, I have WinXP installed on partition, Xubuntu on a partition and a shared FAT32 partition. I have all my music on the FAT partition. I tried adding a symbolic link to my music folder in /var/lib/mpd/music. It seems to work, I can cd into it, etc. But when I try to run sudo mpd --create-db, it won't add anything to the database. I think it has something to do with the permissions. Right now, the permissions for that partition are: drwxrwx---. I tried doing sudo chmod a+rwx, and that didn't do anything. I tried actually changing into the superuser and running chmod and still didn't do anything. Also, all the files in that partition are listed in green in terminal. I have an external harddisk also formatted as FAT32 which seems to work fine. The permissions for that are: drwxr-xr-x. I can add a symbolic link to my music directory on there and mpd adds it to the database with no problem.

Another thing, can MPD play CDs? Do I just make a symbolic link to /media/cdrom in /var/lib/mpd/music? And, can MPD access freedb?

I just rip my CDs and update the database. I would suspect it can't. As for the other issue, the short, quick, and dirty solution is to run mpd as root while you find a better fix (mounting the partition as owned by mpd, or adding the mpd user to a group that owns the mounted partition. look into fstab options) just comment out the line in /etc/mpd.conf that sets the user to mpd.

mynie
Sep 16, 2002

by HELLTANK
Hey if I'm using rtorrent on Ubuntu and it says the files are being saved to the default location at ./ , where the hell can I find them in the graphical browser?

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Hmm, something isn't working right for me with openSUSE and Windows. I've got an extended partition with two NTFS logical partitions and SUSE stuck itself where I wanted it, after those partitions in its own formatting. I wasn't sure how well that'd work but it installed and started up just fine. Everything was working fine with GRUB loading my system until I ran YaST and it updated everything. The boot partition is in hda7 or (hd0,6) as GRUB would call it. Now when I try to start SUSE, the root (hd0,6) works but the kernel command gives me an error 15: file not found. None of the linux options work. The chainloading with Windows stills works fine, though.

I actually had this happen once and then reformatted those logical partitions and reinstalled SUSE, only to have the same thing happen again after using YaST. Is this just a matter of the kernel name changing or something or is the idea of using an extended partition with different types of file systems in its logical partitions really, really dumb?

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

mynie posted:

Hey if I'm using rtorrent on Ubuntu and it says the files are being saved to the default location at ./ , where the hell can I find them in the graphical browser?

They'll be in whatever directory you ran rtorrent from. (I'm guessing /home/<your-username>)

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...

minute posted:

Awesome, thanks.

I ran into this problem aswell, mpd:audio has to be the owner of the symlink (assuming you are using the default configuration).
If it looks something like this, mpd won't access the music symlink.
code:
scj@ghidora:~%> ls -l /var/lib/mpd
total 1608
lrwxrwxrwx 1 scj scj        17 2007-04-21 00:55 music -> /media/sdb1/Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 mpd audio    4096 2007-04-06 20:40 playlists
-rw-r--r-- 1 mpd audio     350 2007-04-23 23:23 state
-rw-r--r-- 1 mpd audio 1632511 2007-04-23 00:21 tag_cache
You can fix it with
code:
sudo chown -h mpd:audio /var/lib/mpd/music
Note the -h switch which de-references the symlink, otherwise you'd be changing the ownership of the folder the symlink is pointing to, not the symlink itself.

GringoGrande fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 24, 2007

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you
This is more of a Wine question that a Linux question, but I haven't been able to find the answer on WineHQ or by Googling. I'm using Ubuntu 7.04, vanilla kernel.

I'm trying to get Steam working in Wine, and everything goes smoothly (if very, very slowly), until it comes time to download the games. I start the download and it begins (at about 3.0 K/s, but I could live with that as a one time download, and I don't even think that it's a Wine problem), then after about 5 minutes Wine freezes and I get this:
code:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0xe5f4bd8 "?" wait timed out in thread 0015, blocked by 0025, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0xe5f4bd8 "?" wait timed out in thread 0015, blocked by 0025, retrying (60 sec)
which continues forever until I Ctrl-C in the console and then killall -9 wineserver.

Haven't been able to find anyone else with this or a similar problem.

edit: I'm using the Wine version from the Wine Feisty repository (0.9.35), but the version that comes with Feisty does the same thing. I've tried removing and reinstalling my whole .wine directory a couple times now, and the same thing happens with Steam each time. I run Diablo II win Wine and it works flawlessly, it's only Steam that I'm having a problem with.

fatcat fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 24, 2007

Daedalus256
Jun 26, 2005
Enjoy the silence...
Alright, Linux newbie here. I have tried out some distros before and ran ubuntu 6.06 and 6.10 for a bit. I downloaded 7.04 last night and I must say I love it. I only have one problem.

My subwoofer isn't working. I have a sound blaster audigy SE and I'm trying to get my bass to redirect (because that's what I had to do in windows) and ALSA doesn't seem to offer any options for that unless I'm missing them somewhere. I found drivers for my Audigy SE but gently caress if I know what the hell that page even says. Any help would be appreciated :)

EDIT: Here's the page I found with drivers and info on my card in linux: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Sound+Blaster+Audigy+SE.&chip=CA0106&module=ca0106

Daedalus256 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 24, 2007

Liquid Silk
Feb 20, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Small question here, with the icons in the top righthand corner, a lot have the icon on a square of white or grey, making it look pretty unsightly. Anyone know how you can change this? It's not too important.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

AlexHat posted:

Small question here, with the icons in the top righthand corner, a lot have the icon on a square of white or grey, making it look pretty unsightly. Anyone know how you can change this? It's not too important.

find the graphic file of the icons in question, open them up in gimp, use the color picker to select the offensive background color and then use the "alpha->transparency" filter. Save modified icon.

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you

AlexHat posted:

It's probably not gonna be possible for the uTorrent icon, at least. I don't know what the far left icon is, so I can't comment on that.

Additionally, why are you running Azureus and uTorrent?

Liquid Silk
Feb 20, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

fatcat posted:

It's probably not gonna be possible for the uTorrent icon, at least. I don't know what the far left icon is, so I can't comment on that.

Additionally, why are you running Azureus and uTorrent?

I had Azureus downloading a few things before I installed uTorrent... They are both good though, so far, anyway.

[Edit = Other Problem Fixed]

Liquid Silk fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 24, 2007

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

AlexHat posted:

Torrent's icon is probably gray because it's actually rendered in Wine's tray window, and has Wine's color theme. Try matching Wine's colors to your DE's theme.

HOWTO: Change colors of wine applications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Anyone have anytips on how to install Nvidia GeForce fx 5200 drivers? Theyre listed in the yum but I used the GUI package updater because Im kinda nervous but got nothing but conflict errors... I wanna pretty up my desktop!

rugbert fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 25, 2007