Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Seems kinda cruel to inflict linux on a mere child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Worse than windows 11?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

keep punching joe posted:

Have you seen Windows 11 Home?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Have you seen Windows 11 Home?

Installing this for a family member is what got me to finally switch to Linux :)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

I mean it's free and she'll just be word processing and maybe playing simple games. It seems similarly weird to pay for Windows if that's all she's doing. It should be pretty drat easy to use once set up, and if not and she learns a little about fiddling with computers til they work, bonus imo.

When I was 6 we had a DOS computer and I had to learn to launch games by typing A:\run.exe or type dir and figure out what the run file was. Looking back it was not that hard, it was a cool and formative learning experience, and I'm sure it's somewhat informing my thinking here

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Nah I think it's a fine idea.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

alnilam posted:

I'm looking to get a crappy old computer from the thrift store and set it up with linux to be my 5 year old's babby's first computer.
I wonder if something like an RPi would have the benefit of being both cheaper but also better supported? I'm not sure how much thrift store computers go for these days. But also, I wouldn't want to deal with a spinny-disk desktop in any circumstance in 2024.

alnilam posted:

maybe even make it so games have no shortcuts and must be launched from terminal for bonus computer learningness?
I probably wouldn't deviate from the stock experience (except to curtail browser access). GUI proficiency still has value on desktops currently, might make the transition from touch-based interfaces (if your kids are familiar with tablets) easier, and promotes discoverability.

The terminal is always there for when its actually needed.

alnilam posted:

Anyway I'm posting here wondering if anyone here has done something similar and has any advice based on their experience.
An entire generation of children were doing BASIC programming on Apple IIs and C64s in the 80s, so it's not unreasonable for children to pick up CLI skills and all. That said, they're hardly necessary for daily technology interactions in 2024 and I wouldn't force it. If your kids are showing an interest/proficiency for it then by all means. I just suspect that most kids aren't interested in this stuff, then or now.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah good points. She does not have any tablet or phone experience apart from video calls with grandparents so I think she'll be pretty excited by a computer she can actually do stuff with, but forcing the CLI usage might be a bit much atm.

I did think about a raspberry pi actually. I mostly use one for media playing, but I guess it should be good enough for the light usage I'm describing. Are there especially lightweight distros people tend to run on them or will Mint work fine?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Raspberry Pi have a lot of stuff aimed at kids, even preteens. You could pick up a 400 which has the dinky little keyboard and mouse, or the bare board if she wanted to get into building stuff.

Or my advice, refurb thinkpad, vanilla arch install with hyprland WM.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

alnilam posted:

I'm looking to get a crappy old computer from the thrift store and set it up with linux to be my 5 year old's babby's first computer. Mainly a learn-to-type/use a computer, a homework station, and maybe some simple games (I'm thinking maybe an NES emulator and gamepad). Probably will have internet browsing locked for the time being and slowly introduce the web as we go along.

I use Linux Mint so I was gonna do that since it's what I'm familiar with, and my general plan was to make it pretty bare bones, make her a non admin account, maybe even make it so games have no shortcuts and must be launched from terminal for bonus computer learningness?

Anyway I'm posting here wondering if anyone here has done something similar and has any advice based on their experience.

Half of the aliexpress thread bought a new N100 box last week because they finally fell under 100$, might even be cheaper then an old computer.

I do think going with whatever distro you are familiar with sound like the best option.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pi is supported for most mainstream distros, though whether it can run them well is the main thing. Maybe a lightweight one like MX or Mint XFCE would be better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You don't want kids playing with a CLI or they might end up like us.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

xzzy posted:

You don't want kids playing with a CLI or they might end up like us.

Someone has to, or the only way I can retire is to disappear in the night and change my name.

e: retire alive

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

alnilam posted:

I'm looking to get a crappy old computer from the thrift store and set it up with linux to be my 5 year old's babby's first computer. Mainly a learn-to-type/use a computer, a homework station, and maybe some simple games (I'm thinking maybe an NES emulator and gamepad). Probably will have internet browsing locked for the time being and slowly introduce the web as we go along.

