Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

I'm in the process of migrating a FreeBSD web application server to Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. (There's a very long set of circumstances leading up to this so let's please not sidetrack this into a religious argument.) One thing from FreeBSD that I miss a lot is the daily emails to root that the cronjobs send out, with various security and system audits and the like.

I could hand-convert those cronjobs and scripts and things, but that seems like I'd be reinventing the wheel because surely somebody has implemented this for Linux already. Any ideas?

I'd really like to know this too. The scripts would probably be trivial to port over but... I'm lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

I have a new 500gb HD in a USB enclosure I'd like to be able to have connected to my PS3, and every so often connect it to my windows box so I can transfer files for backup.

The disk has to be formatted in FAT32 for the PS3 to be able to see it. If I go to linux, use fdisk to create a primary parition, set it to "WIN95 FAT32", then format write the changes, the PS3 can see it and happily transfer files over.

However, if I connect it to my windows box, it says the hard drive is "Raw" and needs to be formatted before it can be used.

Am I not formatting it correctly in linux? fdisk stands for "Format disk", doesn't it?

(I guess this could be a windows question, but I'm asking it here because I'm assuming I'm formatting it incorrectly in linux)

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

parasyte posted:

You'd need to mkfs.vfat it to actually format the drive, all fdisk does is play with partition tables. That might be what it's choking on.

Also you probably want the type to be WIN95 FAT32 (LBA). I don't know whether or not that'd be an issue though.

Thank you, I'll give that a shot when I get home.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Stupid question, and I'm probably going to make this confusing but...-

How do I run a script from crontab, and have the dir the script is in be the default dir?

For example, I have /home/me/.rss2email with the python script "r2e" in that dir. The dir contains other scripts required by "r2e", so when I add "/home/me/.rss2email/r2e run" I want it to not say "otherscript.py not found".

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

I had my setup just right, and all of a sudden emacs stops working (well, I installed XFCE4 and did a reboot) with the error:

"No font backend available."

I didn't muck around with any libraries and the emacs configure script doesn't complain so I don't know where to start trying to fix this...

Arch linux by the way.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

In gnome with the openbox wm, how can I have an app (or all apps, preferably) open as maximized?

After some googling it seems I might have to just specify via command line options for each launcher, which would be a pain in the rear end.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

I'm trying to find the best way to merge some simple text files between two computers on my home network. Basically I want to be able to edit the same file on either computer, and be able to switch computers at some point and be able to edit the same file (after the changes). This is simple when I am connected to the network, I can just use tramp in emacs to edit the remote file. But when I want to leave the network with my laptop, I'd like the changes to be applied to my home pc at some point without me manually initiating it.

I'd like to avoid dropbox for various reasons, and although git is overkill it would make it easy to handle diffs and I can just set up a cron job to periodically push the changes, but it seems a bit convoluted. rsync seems the best, but the problem is I can't figure out a way to merge the two files if I've edited them both independently when cron runs and wants to copy it one way or the other. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks guys, I haven't checked out either of those.