I use Linux Mint so I was gonna do that since it's what I'm familiar with, and my general plan was to make it pretty bare bones, make her a non admin account, maybe even make it so games have no shortcuts and must be launched from terminal for bonus computer learningness?

gcompris, and scummvm with freddi fish.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

cruft posted:

gcompris, and scummvm with freddi fish.

I was thinking dosbox and reader rabbit to start with, these are good ideas too

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Voodoo Cafe posted:

copy chrome's .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to $HOME/.local/share/applications/ , then you can edit the lines starting with 'Exec=' to include the flag you want

so change

code:
Exec=/path/to/google/chrome 
to something like

code:
Exec=/path/to/google/chrome --my-commandline-flag
There may be multiple 'Exec' lines so you would have to change them all.

In addition, i don't know if Sway reloads these files automatically on changes, so you might have to log out and log back in for changes to take effect

This worked. Thanks!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

alnilam posted:

I was thinking dosbox and reader rabbit to start with, these are good ideas too

YES

I loved the x Rabbit series as a kid. Number Muncher passed some time, too, when I was that age.

And yeah kids will learn whatever interests them, so if she gets into CLI, cool, and if not, well, at least you can make sure she knows what a file folder is.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

VictualSquid posted:

Half of the aliexpress thread bought a new N100 box last week because they finally fell under 100$, might even be cheaper then an old computer.

I do think going with whatever distro you are familiar with sound like the best option.

This is probably a better idea than some old, loud and power hungry second hand machine with parts that may be on the way out. You can still put *nix on it if you want but it comes with Windows installed already if you don't want to deal with that and your kid (put an immutable OS and teach your kid about container orchestration at a young age - it's important to learn the basics asap)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Another kind of dumb Bazzite/atomic desktop question:

I figured out that kde global themes were failing to install because it’s an image and the sddm folder is read only. I then read that sddm2rpm resolves the issue, but when I use dnf it throws a warning that seems kinda spooky. Is building stuff with cmake common for linux tools and apps? I mostly remember tarballs executing install scripts and assumed it’d be moving to apps more like flatpaks.

I just generally can’t wrap my head around some of the limitations and decisions. It’s definitely kept me from doing something dumb while fuckin around with kde and various tweaks and things I was doing, but it was real annoying when I hit speed bumps like this.

FYI, KDE global themes are a massive security hole because their scripts can execute arbitrary code, which is not something one would expect of a theme - which also gets infinitely less scrutiny than any app package.

Recently, a buggy theme (with 3k+ downloads) ended up running rm -rf / on a user, and the KDE devs are planning how to overhaul the store to prevent this.

Until then, I would be extremely careful with themes. The bugged script was removed, but this incident may well attract malicious actors.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ok yeah so I am gonna quick fuckin around with it and go back to gnome lol

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

VictualSquid posted:

Do you have link for this? I'm in the market for these sort of box and actual goon opinions are usually better than whatever I find on reddit.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kivi posted:

Do you have link for this? I'm in the market for these sort of box and actual goon opinions are usually better than whatever I find on reddit.

It's these things. They've gone up in price a bit again but if you watch for a bit they should hopefully come back down soon. I'm running Sericea on a 16G one rn and it's been a bit of fun and all worked out of the box. I'm using it headless so nfi if that introduces any drama but given how hassle free setting things up has been I'd assume not.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ok yeah so I am gonna quick fuckin around with it and go back to gnome lol

or just use the default theme whose behavior is tested before it's packaged

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

FYI, KDE global themes are a massive security hole because their scripts can execute arbitrary code, which is not something one would expect of a theme - which also gets infinitely less scrutiny than any app package.

Recently, a buggy theme (with 3k+ downloads) ended up running rm -rf / on a user, and the KDE devs are planning how to overhaul the store to prevent this.

Until then, I would be extremely careful with themes. The bugged script was removed, but this incident may well attract malicious actors.

Note that the plasmashell process is running at your standard unprivileged user level, so it's no more or less of a security hole than any other app with unverified code. A gnome extension could do the same thing. Only thing massive about it is "massively unexpected".

I'm kinda doubtful that it's likely to attract copycats, other than a skiddie who wants to logic bomb you for using the wrong distro. A random theme used by a few hundred or thousand desktop users is not exactly a tempting target.

spiritual bypass posted:

or just use themes that have been around and have a history with other users, same as you would normally judge whether to install & run a random application

(if your normal app security policy is "nothing but what's packaged by my distro" then I guess yeah only the default themes, but also I can't imagine sticking to that with a desktop system)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

I'm kinda doubtful that it's likely to attract copycats, other than a skiddie who wants to logic bomb you for using the wrong distro. A random theme used by a few hundred or thousand desktop users is not exactly a tempting target.

On the other hand this is the kind of low risk high reward trick that griefers love. You're right that it's not a major security hole vector but it being able to do that much damage from something so innocuous is terrible design.

Why should a theme even be able to touch the root filesystem?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dehumanise yourself and face to Gnome, theming is a waste of your time and security. Just accept the adwaita lifestyle.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

spiritual bypass posted:

I was fuckin around with it since I wanted something closer to macOS haha. Bazzite 3.0 just came out so I’ll play with Plasma 6 for a little bit then probably reinstall to gnome

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Started mucking about with desktop environments again in my eternal quest for Exactly What I Want™, which mainly Wayland with fractional scaling. I run a moderately-sized (32") 4k monitor, so 100% is typically too tiny, and so far, 200% has been way too big.

My experiences so far under Fedora 40 (updated this morning from 39):

Gnome 46 - Wayland with fractional scaling out of the box. But dash2dock is dead, so meh.
XFCE 4.18 - Wayland support, says it supports fractional scaling, but choosing any of the scaling options keeps me at 100%.
Cinnamon 6 - Experimental Wayland support, and so far completely broken for me. Desktop loads, but no launcher/taskbar, etc. 125% SEEMS to work, but hard to tell when nothing else is really loaded.
KDE Plasma 6.0.3 - Everything seems to work. Loads to 175% out of the gate, and 125% seems to be that sweet spot again.

Hoo boy does plasma 6 look more and more like Windows as we go. Tempting me to fire up some bottles for stuff like Office and see how that goes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hoo boy does plasma 6 look more and more like Windows as we go. Tempting me to fire up some bottles for stuff like Office and see how that goes.
which is funny because plasma 6 design got finalized before win11 happened

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tesseraction posted:

Why should a theme even be able to touch the root filesystem?

It can't, the guy who got his system rm-rf'd by a buggy theme only had all the user-accessible directories wiped. Plasmashell is a user process. (I know "only" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.)

Why can themes run code? Because it lets them do cool things, and is why KDE is super customizable.

SDDM themes are in /usr, but if a plasma theme that included both a malicious script and a SDDM theme, the script would not get to piggyback access to root.

As far as why SSDM themes go in /usr, they have to go somewhere in the root area right? GDM theming is also in /usr, and only the fact that GDM is not officially themeable stops them from having the same problem. I dunno what the best way to make that compatible with immutable distros would be. Also, is this not a thing that immutable distros should be solving with overlays or symlinks or something?

Regardless, SDDM spent a lot of years with a semi-absent maintainer, and it sounds like this is still a problem.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Themes as flatpacks sounds like it would be annoying to arrange, but some sort of containerization would perhaps make sense.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You need an immutable distro install which launches a containerized distro with your Xwayland. After logging in you run your containerized apps as flatpacks. Your userdata is accessed through nfs, served by a virtual machine running bsd for the zfs support.

Only way to be save.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Inceltown posted:

It's these things. They've gone up in price a bit again but if you watch for a bit they should hopefully come back down soon. I'm running Sericea on a 16G one rn and it's been a bit of fun and all worked out of the box. I'm using it headless so nfi if that introduces any drama but given how hassle free setting things up has been I'd assume not.
Thanks, yeah. I was also interested in the thread discussing these boxes, but couldn't find it among the usual forums but here the link for that too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3806076

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Since the only files of any importance on the computer reside in /home , it doesn't really matter what privileges can a theme get. It doesn't need to get anything. The most amount of damage is right then and there at their fingertips.
The fact that themes can run code is ... yeah, less than ideal, to put it mildly. They should not.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Have fun using your computer to not run code

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

spiritual bypass posted:

Have fun using your computer to not run code

? What does that have to do with anything? The themes, in my opinion, should not be able to execute anything, be at most: "color for X", "icon for Y", etc.

Executing code in a theme, while it may have allowed for cool things to happen, especially when they're distributed via a "trustworthy" location (one would think they've vetted there, obviously they aren't), just creates an unnecessary attack vector. And that attack vector is against the most important thing on a computer drive: the /home folder. The only important thing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I should have clarified that the issue is specifically with Global Themes, which are meta-packages that are meant to deliver full UX setups, stuff like "make KDE look like Windows / MacOS / Android". To that end they install a bunch of components at once, and are allowed to include install scripts since they can touch more or less everything, e.g. the theme for your console app, or the behaviour of the task switcher or the login screen.

The part about them being made of several components is very clear in the settings UI (you can individually pick and choose); the part about the package including an install.sh is not, which is the issue.

However, if you simply want to change the appearance of KDE, you can safely browse and install individual "Colours" and "Windows Decorations" components, which are plain .svg and .colors files. Those are more like what people would think of as 'themes'. While avoiding the parts that can actually run code, ie. widgets, login screens.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 25, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

? What does that have to do with anything? The themes, in my opinion, should not be able to execute anything, be at most: "color for X", "icon for Y", etc.

KDE has a lot of UI stuff that's programmatic. OSD popups, splash screens, your alt-tab, etc. Themes can redefine that stuff, and even do cool theme-y things that go beyond what the standard functions do. Examples I've seen in popular ones include adding transparency effects to stuff that normally doesn't have it, dynamically re-coloring their components, and wallpaper fade/blur effects.

And that's not even getting into Kwin scripts, which is another big source of customization.

Basically the difference between "plugin/widget" and "theme component" is really blurry and mostly a matter of what category name you give it.

Volguus posted:

especially when they're distributed via a "trustworthy" location (one would think they've vetted there, obviously they aren't)

When you go to add new stuff it directly says "The content available here has been uploaded by users like you, and has not been reviewed by your distributor for functionality or stability." They're planning to change that to a more explicit warning, but it's already pretty much saying that it's not vetted.

Note also that the theme that rm-rf'd a dude's /home only did it because of some sort of bad interaction with another plugin. And the guy was somehow running that plugin in Plasma 6 despite it being a Plasma 5 plugin. I don't think there was ever a firm answer for how it got triggered, and it wouldn't have been caught with the most extensive vetting possible.

(Also we've just had a really good object lesson on the impossibility of vetting code to prevent a determined attack, so good luck with that.)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
drat, I've been spoiled by the Fedora packaging of KDE. Never felt the need to go change it from the standard Fedora Breeze. Just the wallpaper (picture of the day) and it's flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

drat, I've been spoiled by the Fedora packaging of KDE. Never felt the need to go change it from the standard Fedora Breeze. Just the wallpaper (picture of the day) and it's flying.

Nah that's pretty much the KDE defaults everywhere. The standard theme is great unless you need your desktop to look like a vaporwave meme or whatever.

Right now I have one clock widget and a cute splash screen installed from the store. In plasma 5 I briefly used a store theme that could self-modify to change the highlight color, on things like the active app on the taskbar. But I didn't like some parts of it, so I figured out how to do the accent color and modded the default breeze theme instead.

But if other people like crazy themes I ain't gonna yuck their yums. And I think it's very good that themes can do more than just change icons or reskin the window borders.